TV on DVD Timing

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Jon Martin, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

A question, why don't current TV seasons get released in the summer, rather than the fall? It seems that it would give more time for audiences to catch up with a show, then be ready to watch when the new season begins. As it stands now, most of last season't shows aren't being released on DVD until right around when the new season begins, making it impossible for new fans to watch and catch up before the new season begins.

For example, the show VERONICA MARS. Despite the rave critical reviews, I had never seen the show. But, in order to get people interested, CBS aired the pilot and another episode last Friday. I watched it and LOVED the show. So, I wanted to watch the rest of the season. Unfortunately the second episode they showed was from later in the season and I wasn't sure of a lot of what was going on, so I figured I'd have to wait for the DVD.

But, the DVD doesn't come out until the second season starts. Meaning, I probably won't be able to watch it in time for the second season to air. So, I'd have to wait for the second season to be on DVD to see it.

I understand from a marketing purpose, how they can advertise the DVDs AND the new season at the same time, but it just seems natural to release them earlier, build an audience on DVD then convert them into regular show watchers. This is how I got into 24, getting the box set over the summer and then watching it all before the second season began. I don't know why more don't do this.

2. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Waiting until closer to the new season to release the DVDs is done to help promote the new season and at the same time, the new season helps promote the DVDs.

Plus, some shows might not have enough time to get supplements (especially commentaries) on later episodes in the season. Then everyone would whine that they should've waited a few months to release it so there could have been more special features.

You could always tape/Tivo the episodes that you're gonna miss until you catch up on the earlier season[​IMG]

And in America, 24: Season One came out about five weeks before Season Two started not over the summer.

3. Katherine_K

Katherine_K Second Unit

Another reason is that contractional obligations to the networks might prevent the studio from releasing DVDs until after the network begins airing a new season.

4. seanOhara

seanOhara Supporting Actor

Veronica Mars is a special case. The WB gave creator Rob Thomas a choice -- release a bare-bones set in September, or wait until next year for a tricked out set. He decided getting the DVDs on the market before the next season starts was more important than special features, so he picked the September release date. Unfortunately, Warners decided it was releasing too many series in September, and VM got the short end of the stick. So now we're getting a bare-bones set that won't come out until after season 2 begins.

On the other hand Lost Season 1 comes out a couple weeks before season 2 begins, and I expect 24 Season 4 will be out before season 5 primieres.

5. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

Actually, Warner didn't want to compete with Desperate Housewives and Lost. As far as I know they don't have an overabundance of stuff coming out in Sept.

You can easily tape the first 3 of season 2 and then catch up. It's obnoxious... but at least you won't have to wait for the season to end (and be potentially spoiled to plot information, etc.)

6. MichaelColvin

MichaelColvin Stunt Coordinator

I'm having the same thing with Battlestar Gallactica. I want to watch S1 and the miniseries, but the release (not the BB exclusive thing) doesn't until september. So alas, the timing isn't down quite yet. But I agree with you than it could work really well...

And watch Veronica Mars - you'll love it!

cheers, Michael [​IMG]

7. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

Alias: Season 4 doesn't come out till way after season 5 starts. [​IMG]
    I think they should come out about a month both the new season starts to give enough time for the viewer to watch the whole set, but that's just me.

8. Katherine_K

Katherine_K Second Unit

And absolutely kill the ratings for the broadcast network showing the tail end of last years reruns? That may make sense to you for your convience as a TV viewer, but not financially to a studeo if they antagonize a network (assuming they aren't contractually forbidden to do so).

9. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

But for a lot of these shows (24, ALIAS) they don't rerun the show, just once in regular season, no reruns.

They are rerunning LOST though, but that seems to be the only one.

10. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Smallville's a DVD-only show for me, and it's just as well. I could record the first few episodes and catch up with them after finishing the set, but I'm not so sure I'd watch a season on TV and then buy it three or four months later anyway. Eventually, but not right away.