What's new

TV on DVD news roundup (1 Viewer)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
This is why I refuse to buy any "refurbish" or second hand computers. Frequently the first thing to die is the hard drive.

(Unless it is an older computer given to me for free from a local friend/relative).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I rather just pay slightly more for a new sealed boxed computer from the bottom-of-the-line catalog for $200 (or less), from a company like Dell, Acer, HP, etc ... (Not Lenovo).

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
The end for me was when Taiyo Yuden sold their disc manufacturing operation to CMC several years ago. Basically the best burnable cd/dvd discs (Taiyo Yuden) sold their operations to the worst manufacturer (CMC) of burnable cd/dvd discs.

That was a low point, yes, but quality Mitsubishi Verbatim (which is still made) is very nearly as good.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
They want this market dead. It is not dying because of a lack of demand; more likely the lack of demand is fueled by the lack of quality products. The "death of physical media" is a self-fulfilling prophesy. Cutting corners on the supply end leads to unhappy consumers on the demand end, and they are less likely to want to buy products if they believe they will break after a few years of use. This is how eventually, they want us to have no choice but to have all media streaming from some kind of cloud.

It's not like this is new. I've also noticed that VHS tapes from the 1980s feel a bit less flimsy than anything made after that. Laserdisc stability was always dependent on the pressing plant. Enough time has passed for DVDs to start failing. Eastmancolor film prior to 1982 is prone to dye coupler fading. Nitrate film explodes. Paper catches fire. Even the rocks cavemen and women painted on will crumble and fall to the sea eventually. No format is perfect. It's just that some hold up better than others.

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
They want this market dead. It is not dying because of a lack of demand; more likely the lack of demand is fueled by the lack of quality products. The "death of physical media" is a self-fulfilling prophesy. Cutting corners on the supply end leads to unhappy consumers on the demand end, and they are less likely to want to buy products if they believe they will break after a few years of use. This is how eventually, they want us to have no choice but to have all media streaming from some kind of cloud.

Basically a negative feedback systems in free fall.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie

It's not like this is new. I've also noticed that VHS tapes from the 1980s feel a bit less flimsy than anything made after that. Laserdisc stability was always dependent on the pressing plant. Enough time has passed for DVDs to start failing. Eastmancolor film prior to 1982 is prone to dye coupler fading. Nitrate film explodes. Paper catches fire. Even the rocks cavemen and women painted on will crumble and fall to the sea eventually. No format is perfect. It's just that some hold up better than others.
Tape suffers from stiction and oxide flaking - not to mention wonky transports that'll rip a tape in two before you can blink. Having worked with tape, audio and video, for decades I'd say it's just as prone to failure as any other media.

"Hollywood" has never liked the ability for the average consumer to own a copy of their product. All down the line they've done just about everything possible to prevent ownership. Streaming is a dream come true for them.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
"Hollywood" has never liked the ability for the average consumer to own a copy of their product. All down the line they've done just about everything possible to prevent ownership. Streaming is a dream come true for them.

Yet for all the hate they get, the music industry has always been okay with people owning copies of songs, whether in published or recorded form, as long as people paid for them.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Yet for all the hate they get, the music industry has always been okay with people owning copies of songs, whether in published or recorded form, as long as people paid for them.
Well... not exactly. In the 80s an attempt was made to institute a "tape tax" where blank tape and recorders would have had fees added, as a tax, to pre-pay for alleged copyright infringement. It was assumed if you purchased a tape recorder and blank tape it was to make a copy of a record/tape for your buddies or to sell. When CDs came along they made sure early stand alone recorders would only work with specially designed blanks - which had a copy tax added. It wasn't long until computer drives were available and you could use those, totally bypassing the blank audio CD "tax" which assumed you were a pirate. Neither scheme took into account, or cared about, those who used such equipment to record their own creations. Everyone was assumed to be a pirate so everyone would have to pay.

Even with so called "fair use" they've fought tooth and nail. The rules are extremely restrictive, although few people actually abide by them. You can only make *one* copy of a recording you own - that means you can't make you and your significant other a copy of one recording. To be legal you need an original for every copy you make. You're not allowed to play the copy somewhere else if the original is available to play at home simultaneously. If you dispose of the original - no matter how - you must destroy any copies.

Several recording companies, most notably Sony and BMG, have attempted copy protection on CDs going so far as to install software that is nothing but a rootkit which would install without notice on your computer if you had "auto play" enabled for CDs. Those rootkits were specifically designed to prevent the creation of a copy of the CD - even if you owned that original. That software cause lots of damage to systems, sometimes even making the drives unresponsive until a complete OS reinstall was done (a full wipe of the HD and reinstall).

The music industry is just as guilty of not playing nice as the movie people. Add to it the "deals" many recording artists receive and they deserve every rotten egg thrown their way.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
The difference is that the movie industry had to be dragged kicking and screaming into accepting the idea of selling movies to consumers like books and records once the technology made it viable.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
This thread has been sidetracked. If you want to discuss subject matters beyond actual DVD release of TV series then start another thread to do so. Please, lets get back on topic. Thank you.

Speaking of which-- recently noticed a newer version of the Barney Miller all-in-one at the Wal-Mart in Simpsonville; this one has just the four cases for the eight seasons, and no booklet; has anyone else seen this?

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Speaking of which-- recently noticed a newer version of the Barney Miller all-in-one at the Wal-Mart in Simpsonville; this one has just the four cases for the eight seasons, and no booklet; has anyone else seen this?

I was at a wal mart here in Ruskin Florida on Saturday and saw that Barney Miller set. Didn’t see a price though.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Guys, I have a WB Archives question. Right now, the November releases are up for the WB Archives webpage and facebook page. But does anybody think there will be some December releases coming out for the WBA in a month? It used to be WBA took December off, but I don't know if that's true no

James

Any thoughts?

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Any thoughts?
Last year was the 1st year they did have new releases. Blu Ray only from what I remember. In the past it was only some re-releases for December. Since they announced some titles last December there is a good chance they will this December. But my guess would be Blu Ray titles.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I was at a wal mart here in Ruskin Florida on Saturday and saw that Barney Miller set. Didn’t see a price though.

What I'd like to know is why that one had no booklet in it, nor a listing of the bonuses on the back of it, as the original version did.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks