TV on DVD is the Future

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matthew Furtek, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Matthew Furtek

Matthew Furtek Stunt Coordinator

Hello Everyone,
    I think what we are seeing right now is the beginning of a revolution in DVDs with all of these TV releases. Sanford and Son, the Jeffersons, I Love Lucy... etc. There are far more TV shows that need to be released in DVD than movies, that I believe most of the highly requested material will be TV shows.

Now with Fox releasing Malcolm and 24 before going into syndication, I think this is a great move and hopefully we can show that there is a market and support for these types of releases. I for one will be buying both, even though I never saw 24.

Anyone else have any opinions on this...?
    Matthew Furtek

2. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

Hey man, I agree with ya. I love TV on DVD, its SO much nicer to see these great shows without commercials. Currently, the only shows I have on TV are Star Trek TNG, and Friends, but I plan on starting with the Simpsons once they get to season 3, and I still have my fingers crossed for Married with Children.

I might even check out that 24 boxed set. I only caught one episode and it seemed like a neat show, but I just never spend any time at home watching TV anymore, so I didnt catch any of the other shows.

3. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I can watch TV with commercials, but I CAN'T watch it with the onscreen logos! So if they keep doing that, I'll just wait til shows come out on DVD.

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Married with Children is probably coming sooner rather than later, it's been in cable and broadcast syndication for the better part of a decade

5. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Matthew,
    To show how true your statement is. Look at how many tv show on dvd threads are on the site recently. Granted it helps that a lot of new shows are coming to dvd. But, that also is a sign of the impending onslaught of tv on dvd.
    Bring it on. [​IMG]

6. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

This is good news not only because of time constraints and lack of commercials, but higher quality sound and in more and more cases, widescreen enhanced.

All the new Fox shows announced for DVD will be 16:9 anamorphic as they are shown that way (if you're lucky enough to have a HDTV, well DTV in Fox's case). What I'm not sure of is if the sound will be 5.1 DD or not.

Does anyone know if the Fox shows are recorded in higher than the 480p DD 2.0 they're broadcast in? I know Titus is filmed in 1080p, but I'm not sure about all the rest. A shame Fox isn't doing full HDTV now, but that's a topic for another thread I guess...

7. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

I completely agree with you. One of the reasons I love having TV on DVD, the running time. When you watch a movie, it's 1-3hrs long, then it's over. With TV on DVD, you can watch multiple episodes in a row, and it's like a mini-movie, with more in the wing just waiting to be viewed. I'm going to need an extra storage unit just for these sets....there are so many unreleased that I'm hoping for.