What's new

TV on DVD news roundup (1 Viewer)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
If I was 10 years older or younger, I may very well have completely different tastes in tv shows, movies, music, sports teams, etc ... which I would gravitate to.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
If I was 10 years older or younger, I may very well have completely different tastes in tv shows, movies, music, sports teams, etc ... which I would gravitate to.

I've thought about that a lot, although I'd always spanned the decades in my own tastes. Being born in the 1980s and being able to have cable TV and a VCR at hand made it easy to move beyond the big three networks, and local stations still had rotating reruns of off-network library shows, but for my peers, I was atypical. I was probably the only boy in my kindergarten class who cared that Eva Gabor made a Green Acres reunion and a Rescuers sequel the same year. Neither of the originals were in my lifetime.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Case in point, when I was younger I use to watch stuff like old scifi movies on weekend afternoons or after midnight. I don't remember the names, but it did color how I thought of the world.

If I was 10-15 years younger, I probably would have come across something like XFiles which has a very different worldview than old 50s or 60s scifi movies.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've thought about that a lot, although I'd always spanned the decades in my own tastes. Being born in the 1980s and being able to have cable TV and a VCR at hand made it easy to move beyond the big three networks, and local stations still had rotating reruns of off-network library shows, but for my peers, I was atypical. I was probably the only boy in my kindergarten class who cared that Eva Gabor made a Green Acres reunion and a Rescuers sequel the same year. Neither of the originals were in my lifetime.

I seem to be about the same age as you. Nick at Nite and local syndication is exactly what influenced my watching habits.

I don't automatically write off all new shows, but I do find "Prestige TV" to be, well, grimdark soap operas. If I'm going to discover a "new" show these days, I'm more likely to pick up Gunsmoke than Game of Thrones. So, I guess I'm much more willing to go back to that era that I loved as a kid for new content than to go forward for dumbed down shows that replaced content with tits and cursing to make it "adult".

Not that I mind those two things, mind you. I enjoy The Sopranos, too. But not for every show. And modern TV seems to love to one-up the last big show by doubling down.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I don't automatically write off all new shows, but I do find "Prestige TV" to be, well, grimdark soap operas.

What's "prestige tv" specifically?

If I didn't know any better, I would guess it would describe shows like "The Good Wife" or "Madam Secretary". Basically shows which attracted a higher income richer demographic when it comes to advertising.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What's "prestige tv" specifically?

If I didn't know any better, I would guess it would describe shows like "The Good Wife" or "Madam Secretary". Basically shows which attracted a higher income richer demographic when it comes to advertising.

I've always heard it surrounding cable and streaming shows like Game of Thrones or Westworld or The Handmaid's Tale. The kind of joyless shows that you have to pay someone to watch. But never a free network show like the ones you mentioned.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
If I was 10-15 years younger and had come across shows like X-Files and other similar shows, I might have became a full fledge conspiracy theorist type from watching such shows in an uncritical manner.

When I was younger, I didn't think critically about silly stuff like time machines, space travel, force fields, etc .... I thought we would have functioning time machines by the year 2020.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I've always heard it surrounding cable and streaming shows like Game of Thrones or Westworld or The Handmaid's Tale. The kind of joyless shows that you have to pay someone to watch. But never a free network show like the ones you mentioned.

When I was growing up, network television was always consider low brow. In those days, "cable" shows were an even bigger joke than network shows.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Hm.

Who owns that one? Is it a CBS film? And has Kino said anything more about other TV movies? I know they got the last two Gunsmoke films a couple years back.
It's an ABC Circle product similar to previous Kino Blu-ray releases like "The Jericho Mile" and "The Girl Most Likely To...".

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

It used to refer to any show that was well-reviewed and offered something TV hadn't seen before. But now there are just so many channels it's literally impossible to watch them all and still have a life. There are still good shows being made, but you have to wade through even more filler than before to find them.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
30 Rock on Blu.

When exactly did Mill Creek go from the cheap joke company to the only hope for HD presentations of TV shows you can own?
So, too, did VEI (Visual Entertainment, Inc.). But then CBS DVD itself began to wise up on logo replacement, at least on those titles they release through its MOD program.

~Ben

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I don't care who releases them at this point just as long as they get released.

I imagine The Office (US) will be next.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks