1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

TV on DVD news roundup

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by The Obsolete Man, Jun 10, 2018.

1. smithbrad

smithbrad Screenwriter

Brad
    24 episodes appears to be the magic number for CBS to create a single volume of a season for an hour-long show (6 discs x 4 episodes = 24). We should be able to count on that for the remainder of the Gunsmoke releases. Bonanza, on the other hand, never gets down to the 24 episodes per season mark (except for the shortened 14th season), so we can probably count on 2-volume sets going forward. Personally, while I hope they finish Bonanza, I will be skipping season 14, just not the same for me without Hoss.

2. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    So why is gun smoke being released in seasons now and Bonanza still split?

MatthewA, Flashgear and Bryan^H like this.
  3. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa

More inanities from cbs

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  4. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    This might be the case more recently.

Though this was not always the case many years ago. For example, the original Dynasty was released as half-season dvd sets for seasons 3, 8 and 9 which had 22 or 24 episode seasons.

Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  5. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

Im not sure, but I a extremely happy right now!
    :)

Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  6. smithbrad

smithbrad Screenwriter

Brad
    Considering it lowers the overall list price of Gunsmoke, I'll take that as a positive that I wasn't expecting.

7. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Yes, very exciting news to see both Gunsmoke and Bonanza continuing!

8. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Wow really great news on 2 more seasons of Gunsmoke didn't see that coming but yes they are single releases now because of only 24 episodes while Bonanza still has 30 episodes. Very Happy for 2 more Gunsmokes and another Bonanza. It looks like they are committed to finishing both. Gunsmoke next year and Bonanza probably the year after.

Flashgear, Bryan^H and bmasters9 like this.
  9. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    (This is purely speculation).

I'm starting to suspect the person giving the green light to these classic tv dvd releases such as Gunsmoke and Bonanza, might very well be a senior CBS (or Paramount) executive who is almost retired.

I doubt a younger or middle aged executive on the CBS (or Paramount) corporate ladder, would be spending this much intracompany "political capital" on releasing really old shows like this on dvd. Somebody who is almost retired wouldn't care anymore about rising through the ranks.

If a senior executive is "ousted" for incompetence, most likely they would be given an "early retirement" severance package (or "golden parachute").

10. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    Nowadays I wouldn't be surprised if the home video division at the large movie companies, is where the "demoted" executives end up being moved to after losing on the intracompany "political" battles. (Assuming such demoted executives didn't resign first).

Basically a place where competent executives are "put out to pasture".

11. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

You may be right, it is odd that all of a sudden they CBS just starts dumping these out rapid fire style. Scary scenario you suggest, but I guess we will just take what we get, while we can get it!

12. smithbrad

smithbrad Screenwriter

Brad
    I recall in the past there was a small internal group within CBS responsible for all the DVD remastering efforts. A source of delay was the bouncing around of the various series that led to one, or at most, two season releases a year, and sometimes stalls across years. Possibly, this group at CBS is no longer as backlogged with very few TV DVD releases coming out, and some now going the MOD route (with no remastering) that CBS is able to focus on completing (in accelerated fashion) a few series (e.g., Gunsmoke, Bonanza) still designated to get the royal treatment.

13. GMBurns

GMBurns Second Unit

Glenn
    It would be very interesting to be let in on the machinations behind the scenes at CBS, not just with their two iconic westerns, but their philosophy (if there even was one) about their tv on dvd releases in general. With Gunsmoke I've speculated, wondered, and often waited. And waited some more. And even as the releases from Dodge trickled out I wasn't confident that all 20 seasons would come out, because just when you thought they were on a good roll - nothing for two years. But four seasons released in 2019 now makes me think the end is in sight in 2020. And wait a minute - no more milking the consumer with half-season sets. And two Bonanza releases in one year, after a four-year drought. What a lovely Christmas present this will be. Of course, this is the point where the recent history might suggest season 18 of Gunsmoke will be released on May 11, 2021. But this time it feels like the real deal....

14. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

This makes more sense and the fact that Bonanza and Gunsmoke like I love Lucy are two shows that are constantly in demand for reruns on local and cable channels so there is a reason to continue remastering all of these episodes to complete both series so they are suitable for HD conversion and also for streaming.

MatthewA, ChrisALM, Bryan^H and 2 others like this.
  15. JamesSmith

JamesSmith Screenwriter

Very heart-lifting news. We need more of that these days.

--James

Flashgear, MatthewA, ChrisALM and 2 others like this.
  16. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Now that Les Moonves is gone and Viacom and CBS are back together again, I think things will improve. I don't think every stalled show will stay stalled forever. Eventually they'll be getting caught up with the other shows they started that they need to finish. This is not like the Disney-Fox merger. Viacom only exists because of CBS. They exist because they legally had to divest themselves of their syndication holdings. Now that those laws are gone, they can take them back. It's the corporate equivalent of an on-again off-again marriage.

17. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    So do you think that shows like Petticoat Junction will clear through because Viacom/CBS are back together?

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  18. LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    Very happy to hear this news about Gunsmok and Bonanza, but can't help but be jealous that it's not My Three Sons and Petticoat Junction getting the royal treatment. :)

Got to be annoying though for the big fans of Bonanza when CBS has hopefully reached the finish line, that season 2 used the old video transfers while the other 13 seasons are in pristine form on DVD.

Too bad CBS wouldn't go back and rectify that mistake.

Jeff Flugel, Flashgear and bmasters9 like this.
  19. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    The second go used old video transfers?! What a shame! Wonder why that is.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  20. smithbrad

smithbrad Screenwriter

Brad
    Bonanza season 2, Rawhide season 4, and Hawaii Five O season 10 were all done around the same time (i.e., late 2010 through 2011) and none received the full remastering treatment. It is possible CBS was experimenting with releasing more quickly by using existing video masters during that time, but then decided against continuing for future seasons. Gunsmoke some how missed that scenario. I believe new masters of season 10 of Hawaii Five O were used within the full series set. I'm betting Rawhide season 4 and Bonanza season 2 have been remastered by now for syndication use. Unfortunately, they typically don't go back an re-release to DVD when newer prints are available. My guess, too many complaints about having to re-buy or whether those that purchased before should get the new sets for free or just having two different sets out in the market at the same time (or having to recall the first set). I would gladly re-buy Bonanza season 2 and Rawhide season 4 if made available with remastered prints.