What's new

TV-on-DVD Recommendations (1 Viewer)

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
If you enjoy personal drama blended with action, adventure, intrigue, and treachery, I would also recommend La Femme Nikita.

(Two seasons out already...third streets on 6/28; fourth full season and a short 8-ep fifth -- and final -- season still to come.)

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
And, since you're already into The X-Files, have you checked out Millennium? (First two seasons are out already; the third was recently announced for September 6.)

I would recommend The Lone Gunmen also. A bit quirky, of course, but good fun. (Complete series already out.)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I do have Millennium and The Lone Gunmen, of course :)

Thanks for the recommendations. I've decided on Nip/Tuck (because it seems to have a lot in common with Six Feet Under) and just ordered it from DeepDiscountDVD, and they're having a 20% off sale, so it was just 33 bucks.

Will_C

Second Unit
Real Name
Will
I'd also like to throw in a vote for Angel and since no one has mentioned it - Babylon 5. Especially seasons 3 and 4. As was mentioned regarding the periond settin of Deadwood and westerns, B5 is a serious drama that happens to be set in the future, i.e. it is seen as sci-fi by many. But definitely worth checking out. I also enjoy the origial CSI and CSI:Miami, and Law and Order:SVU. Another crime drama that you might enjoy is the first and second set of Wiseguy. If you enjoy Kevin Spacey's acting, check out the second set and you'll see why Hollywood sat up and took notice of him. I've only watched a few episodes of The Shield on FX, but it seems to be a great show.

If I may comment on another FX show previously mentioned, Nip/Tuck isn't for everyone. I gave it a try and became quite uncomfortable with some of the more explicit acts and aspects of some of the the show's characters. I'd recommend a rental to be sure it's what you might like before purchasing. But that's just me.

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor

Yay!!! Paul, if you like Six Feet Under then I don't think you will have any problems with Nip/Tuck . Just a little bit of heads up...there is cussing and nudity on that show that you will be very surprised to see on a network show. I know I was shocked the first time I watched it, but in a good way. I guess I like the naughty stuff. :D Some people get squimish with the surgery scenes but I find them fascinating.

After you watch the first disc you will have to report back because I will be very interested to hear your thoughts on the show and to see if we have the same taste in shows.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

I definitely will. And from reading reviews, this really seems up my alley and very much like Six Feet Under, which totally blew me away (I watched the first three seasons in a marathon session, first season set being a blind buy, and the other two seasons ordered after I was done watching the first episode).

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Well I'm almost done with the first season of Nip/Tuck, and I must say you people were right. It's a great show. It started just a little slow, but quickly hooked me. I have the Second Season on preorder already. And surprisingly I didn't find the surgeries that appalling. The only time I winced and had to look away was when they showed the traumatized head of that hit-and-run girl, Cara Fitzgerald. Which was obviously a dummy, but quite shocking.

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
I'll add in my votes for Alias and 24, which are two of my favorites. I'd add in La Femme Nikita if I owned it, but the prices are too steep for my tastes currently (when the entire series is out, I'll probably buy it all in one fell swoop).

Katherine_K

Second Unit
MI-5 (Spooks if you are not a US watcher). BBC series about the British Security Service, probably the best spy series ever. Much the same style as 24, and more realistic than Alias. The DVD sets (they're in two volumes so far, first with six episodes, the second with ten) are also easily the best I've ever seen. Hours and hours of bonus material. It lacks the science fiction angle, but otherwise very comparable with the X-Files.

The West Wing I can't speak for season 5+, but the four seasons currently on DVD are amazing. Though the show is about politics it's more about characters who believe in ideals, and you need not be political to enjoy it. You don't even need to agree with the characters POV to enjoy it.

ER Only the first three seasons yet on DVD, but Warner's done a nice job with the sets. Highly watchable television though I honestly watch it on my computer so I can multitask during the graphic scenes and just listen to them. Having watched my sister do her residency, I can say that she thought it was very realistic.

Babylon 5 The first season is a little shakey, but mostly because the series was really doing something that hadn't really been done on series television before, so it wasn't quite as on task until season 2. It also suffered from a very wooden lead actor in the first season. Otherwise it's very intense, with amazing music, great character developement, and a much tighter "mythology" than Chris Carter was ever able to do with the X-Files. Otherwise it could be viewed as akin to the X-Files if that series had been set two hundred and fifty years from now.

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor

Cool! I'm so glad you are enjoying it. If you like Nip/Tuck then you might want to give Rescue Me a try after that. Last summer I tried to get into it but couldn't and then I had a few friends highly recommend it so I gave it another try and it definitely caught on this time. I'm now watching the current season and loving it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks