Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Since I never got around to purchasing the PBS releases of Downton Abbey, I will be purchasing Universal's Downton Abbey - Movie and TV Collection: Collector's Edition when it is released on 11/10/20 just in time for my birthday.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
We absolutely loved the show, and watched every episode as it came out. My wife and I also went to the movie. Having said that, the series has absolutely zero re-watch value for me. I really can't think of any reason to see it again.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
In our house, DOWNTON ABBEY seems to play often. My wife loves it, and will watch it over and over - on Blu-ray - on Amazon streaming - on the occasional PBS reruns (which I understand are done). And I often join her. I think the show has tremendous rerun value. There are many nuances that can be caught with each rewatch.

Reactions: Darby67

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
If Universal is now the primary distributor for Downton, then I wonder if Universal will redo all the authoring on the dvd (or bluray) discs WITHOUT any of the extra basketcase drm.
One can examine the amazon listings for this upcoming Universal released complete series of Downton Abbey, and compare it to the listings of the pbs released season sets on B&N. The former lists the special features on each particular disc, while the latter lists the content (ie. menu items, chapter time lengths, etc ...) on each disc in a particular season set.

Doing a quick comparison, some of special features appear to be on different discs in the upcoming Universal set, than where the same special features appeared on the original pbs versions. So this new Universal set is likely to be reauthored completely.

EDIT: The then-new 2016 special features (4 discs) which were included in the giant limited edition complete series set from 2016, also appear to be the same ones in the upcoming Universal set, except dropping the "Great Houses with Julian Fellowes" disc.

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Likely just Downton, because Universal has had international distribution for discs for ages, and distributed the film.
Here's an official press release from PBS which says the Downton Abbey licensing ended on July 1, 2020.

John*Wells

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
I am Definitely interested in that new Perry Mason Set from Warner since I dont have HBO Max

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I'm surprised that Disney is releasing The Mayans S2 on DVD.

I'm also surprised they're continuing shows like Sunny on MOD.

I guess I'm surprised any time Disney releases anything physically.
Perhaps Disney has kept on the old Fox point-person who handled all the Fox tv on dvd releases, and shuffled them into the same / similar role at Disney's home entertainment division.

Reactions: MatthewA

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Nevertheless I'm still skeptical of Disney continuing on with something like the Mayans.

If I were to make a purchase, it would be a complete series set of shows like Mayans, the revived Lost In Space, Family Guy, etc ... (Possibly a partial consecutive multi-season set for Family Guy, Simpsons, etc ...).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Since I never got around to purchasing the PBS releases of Downton Abbey, I will be purchasing Universal's Downton Abbey - Movie and TV Collection: Collector's Edition when it is released on 11/10/20 just in time for my birthday.
(Long rant).

There were several reasons I held off on buying Downton Abbey on dvd or bluray.

1 - I didn't watch it in its first run.

2 - It was allegedly shot in 25 progressive frames-per-second. The bluray releases in uk and america, were incredibly confusing in how the 25 fps were handled.

There were complaints about the season 1 bluray set, which had a 25fps -> 24 fps slowdown where the audio was not pitch corrected. The season 2 bluray allegedly also had a 25fps -> 24fps slowdown while the audio was pitch corrected. (The latter was inferred from the bluray episode time lengths, compared to the respective original broadcast time lengths).

The american PBS bluray versions allegedly had a 2:2:3:2:3 pulldown "hard telecine" baked in at 60 interlaced frames-per-second.

After reading about this confusion, I largely gave up on looking at the bluray versions.

When it came to the dvd versions, the PBS released season sets all had extra basketcase drm on every one. (If you're familiar with extra basketcase drm on dvd discs, it is the same drm variant which Lionsgate has been using on their contemporary then-current A-list movies such as The Hunger Games).

What is unknown to me, is whether the PBS versions of the Downton Abby dvds had the 2:2:3:2:3 pulldown "hard telecine" baked into 60 interlaced frames-per-second mpeg2 data. Over the years I have read complaints about other PBS dvd titles which had the 2:3 or 2:2:3:2:3 pulldown "hard telecine" baked into 60 interlaced frames-per-second.

In the case of Universal, the recent/current dvd titles I have purchased (ie. Chicago Fire, Chicago PD, Chicago Med, etc ....) all have the mpeg2 data as 24 progressive frames-per-second (ie. no hard telecine).

I don't know what Universal will do with Downton Abbey, as to whether it will be 25 progressive frames-per-second mpeg2 data on the dvds.

IIRC when mpeg2 video data is stored as progressive, there are additional data flags which tells the dvd player's mpeg2 decoder how to do the pulldown. So 24fps progressive mpeg2 video data will tell the decoder to do a 2:3 pulldown, while a 25fps progressive mpeg2 video data (in principle) will tell the decoder to do a 2:2:3:2:3 pulldown.

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(Compounding the confusion even further).

Allegedly the series 3 to 6 bluray sets released in the uk, were all done as 50 interlaced frames-per-second. This is the least problematic way of dealing with native 25 progressive frames-per-second content on bluray discs, but it requires a tv screen which understands how to process 1080i50 content. (IIRC tv screens sold in europe will know how to handle 1080i50 and also 1080i60 + 1080p24, while tv screens sold in america have no formal requirements to handle 1080i50 ).

In contrast, the PBS american versions of the seasons 3 to 6 blurays, purportedly have the 2:2:3:2:3 pulldown "hard telecine" baked into the interlaced 60 frames-per-second 1920x1080 hd video data.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Industrious