What's new

TV on DVD news roundup (1 Viewer)

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I take no joy in asking this. Is it safe to assume that Mayberry RFD season 2 and 3, and or any further Andy Griffith Blu Ray or potential Gomer Pyle USMC Blu Rays are Dead on arrival due to music license and the lawsuit by Earl Hagen’s Estate?
https://www.nbcwashington.com/enter...-Andy-Griffith-Show-Theme-Song-510429801.html

This news story in the above link about the Andy Griffith theme tune, "The Fishin' Hole," may be one indicator as to why we're not yet getting The Andy Griffith Show on Blu-Ray.

~Ben

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters

I didn't know the Texaco Star Theater title track/theme song was used on Family Ties, let alone that it was in the DVD releases of that 1982-89 NBC comedy-- now the copyright holders are saying it shouldn't have been used there? Outrageous-- they should have said something about it when the releases were first issued, and now they say something?

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
They still managed to cut most of the other music other than "At This Moment" by Billy Vera and the Beaters, which was a big deal when the show used it. A few months ago, I watched the pilot on Amazon Prime and it's the same cut-but-not-as-much-as-a-syndicated-version edit as the DVD, which removes a Phil Ochs song. This is different. This is another show's theme song we're talking about, and an iconic one at that, especially where I grew up*. This is why all those public domain releases over the years skipped over the theme music.

Maybe this will change now that CBS and Viacom are reunited despite doing so under the awkward corporate name of ViacomCBS. And maybe they'll put the original logos back, too. But this will now give them two TV production companies: CBS Studios (the one that can be traced back via Paramount to Desilu) and Paramount Television (the new one whose logo was on Grease Live!). Those will probably get merged into one company, but what they'd call it I couldn't tell you.

*IIRC they used it once on a late-era Silver Spoons episode as well. This is no coincidence; after having been on Search for Tomorrow around the same time Andrea McArdle, Broadway's original Annie, left it and found a different kind of "Tomorrow", Joel Higgins' first prime time TV role was on Columbia's Salvage One on ABC which also starred Andy Griffith. Married with Children used it in a much darker context around the time Jefferson became Marcy's husband.

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Heh.

Sounds like Sony was wrangling over a decision whether The Goldbergs season 6 dvds (already manufactured) should be sent to the dvd-mod channel folks, or whether they should sent it to the general wide market distributors.

If I had to guess, Sony's home entertainment division executives probably made a huge bargain with their general market distributors to carry it, which came down to the wire a week before release.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
I see Warner is repackaging the Tom and Jerry Spotlight Collections for reissue, and on DVD naturally. What was originally six discs is now four with the two controversial shorts still not appearing. And they're claiming things are "restored and remastered" for funsies.

I guess soaking up any remaining customers is more or less an official forfeit on future Golden Collections. What a waste.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
It's amazing we've gotten up to season 4 of My Three Sons (and we're only on Season 5 of the Beverly Hillbillies.

That would make the former 1/3rd complete. But half-season sets still? And at the price a whole season would be worth from a third party distributor?

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Last edited:

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Wow...Two seasons of Gunsmoke coming out in December, and neither of them split into 2 volumes? This is a definite Merry Christmas to those of us who are Gunsmoke fans.

That makes 4 seasons released in 2019, with Season 14 back in February, Season 15 coming up in October, and now 16 and 17 in December. CBS/Paramount this year has certainly made up for the previous slow release patterns for this series.

Not to get too far ahead of ourselves or to get hopes up too high, but if they can continue at this same pace, we could conceivably get the rest of the series before the end of next year. Who would have expected that?

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Wow...Two seasons of Gunsmoke coming out in December, and neither of them split into 2 volumes? This is a definite Merry Christmas to those of us who are Gunsmoke fans.

It certainly is-- I think we'll get the remainder of it (18, 19 and 20) in the early part of 2020, and if it so be, then that'll be a great feeling for Gunsmoke's fans to finally complete their collection of that classic 1955-75 CBS Western (and I'm sure that an all-in-one [huge that it'll be expected to be] will follow at some point as well)!

justarandomstan

Second Unit
Real Name
Stan

That makes 4 seasons released in 2019, with Season 14 back in February, Season 15 coming up in October, and now 16 and 17 in December. CBS/Paramount this year has certainly made up for the previous slow release patterns for this series.

Not to get too far ahead of ourselves or to get hopes up too high, but if they can continue at this same pace, we could conceivably get the rest of the series before the end of next year. Who would have expected that?

With the way things are going, Gunsmoke should be completed by next fall, which is A HUGE RELIEF in my book as I always worried that this wonderful series would never be completely released on DVD. The sales of the recent seasons must have been good. I'm super happy about that as well.

Hopefully Bonanza will follow suit and be competed by the end of next year/early 2021 as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks