What's new

TV on DVD news roundup (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
That's why I prefer they do it all in one fell swoop like The Rockford Files or Dick Van Dyke Show. If they go season by season, you risk it stalling/not being completed.

It depends on the show. Considering the relative unpopularity of the later seasons*, I didn't think Diff'rent Strokes would get done since once Shout! got the rights, it got two seasons at a time instead of a complete series set like The Facts of Life. But there it is.

*For basically creating Scrappy-Doo in human form. What made them think an audience accustomed to Kimberly trying to even the score between the sexes at school and at home would find Sam McKinney's little-boy misogyny funny, then expect us to feel sorry for him when he pulls his "woe is me" act? And despite his own father still being alive, he pulled the "you're not my real father" card on Mr. Drummond before Arnold did a year later. At least when Mary Ann Mobley won Miss America, she beat Anita Bryant. That victory must have been sweeter than a glass of Florida orange juice. She did better than Cloris Leachman did in 1946, but Leachman proved to be a superior actress.

Last edited:

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
It depends on the show. Considering the relative unpopularity of the later seasons*, I didn't think Diff'rent Strokes would get done since once Shout! got the rights, it got two seasons at a time instead of a complete series set like The Facts of Life. But there it is.

*For basically creating Scrappy-Doo in human form. What made them think an audience accustomed to Kimberly trying to even the score between the sexes at school and at home would find Sam McKinney's little-boy misogyny funny, then expect us to feel sorry for him when he pulls his "woe is me" act? And despite his own father still being alive, he pulled the "you're not my real father" card on Mr. Drummond before Arnold did a year later. At least when Mary Ann Mobley won Miss America, she beat Anita Bryant. That victory must have been sweeter than a glass of Florida orange juice. She did better than Cloris Leachman did in 1946, but Leachman proved to be a superior actress.
I was referring to TV on blu, although you do run the risk with DVD as well. I was meaning series that were already completed on DVD and they ventured into blu.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Didn't The Dick Van Dyke Show also get a complete set on DVD? That was also only on for five years and went out on top. The Blu-ray just followed that template. It's a far cry from the early years of DVD where they released The Twilight Zone in piecemeal fashion the way they did with shows on laserdisc and VHS.

Meanwhile, Paramount is doing I Love Lucy and The Andy Griffith Show one by one.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Until Sony announced a Fraggle Rock Blu-ray set, I assumed DVD was the end of the line for anything shot on analog standard-definition tape (or even digital SD tape like a lot of shows from the 1990s and 2000s). If that sells enough copies, I wonder how many other shows will get that treatment.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm not on Facebook either. Just follow the link above and you can view the notices without creating an account.
True, if you don't mind collecting a few tracking cookies and a big window asking you to sign in or create an account each time you visit. No thanks. I would rather hope that they would like to participate on this wonderful forum as well.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Honestly, it just means I'm buying less.

The prices are too high for a lower quality product.

Definitely.

As another way of reducing/squelching my extreme OCD compulsive collecting of dvds/blurays, I've been abstaining from buying any dvd (or bluray) MOD titles largely as a preventative measure. (ie. Don't jump onto a new ocd "treadmill" to begin with).

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
I don't usually do the posting of the tvshowsondvd.com Friday roundup.....but since nobody has posted it yet......here it is for this week ending August 17, 2018:

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/po...vshowsondvd/posts/10156387875066063&width=500" width="500" height="397" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allow="encrypted-media"></iframe>

WendyCR

Stunt Coordinator
https://www.facebook.com/tvshowsondvd/posts/10156370734841063

Perhaps it shouldn't be too surprising anymore that new Universal and Warner tv show season sets are going dvd-mod from the start (such as Law & Order SVU).

Well, to be fair, that started in S18 for SVU. DVD sales had probably started dropping the older the show became. So, in this day and age, it's likely MOD or streaming for the diminishing returns/sales. Licensing out seems to be a thing of the past. At least Universal didn't go back to the flipper discs, I guess.

classictvfan40

Second Unit
Real Name
Ron
Season 2 of Step by Step is being released soon....

39522101_10156395012046063_5394510255562424320_n.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks