What's new

TV on DVD-will studios follow up? (1 Viewer)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I've noticed that a LOT of TV has started to make its way to disc in "first season" box sets, but I'm starting to wonder how many of these series are actually going to be seen all the way through. I know that the Simpsons is going to be out in August, but looking at my own collection I see first seasons of Twin Peaks and Oz, and have heard nothing about a possible release for the followups. Even something like the Simpsons is questionnable-will they ever make it to releasing all 14+ seasons? I know I'll keep buying em...

Kurt N

Stunt Coordinator
This is something that has bothered me as well. I've commented on this in at least one other thread.

Sad as it is, I'm sure some series will have 1 or 2 seasons released and then be forgotten due to lackluster sales. All in the Family is (perhaps) my all-time favorite series. When season 1 came out on DVD, I saw no signs of a great rush to get it. I've heard nothing of season 2. At all. This is a series I'd sell my soul for. Part of me is glad the same compamy is putting out season 1 of the Jeffersons, but a bigger part of me would like to see AITF finished first.

I'm trying to put on my optomist face and be glad I'm getting some of my favorite memories on disc and reminding myself that every sale could make a difference.

Hard to believe now, but I bought season 1 of Buffy-never having seen an episode-to show support for tv on DVD. Things are definitely looking better than just a few months ago.

Dave Anderson

Second Unit
Well, from a studio's point it makes sense not to continue releasing seasons if the dvds aren't selling enjoy to justify it. I don't think you have to worry about the popular shows like Simpsons, X-Files, Buffy, etc. But yeah, I can see AITF having poor sales. What can you do except spread the word?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I think CTS has a very good idea about how many people will be buying AITF, Jeffersons and Sanford and Son. After all, they have years of Columbia House to use as a model

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
If they do not release subsequent seasons of AITF on DVD I will think twice about any DVD purchase from Columbia TriStar.

Sarah S

Second Unit
On the other hand, Stargate SG-1 is finally getting the second season released after a wait of about 2 years (not sure of the exact amount of time here). It might take longer to get the studios to follow through with releasing other seasons of shows like AITF, but hopefully every season would be released. Eventually.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I would buy every season of the Simpsons without hesitation. Even if they all came out in the same year!

Also, I really hope they put Seinfeld out eventually. I know it probably has to do some more time in syndication, but I would absolutely love to have the complete seasons.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Sad as it is, I'm sure some series will have 1 or 2 seasons released and then be forgotten due to lackluster sales
From what I heard Twin Peaks sold like hot cakes. I certainly don't have a reason to doubt they'll release season 2, but if they don't, it can't be because of lacking sales.
Ted

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I think, for the most part, that some of this concern is rather premature. I've said it before and will say so again: follow-ups are going to happen for the most part.

You have to consider that they put out Season 1's, with no work done on follow-up seasons until they see whether the first one flies or not.

Okay, so I'm Studio X and I just put out "Fun Show, 1st Season" last month, after getting it developed for six months. Now, after a month of studying sales figures, I'm doing what? Unless it's just screaming off the shelves faster than free copies of Penthouse with nude J.Lo on the cover (gee...what a mind I've got this morning!), then I'm probably waiting ANOTHER 1-2 months of examining sales figures before I authorize the authoring boys to fire up development on Season 2.

So, how long NOW before the next set arrives on shelves?

Patience, young Jedi...

LeeL

Stunt Coordinator
But you still have to figure that with some shows, there is a definite following, cult or otherwise, that would justify continual release on a season-by-season basis.

The Simpsons is one, for sure, as are the Star Trek series, and although we may not see it some time, Babylong 5. Buffy has a huge following (I don't see the appeal, but whatever), Oz, Sopranos, etc. Six Feet Under will probably do well as well.

Some of the older shows, I really am not too sure about. Yeah, it might be neat to see Sanford and Son and the Jeffersons. But are the target markets for those ones truly diehard fans, or the people with the disposable income to keep buying season sets? Maybe not.

Either way, it'll be interesting to see how quickly Fox follows up with Simpsons S3, since Buffy is in what, her 2nd season release already? 3rd?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
You actually just proved my point!

The "obvious" shows with the super-giant fanbase of folks WITH disposable incomes will get their follow-ups automatically.

With other shows, though, the studios will give it more thought. More episodes of "Til Death Us Do Part", anyone?

That's what I thought. Too bad; good show.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
There are also a lot of fans of "All in the Family," "The Jeffersons," and "Sanford & Son" who are in an, ahem, older demographic and who have not even purchased a DVD player, let alone thought about whether they want box sets of old 70's TV shows.

I'm the only one in my family and immediate circle of friends who owns a DVD player. A couple of them are considering purchases not because they particularly want them, but because they're sick of going into the store and seeing six aisles of DVD's and only one shelf of VHS.

The penetration of players still isn't all that great, especially among our wiser, more mature population who would be likely to purchase these sets of older shows because "all TV today is crap."

Kenny Goldin

Second Unit
I'm still waiting around for 90210. I would think that would have a pretty big fan base, no? Plus it is a FOX property I think so you would think they would put it out and it would be a nice set...

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
yeah it something I think about often, if I grab this reboot/roughnecks/etc, will I be able to get the rest?

some yes, some no. but it does influence my decision to buy.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
The Simpsons will never make it. There just isn't enough time. It'll take over ten years at the current rate.
-Dave

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Kenny Goldin wrote:
Beverly Hills 90210 was produced by Aaron Spelling's company which was bought up by Viacom, the parent of Paramount Pictures & Paramount televison, which latter distributes the show in second-run syndication nowadays, I believe ( and if the IMDB.COM Website information on this is to be believed). I suspect the homevideo rights lie with Paramount Home Video.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
"The Simpsons will never make it. There just isn't enough time. It'll take over ten years at the current rate.

-Dave"

i think that all depends...if the show keeps on going for ten or more years (that'd be something, but given the quality of the past couple/few years, i'd rather have it end soon), then the dvds will probably keep on coming out at the current rate...but i doubt it. i can only see the simpsons going for a few more years, and i think we'll see the release of the dvds go a lot faster then...as long as they don't go work on a movie immediately after the tv show stops...

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
Hey...now that Columbia is starting to release season sets of TV shows, I'm waiting for them to release season sets of The Critic, and, through its Jim Henson Home Entertainment label, The Muppet Show (Sure, after all 20 volumes of the Columbia "Best Of" series is available, we'll have 60 of the 120 episodes on DVD, but the only way we would be able to see the episodes with lesser-knowns like, say, Christopher Langham, would be in season sets...), as well as Fraggle Rock.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Time Life does the Muppet sets
I have to agree that we're not going to see season sets. Since Columbia is just distroing the existing discs, and the show has no real ongoing continuity, I don't see it getting that treatment :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks