TV options help

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Mat_M, Jun 18, 2003.

1. Mat_M

Mat_M Stunt Coordinator

So I'm kind of in a beginning stage as to what TV I'm going to upgrade to, so I'd like some input. I don't want to ask things like, "what's the best TV for $XXXX" or "which TV is best for me".

I'd like to start more general and work my way into the specific questions. So it's obvious to me that the best choice when purchasing a TV is based upon things such as room size, room lighting (if getting a projector), WAF, price, lifetime of the unit, picture quality, etc.. What I'd like you guys to help me out with is pointing me in a couple of directions/websites that will ask me all the options I'm interested in. The fact is, I've NEVER bought a TV before. I'm just about graduated, and every TV I've ever owned has been a hand-me-down from parents or older siblings.

With that said, I guess what I'm trying to find out is, I want to know just about every option someone looks into before buying a TV. I've read the Display Devices forum for about two weeks now, and I'm still confused at what I should be looking for for my needs. Hell, I'm still trying to figure out what my needs are! Is there like a 'how to pick the right tv' FAQ? or something similar? Are there FAQ's that list the pros/cons of owning a 4:3 as opposed to 16:9? Or how room size affects your choice?

Anything and everything you guys post will be helpful.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Let's start with the basics, Mat:

Where will your viewing room be, and what do you plan on watching (percentage-wise—DVDs, possibly HDTV, etc.)?

3. Mat_M

Mat_M Stunt Coordinator

For the next year or so I'll still be in my apartment, where the viewing distance is about 10 feet. Between TV and movies, the split is about 50/50, and HDTV won't be an option until I move into a permanent residence.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Also, Mat, for some background, go to the Basics area and click on the HTF Beginner's FAQ edited by Vince Maskeeper. It covers much of the territory you're concerned with.

Do you have a preference when it comes to the issue of direct-view versus rear-projection sets? At ten feet, you're going to want at least a 36-inch screen.

5. Mat_M

Mat_M Stunt Coordinator

I've read Vince's HTF FAQ in the past, but didn't pay much attention to the video section. I'll do that right now.

As for direct-view vs. rear projection, it is my understanding that rear-projection sets require you be sitting in a sweet spot for good viewing. Is this completely true? I've noticed that when I venture to places like Ultimate Electronics, there are TVs who's picture gets dull and dark when you're not perpendicular to the screen. A factor like this would have a huge bearing in my decision making.

6. Mat_M

Mat_M Stunt Coordinator

One more thing, this post:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...22#post1261122

Is the type of article(s) I'm looking for, where it forces me to think about options that I didn't know about before, such as how anamorphic DVD's will appear on both types of sets.

Another random thought popped in my head: Although I don't get to play much, I'd like to make use of my Gamecube's progressive mode on some of my games.

7. Mat_M

Mat_M Stunt Coordinator

In post #5 above, am I correct to assume the sweet-spot thing about rear-projection TVs?

8. Mat_M

Mat_M Stunt Coordinator

Just got back from Ultimate Electronics to check out the TVs. So now I've made up my mind that definitely I want a 16:9 TV. A couple of the models that stood out at me and said, "hey I look good" were the Pioneer Elite RPTV's, the Sony Grande Wegas, a Samsung RPTV (don't remember the model number), and some Samsung plasma TV's called Tantus. If anyone has any opinion on these particular TV's, good or bad, please comment.

Thanks