What's new

TV on DVD news roundup (1 Viewer)

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
^^^
CBS is putting out Spencer's Pilot's? An 11 episode cancelled series from the fall of 1976 with a cast I've never heard of?

Egads! Anything's possible. I might just have to get it just because!
___

P.S.: I looked it up on wiki and I've heard of the guest stars listed for many episodes.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
The complete Brady Bunch including the movies, and two spin off shows(my favorite -The Brady Brides), and 'Here's Boomer'...I can't believe it.

Two "grail shows" in one announcement!!!

Who says classic tv shows on DVD is dead?

:rock::dancing-banana-04::):):)

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The complete Brady Bunch including the movies, and two spin off shows(my favorite -The Brady Brides), and 'Here's Boomer'...I can't believe it.

As long as Warner Archive releases Mayberry RFD season 2 and 3 I’ll be ok. Same goes for perfect strangers season 7-8

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin

Here's Boomer (1980-82)... wow, and they're selling both seasons separately at the same time! Gotta get these two soon! I just hope the 1979 Blue Mountain is intact on season 1, and the '81 version on season 2!

~Ben

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Here's Boomer (1980-82)... wow, and they're selling both seasons separately at the same time! Gotta get these two soon! I just hope the 1979 Blue Mountain is intact on season 1, and the '81 version on season 2!

~Ben

I barely remember the show, but I know I loved it when I was a kid. Nostalgia is powerful. I'm excited to be transported back in time when watching this.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Not surprised to see The Brady Bunch getting a DVD re-release as this year is the 50th anniversary when the series began. I might be in for this new set if it corrects the issues from the previous single season sets, for example, the missing tag scene from "The Honeymoon" episode, and minor edits/omissions from a few season 4 episodes.

This new set seems to come with just about everything Brady related, although I don't see a mention of The Brady Bunch Variety Hour, but maybe that series is better left unseen.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Not surprised to see The Brady Bunch getting a DVD re-release as this year is the 50th anniversary when the series began. I might be in for this new set if it corrects the issues from the previous single season sets, for example, the missing tag scene from "The Honeymoon" episode, and minor edits/omissions from a few season 4 episodes.

This new set seems to come with just about everything Brady related, although I don't see a mention of The Brady Bunch Variety Hour, but maybe that series is better left unseen.

The variety hour would likely be too expensive for anyone to release because of music rights, and this is CBS we're talking about, the company that cuts anything above and beyond tuneless humming if they think they'll have to pay two red cents for it.

And now that I've pissed on CBS for their traditional cheapness over music, I should congratulate them for finding a way to get the spinoffs and sequels released in what will likely be an affordable manner, even if it does mean double dipping for the hardcore fans.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I barely remember the show, but I know I loved it when I was a kid. Nostalgia is powerful. I'm excited to be transported back in time when watching this.
And did you know that the working title of this series was Here's Johnny? Johnny was the name of the dog used to portray Boomer, but the title of the series was changed because it was associated with a catchphrase by Ed McMahon to introduce Johnny Carson during his time on The Tonight Show.

~Ben

Last edited:

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Do you think the Brady Brides, includes the tv movie "The Brady Girls Get Married."

It seems the tv DVD news is slightly up.

James

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
The variety hour would likely be too expensive for anyone to release because of music rights, and this is CBS we're talking about, the company that cuts anything above and beyond tuneless humming if they think they'll have to pay two red cents for it.

And now that I've pissed on CBS for their traditional cheapness over music, I should congratulate them for finding a way to get the spinoffs and sequels released in what will likely be an affordable manner, even if it does mean double dipping for the hardcore fans.

You're probably right about the music, that's likely why the variety hour isn't part of this new release.

I'm not really interested in the movies and offshoot series, I've tried watching those and they all lack the charm of the original series. So the original series is where it's at for me, I would have liked to see it continue for a few years more because I think it was cancelled prematurely and still had a few seasons of life in it.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
You're probably right about the music, that's likely why the variety hour isn't part of this new release.

I'm not really interested in the movies and offshoot series, I've tried watching those and they all lack the charm of the original series. So the original series is where it's at for me, I would have liked to see it continue for a few years more because I think it was cancelled prematurely and still had a few seasons of life in it.

You do know, that Robert Reed might not have been in original show much longer, don't you? He was having problems with Sherwood Schwartz at the time.

James

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
You do know, that Robert Reed might not have been in original show much longer, don't you? He was having problems with Sherwood Schwartz at the time.

James

Yes I'm aware of that and I think the series could have continued on without him, Mike and Carol were not the focus of the series, the episodes were always about the six kids anyway. A different actor could easily have been hired to replace Reed and be the new Mike Brady. I think The Brady Bunch had at least two more seasons of life in it, perhaps three.

He might have been busy doing MASH at the time, but I think Mike Farrell would have been a good choice to replace Robert Reed on The Brady Bunch. Farrell had just the right personality to take over for Reed as Mike Brady, I can easily see Farrell in that role.

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Hmm ..... season 1 of the Magnum PI reboot going dvd-only and being released by CBS/Paramount. (The original Magnum PI was released by Universal).

At this point, perhaps this shouldn't be too surprising anymore.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
He might have been busy doing MASH at the time, but I think Mike Farrell would have been a good choice to replace Robert Reed on The Brady Bunch. Farrell had just the right personality to take over for Reed as Mike Brady, I can easily see Farrell in that role.

Which would have been another Danza-- Mike Farrell as Mike Brady!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks