What's new

TV on DVD news roundup (1 Viewer)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Wonder how many episodes VEI will be cramming per disc, in that Stargate SG1 complete series bluray set.

IIRC, the first two or three seasons were done on 16mm film.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Wonder how many episodes VEI will be cramming per disc, in that Stargate SG1 complete series bluray set.

IIRC, the first two or three seasons were done on 16mm film.
True HD only begins with season 8, IIRC.

Best to wait until a guinea pig has this set to tell us how bad VEI has screwed the pooch.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
True HD only begins with season 8, IIRC.

Best to wait until a guinea pig has this set to tell us how bad VEI has screwed the pooch.
I thought VEI's treatment of The Bad News Bears (1979-80) looked great, even with the number of episodes per disc (12 on disc 1, 14 on disc 2). I thought that, with the second disc, that the episodes would look really muddy as a result of the number of episodes on this disc.

~Ben

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I thought VEI's treatment of The Bad News Bears (1979-80) looked great, even with the number of episodes per disc (12 on disc 1, 14 on disc 2). I thought that, with the second disc, that the episodes would look really muddy as a result of the number of episodes on this disc.

~Ben

It could also be because that release was vanilla-- no bonuses (that could have easily made the PQ go down, because bonuses are additional content).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr

Just hope it is not a dumb lazy ntsc->hd upscale for the seasons before season 8.

Out of whatever botch jobs vei has done, the only VEI tv on bluray set I've seen that appeared to be using genuine hd transfers was the 1975 Invisible Man. They crammed the pilot + 12 episodes all onto one bluray disc.

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
It could also be because that release was vanilla-- no bonuses (that could have easily made the PQ go down, because bonuses are additional content).

According to the cbs syndication bible, bad news bears has hd transfers.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Just hope it is not a dumb lazy ntsc->hd upscale for the seasons before season 8.

Out of whatever botch jobs vei has done, the only VEI tv on bluray set I've seen that appeared to be using genuine hd transfers was the 1975 Invisible Man. They crammed the pilot + 12 episodes all onto one bluray disc.

This is VEI we're talking about. It's doubtful they're doing anything but slapping them onto a disc. No work whatsoever will be put into them by VEI. I figure whatever MGM's current masters used for streaming and Comet TV are, that's what these will be.

Oh, and no TV news for the next two weeks because of the holidays. TSOD is back on, what, January 8th.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr

Heh.

On other message boards, it sounds like seasons 1 to 7 are dumb upscaling jobs with DNR applied on top of the lazy upscales !

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Heh.

On other message boards, it sounds like seasons 1 to 7 are dumb upscaling jobs with DNR applied on top of the lazy upscales !
So, you’re answering yourself, using unverified (and probably negatively biased) ‘information’ from message boards

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
So, you’re answering yourself, using unverified (and probably negatively biased) ‘information’ from message boards
Most everyone elsewhere seems to be going on the look of screencaps, and screencaps are worth about as much as a festering bowl of dog snot.

There just aren't enough people yet with a copy for there to be any general consensus on what it looks like. But what's out there already for streaming is probably what VEI was given.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
But what's out there already for streaming is probably what VEI was given.

This is what I suspect too. Unless MGM was willing to invest entirely in a new 4K restoration and redoing all the special effects in 4K resolution.

I would be very surprised if VEI had the cash upfront to pay for an extensive 4K restoration.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Also in the news with MGM exploring options about putting the company up for sale, they might be having difficulties obtaining bank loans for any movie/show that doesn't appear to be a "slam dunk". (ie. Stuff that isn't James Bond).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Back in the day circa 2011-12, I was waiting for Stargate Universe season 2 to be released on bluray. Though that never happened at the time.

(Stargate Universe season 1 was one of the first tv on bluray sets I purchased).

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Yep, now we can have the whole Stargate canon on blu. I'm still holding out on reviews for SG-1.

I was also starting to worry about "Legacies" which a nice show and a worthy follow up to its two parent series. This season is overdue by about 4 or 5 months. Went ahead and pre-ordered it, and it should be out next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks