What's new

TV on DVD news roundup (1 Viewer)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The definitive end of "tv on buray" as anything viable, would be when Mill Creek becomes the "king of tv on bluray".

:dance:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'm happy MC got 12 Monkeys. The MOD of S3 & S4 cost almost as much as the MC complete set and that MC set will likely drop in price by release date. It's also listed as 8 discs. That, too, should be OK as S1 & S2 are 3 discs each with S3 & S4 on 2 discs each. I'd not expect much, if any, difference in quality. The biggest issue, at least for me, is MC rarely puts CC/SDH on their BR releases. I use those when watching late at night so as to keep the volume low and not disturb anyone else in the house.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The main thing I find really annoying with giant "tv on bluray" sets, is how it takes forever to check through all the discs on the computer. Basically it takes around 30 minutes to check through an entire 50 gigabytes sized bluray disc.

Nowadays I don't trust any bluray discs which are not manufactured by Technicolor at either their mexico or alabama plant. (Sony's disc manufacturing plant in Indiana, closed down their cd/dvd/bluray lines a few years ago). This was the primary reason why I never jumped onto the 4Kbluray treadmill, when I first heard that Sonopress was big manufacturer of 4Kbluray discs.

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
TVShowsonDVD missed the following upcoming release:

Shout! will be re-releasing Northern Exposure- The Complete Series on DVD on July 21.

Unfortunately, it looks like this will be a carbon copy of Universal's release with music edits. I think most fans would like to see the series re-released with the original music intact so if they are unable to release it with the music intact then why bother?! They should have licensed it out to Mill Creek who could have done a blu-ray release in addition to the DVD re-release and perhaps may have been able to get the rights to the music (or at least as much as possible), like they did with Quantum Leap.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The first Universal release of some seasons of Northern Exposure were on the dreaded DVD-18 flippies so there's at least that issue gone. I don't know if that one got a SS disc re-release like other Universal series that'd been on flippies.

I'm a bit surprised at how low the Shout price is. That's quite unusual for them to release a classic TV series with that many 1 hour episodes at that low of a MSRP. I'm pretty sure that means no music restoration and likely no restoration of any kind.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
The first Universal release of some seasons of Northern Exposure were on the dreaded DVD-18 flippies so there's at least that issue gone. I don't know if that one got a SS disc re-release like other Universal series that'd been on flippies.

It certainly did-- in fact, here's the front and back of the third-season (1991-92) redo on singles:

northex3-1.jpg
northex3-2.jpg

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
criminal minds final season dvd

Top result, after the sponsored ad.

(On a tangent).

I found out I still have all 10 episodes of the Criminal Minds final season on the dvr, where I did a marathon binge watch of it today.

After this binge earlier today, I'm having second thoughts about buying this CM final season dvd set as a preorder or first day/week purchase. This season wasn't that good.

So I cancelled this Criminal Minds dvd preorder and another one. I ended up ordering a book which only had one copy left in stock, which was around the same price as these two dvd + bluray preorders I just cancelled. Currently I have more time at home to read through some books.

I'll probably eventually get this Criminal Minds final season dvd set, when it shows up in the local dump bins.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(On a tangent).

So I cancelled this Criminal Minds dvd preorder and another one. I ended up ordering a book which only had one copy left in stock, which was around the same price as these two dvd + bluray preorders I just cancelled. Currently I have more time at home to read through some books.

My other preorder was for the upcoming ShoutFactory collector's edition bluray of Escape From LA. Last night I pulled out my old Paramount bluray and watched it again, just to realize it wasn't as good as I remembered.

Back in the day, I really liked Escape From LA that I saw it two times when it was in the theaters. Not so much anymore today.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Was this another show which was shot on film, and edited on digital videotape in sd ntsc resolution?

No, it just means that they're likely using the pre-2004 masters that were used for the DVDs and have all the music edits instead of the remastered for HD versions with restored music that were used for the region B Blu-ray releases.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Was this another show which was shot on film, and edited on digital videotape in sd ntsc resolution?

No, it just means that they're likely using the pre-2004 masters that were used for the DVDs and have all the music edits instead of the remastered for HD versions with restored music that were used for the region B Blu-ray releases.
That's what I believe as well. I'm basing that on Shout's MSRP. Series like The Bob Newhart Show and Green Acres, which didn't have music rights to worry about, had higher MSRPs on release. And they're half hour shows of 142 and 170 episodes with Northern Exposure having 110 hour length episodes. While the two comedies have higher episode counts, it also means more discs for Northern Exposure due to the hour format. Couple that with the warning on their site of "Music may differ from original broadcast version." and you have what sounds like transfers from those pre-2004 masters.

I hope I'm wrong. I *will* wait for reviews before making a purchase (I do want to get rid of my flippies - but...).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
More generally, wonder why exactly Universal has been outsourcing complete series sets which they previously released already.

ie. Besides laziness, lack of manpower, etc ...

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
More generally, wonder why exactly Universal has been outsourcing complete series sets which they previously released already.

ie. Besides laziness, lack of manpower, etc ...
Guaranteed cash in hand while a self release doesn't guarantee any returns. i.e. No risk on their part.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I wonder if there will ever be a Physical Media Release of Space Race: The untold Story. Its a 2 Part Mini Series that was aired on National Geographic in the Early 2000s that chronicled the Space Race. it told the Story from the Perspective of Sergei Korolev and Wernher Von Braun. I Was lucky enough to Record it using an old DVD Recorder. (I still have that disc) but the Sound and Editing Job i did was horrid back then.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Any idea what NatGeo's track record is for releasing really old stuff?

I would have been in heaven if NatGeo and PBS released their older documentaries on dvd back during the 2000s decade. (Stuff like Nova, etc ...).

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Any idea what NatGeo's track record is for releasing really old stuff?

I would have been in heaven if NatGeo and PBS released their older documentaries on dvd back during the 2000s decade. (Stuff like Nova, etc ...).

they are Part of or Partnered with Disney. Is that Good or bad ?

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Heh. Kino is re-releasing Wild Palms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Palms

I remember seeing it back in the day, and being completely disappointed when it didn't have that "cyberpunk" look and the storyline was difficult to follow. (It even had a cameo appearance of then-famous cyberpunk author William Gibson).

I watched it again in more recent times, paying more attention to the storyline. That's when I realized it was a subversive parody of quasi-religious style organaizations which have too much power/control in society. Very "cyberpunk-ish" in concept, without any Blade Runner style imagery.

Other than some new commentaries, it is not obvious what else is new in this Kino special edition. In the bluray version, did MGM do a new hd (or higher) resolution transfer? Or is it just a dumb 480i sd ntsc -> 1080p hd upscaling with a dumb static 4:3 -> 16:9 cropping ?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks