What's new

TV on DVD news roundup (1 Viewer)

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Did I miss something on The Beverly Hillbillies? Yes, I'm happy for Gunsmoke and will eventually pick it up since it looks like it will be completed as it's one of my favorite Westerns. Come on, CBS, the stalling game on the Clampetts is beyond ridiculous. There is no music to clear except for one Pat Boone song and Mike Minor singing ONE song in S7. Those are both available unedited already on the Columbia House VHS sets. One of the top rated sitcoms of all time. If you're not going to finish it, farm it out to Shout! Factory or another company. I really don't care if it's remastered for hi-def as long as the episodes are unedited. Completely and utterly ridiculous how this classic show is being treated.
I do hope Shout! Factory will pick up on these other series...
Petticoat Junction (1963-1970; in particular seasons 4-7)
Call to Glory (1984-1985)
Brooklyn Bridge (1991-1993)
The Banana Splits Adventure Hour (1968-1969)
The Flintstone Comedy Hour (1972-1973)

~Ben

Last edited:

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Looks like it had 4 in total in 2019

In all fairness, they've done plenty of 4 set years, it's just that they were split seasons. But since the show went below the magic 24 episode limit with season 16, we're plowing through the series quicker since that's two seasons released at once instead of one split across two.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I can honestly say at this point that I'm not interested in any of these full series sets until I see St. Elsewhere, and since I probably never will see a legit release of that series, I'm done with series sets.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I can honestly say at this point that I'm not interested in any of these full series sets until I see St. Elsewhere, and since I probably never will see a legit release of that series, I'm done with series sets.

Once it does happen, and they can't keep it unfinished forever, hopefully the running times won't be all over the place the way they are on Hulu. The Lou Grant S5 archival debacle happened under Fox's watch, and that has me scared sh!tless for what else might have slipped through the cracks because of them. I hope what's on streaming now doesn't represent the best they can do.

Last edited:

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Once it does happen, and they can't keep it unfinished forever, hopefully the running times won't be all over the place the way they are on Hulu. The Lou Grant S5 archival debacle happened under Fox's watch, and that has me scared sh!tless for what else might have slipped through the cracks because of them. I hope what's on streaming now doesn't represent the best they can do.

One thing you can say about Disney is they take care of their catalog assets. They may not release them, but they do take care of them. Ditto Warner, except they DO release film and TV from the catalog.

dawnshadow

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dawn
Warner Archive's DVD Only Releases for January 2020:

You: The Complete First Season - 1/14/2020
True Justice: Bryan Stevenson's Fight For Equality - 1/21/2020
Hangin' With Mr. Cooper: The Complete Third Season - 1/21/2020
Duck Dodgers: The Complete Third Season - 1/28/2020

No interest in Duck Dodgers since it can be streamed in HD on Boomerang, but hopefully this could lead to Taz-Mania and The Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member

No interest in Duck Dodgers since it can be streamed in HD on Boomerang, but hopefully this could lead to Taz-Mania and The Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries.

Where did you get your information?
--james

seanrt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean

Not if it doesn't sell.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr

Five+ years ago, I would have picked up the complete series sets of stuff like Mr Robot and Madam Secretary.

As much as I liked watching both shows in their original first runs, today I wouldn't bother buying the complete series sets. Mostly due to complete burnout and low rewatch value of such shows.

This is the primary reason why I passed on complete series sets released over the past several years, such as: Scorpion, Elementary, etc ....

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I hate to say it, but the shows I feel like rewatching the most today, even with so many different choices we didn't have 20 years ago, are the same shows I grew up with. Animated shows tend to be the exceptions; I've had a better track record picking hits there than with live-action. And with a handful of exceptions the "new" shows I feel like checking out aren't new, just new to me; i.e. shows that I was too young to stay up to watch when they were new, such as LA Law, or shows such as The Rockford Files I wasn't even born for the original run of.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I hate to say it, but the shows I feel like rewatching the most today, even with so many different choices we didn't have 20 years ago, are the same shows I grew up with.

I have found this to be indeed the case for me when it comes to tv/movies. The only stuff which has any rewatch value for me, is stuff I grew up watching such as Star Trek reruns, Superfriends, and maybe a few Cheech and Chong movies. Otherwise, hardly anything else has much rewatch value for me.

Basically something which immediately jogs my memory of my youth, which still might have some emotional "gravitas" for me.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Even if such "emotional gravitas" is just entirely coincidental or happenstance, reflecting the time period I grew up in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks