What's new

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
In the case of the "Gomer Pyle" and "Everybody Hates Chris" complete series re-re-releases, likely the primary difference might be the case design.

Also the dvd discs might be possibly manufactured at BMG's disc manufactuirng plant in Germany, and not Mexico.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Most of my experiences I have with discs manufactured at BMG's plant in Guetersloh, North Rhine-Westphalia Germany, are audio cd discs. It turned out this particular BMG plant had the best consistent quality control out of the other european based disc manufacturing plants for audio cd discs.

For quite a few years, I've been skeptical of audio cd discs manufactured at just about every remaining american, british, western europe, and several other austrian/german discs manufacturing facilities (such the optimal media plant with mould sid code IFPI 97** which were repeatedly pumping out defective Beatles cd/dvd/bluray sets over the past few years).

I can't say for sure whether the ViacomCBS / Paramount american released dvd / bluray discs manufactured in Guetersloh, Germany (with mould sid code IFPI 07**) will also have better quality control, than their previous dvd/bluray discs manufactured at Technicolor's giant plant in Guadalajara, Mexico (with mould sid code IFPI KK**).

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Most of my experiences I have with discs manufactured at BMG's plant in Guetersloh, North Rhine-Westphalia Germany, are audio cd discs. It turned out this particular BMG plant had the best consistent quality control out of the other european based disc manufacturing plants for audio cd discs.

For quite a few years, I've been skeptical of audio cd discs manufactured at just about every remaining american, british, western europe, and several other austrian/german discs manufacturing facilities (such the optimal media plant with mould sid code IFPI 97** which were repeatedly pumping out defective Beatles cd/dvd/bluray sets over the past few years).

I can't say for sure whether the ViacomCBS / Paramount american released dvd / bluray discs manufactured in Guetersloh, Germany (with mould sid code IFPI 07**) will also have better quality control, than their previous dvd/bluray discs manufactured at Technicolor's giant plant in Guadalajara, Mexico (with mould sid code IFPI KK**).
What makes you even think there is a problem? You reply as though you think there is a problem when nothing, absolutely nothing, suggests anything approaching a problem. Please don't invent problems

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
What makes you even think there is a problem? You reply as though you think there is a problem when nothing, absolutely nothing, suggests anything approaching a problem. Please don't invent problems

If you do not believe there are any "problems", feel free to ignore all my posts ranting about it. If you want to go all in, feel free to place my username into your ignore list and file a complaint with the administrators. ;)

It is no big loss to me if I get banned from too many complaints from you and others on here. :)

(With all that being said).

I've had a few problems with some discs which were manufactured at Technicolor's mexico plant. Not as much as other plants, but they do exist. For example, the quality control of a few Shout Factory complete series dvd sets I purchased over the past year are considerably inferior, which were manufactured at Technicolor's mexico plant. I had to do more than one exchange, until I got a defect free set.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
VEI got McCloud. Well, I'll have to think about that one. I already have all 7 seasons from Australia and I'm quite pleased with them. Also, I'm not sure that I'm ready to sit through the series again. By the time I got to season 5, I was getting quite bored with it. Season 6 and 7 were a struggle to get through.

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
VEI still has their mitts on McCLoud. Damn!
I think you are confusing McCloud with McMillan & Wife as VEI have never put out any DVD releases of McCloud.

The only releases of McCloud were from Universal- S1&2 back in 2005 (double-sided discs) and then in 2017 the re-released S1 on single-sided discs.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Interesting that Universal is offering Brooklyn Nine-Nine as a bluray compete series set (via mod).

If this is the going way forward for future Universal owned tv shows, then I would be inclined to just wait until a current/recent show is over, before buying any dvd (or bluray) sets.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The 1990s Robocop tv series is a tempting purchase.

Though thinking about it more, it was produced during the mid-1990s which likely means it was edited in postproduction on digital videotape and locked in at 480i ntsc resolution at 4:3 ratio fullscreen. So unless they went back to the original film reels and re-scanned everything at hd/4K (or higher) resolution while editing all the episodes again, then this upcoming dvd/bluray likely won't be much different than the 2010 dvd version released by Alliance (in really atrocious packaging which warped the discs).

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The 1990s Robocop tv series is a tempting purchase.

Though thinking about it more, it was produced during the mid-1990s which likely means it was edited in postproduction on digital videotape and locked in at 480i ntsc resolution at 4:3 ratio fullscreen. So unless they went back to the original film reels and re-scanned everything at hd/4K (or higher) resolution while editing all the episodes again, then this upcoming dvd/bluray likely won't be much different than the 2010 dvd version released by Alliance (in really atrocious packaging which warped the discs).
Actually, the Blu will be worse since it's a crop and chop job to make it fake widescreen.

The DVD set will likely be on par with the previous release, since that's being released in the correct OAR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliwilliams12
Recent bookmarks