What's new

TV on DVD news roundup (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
If the upcoming Baywatch complete series bluray set are the same HD transfers which were used for the germany blurays, then this might be worthwhile. (Rumor has it the germany blurays had a new pan-and-scan done in 16:9 aspect ratio). The purported HD screenshots found via googling images, look a lot better than the ntsc picture quality on the reruns I have seen over the past few years.

On the other hand, if this Baywatch bluray set is just a dumb ntsc->hd passive upscaling, then it would be a waste of time and cash. Mind as well just buy the dvd versions from overseas.
I'll be purchasing it regardless. If it ends up being terrible, a quick sell on E-Bay, and all is forgiven.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Not quite sure what to think of this re-release of Venture Bros season 2. I suspect it might just be a straight repressing of original 2007 version of the dvd.

It would be a very different matter if this re-release of season 2 is an uncensored version.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I had no idea there were recent releases of Halifax, f.p. I have the first two seasons' worth of episodes on Aussie DVD from 15 or so years ago.

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
Lancelot Link: Secret Chimp! What a bizarre series to be coming out on DVD. It's tempting, just because it's so insane, but I think I can live without it.
If you are a Amazon Prime member, all 17 episodes are available to watch there.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Lancelot Link: Secret Chimp! What a bizarre series to be coming out on DVD. It's tempting, just because it's so insane, but I think I can live without it.
It's a rerelease with added "box o junk" stuff.

The original release was in 2012 and is still available:
1623499842597.png

It has *these* "special features":
Interviews with Allan Sandler & Bob Emenegger
"I Created Lancelot Link" Documentary by Jeff Krulik and Diane Bernard
Footage of Lancelot Link and Allan Sandler at the Wildlife Waystation
Slideshow of pictures and stills provided by Allan Sandler and LIFE Magazine
Complete Evolution Revolution vignettes and "Chimpies" from the 17 original episodes

The new one puts a slip cover over the case and adds some bonus stuff:
Episode Synopses
Limited Edition Character Trading Cards
Limited Edition Merchandise Store
Bonus CD of original 1970 vinyl release (the 4th disc in the set)

1623499654809.png

The new set is currently ~$5 more than the original (which is a reasonable ~$15 at Amazon).

I already own a copy of the original but don't think those few extras would temp me to upgrade were I just now making a purchase. I mentioned it recently to my 10yo granddaughter and then showed her a youtube video of one of the shorts (we were away from home so couldn't play the discs). She found it quite bizarre, just like I did when it originally aired. And those Evolution Revolution vignettes are just as lame as they were back then... but it *was* the years when every show felt like they needed a "rock" music interlude to keep the younger generation interested...

Mark Y

Screenwriter
I already have the first ("public domain") incomplete set released by Image Entertainment, and the later "official" set. If the price is right, I might spring for the new one for the bonus CD of the album, which aside from a stray song or two on a various artists comp, I don't think has ever been on CD before.

I hope they correct the authoring of the previous set. The beginning of the show opening is clipped (joined in progress) on (IIRC) all but one show.

(EDIT: It looks like this is just a repackaging as far as the episodes go.)

I somehow missed (or forgot) this show in its original run. I caught it in the 1980s when a local station included segments from it in a morning cartoon show. I laughed out loud at some of it. Very clever job with the dialogue. It seems like it was either ad-libbed or written to fit the chimps' mouth movements, even to the point of stretching out words for emphasis, and characters saying "gesundtheit" when someone sneezes. The humor still holds up, at least for me.

Last edited:

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I have been meaning to pick this since the original release. I saw this when I was 6 in 72 and loved it then and never forget it. So I am curious how it will hold up now. Most Saturday morning shows do hold up for me.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
I have been meaning to pick this since the original release. I saw this when I was 6 in 72 and loved it then and never forget it. So I am curious how it will hold up now. Most Saturday morning shows do hold up for me.
I miss Saturday Morning Cartoons. Today, we have more channels but nothing good on.

--jthree

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I really feel sorry for today's kids and the lack of those super Saturday morning cartoon shows. While I'm a 60s kid and don't care for most of the later ones they were *still* better than most of what passes for kid's cartoon shows today. And the last time I bothered to check Saturday mornings it looked like it was all news programs. What a waste...

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
That's why I'm lucky that my childhood was during the transitional period when Saturday morning still had sway but cable was starting to become a major player in animated shows. Mine was the last generation to have a childhood untouched by the Internet.

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
MeTV is airing 3 hours of cartoons on Saturday mornings. Popeye and the Pink Panther from 7-8 am eastern followed by an hour of Tom & Jerry cartoons. Tex Avery and other MGM cartoons are sprinkled into the show. Then at 9, its an hour of WB cartoons with "Bugs Bunny & Friends". Cartoons are not edited (except for some extreme racial gags) and most have been restored and look great.
Only problem is that instead of ads for toys & cereal, the spots are for knee replacements and medication.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'd say those ads are due to the typical audience for MeTV. It seems to be aimed directly at us aging kids from the 60s/70s with it's programming. Just seems logical the commercials would be aimed at that age group as well. Most of today's kids are watching youtube or streaming and not "live" TV. At least I know that's true of my 6 grandkids, ages 4-17.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks