What's new

TV on DVD/Blu Ray @ Big Lots: Anyone Confirm? (1 Viewer)

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
dropped by a different store. Not much of the $6 deal. the Nip/Tuck blu-ray rattled like dice.

But they had several Hanna-Barbera sets for $3 including Flintstones 2&3, Birdman and the first two Super Friends sets. The big find was the first volume of Popeye for $3.

chadHobbick

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad
Don't get me wrong, i'm glad for all the people that are getting these sets for a great price, but it does tick me off that they are discounted this low. It makes me think of myself as a fool for paying the release date price on some of these releseas. Yes, I know that sometimes if you wait 6 months or a year you can usually get them for lower, but $3 for some of these is ridiculous. I paid top price for Popeye V1 and Wait till Your Father Gets Home. I do agree w/a previous poster that it does dismay the loyal fan who will think twice before buying a new release and wait until they can find it super cheap, thereby putting the future of subsequent releases in danger. Like I said, I'm glad for the ones who have found these great deals, but ticked at WHV as well.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
Instead of getting mad, you just need to scoop up a couple copies and give them out as gifts. if you consider you made a buy one get one free deal, the frustration should go down. Although you really should figure out the best discount when a DVD comes out instead of paying close to MSRP. And remember that you've been enjoying the Popeye and Wait Till Your Father Gets Home DVDs for 2 years. You pay a little extra to see it then.

Think about the guy who paid $1,000 plus for the first Blu-ray players only to have their neighbors get them for under $200?

It's just the nature of the beast. And there are plenty of times where a DVD doesn't get knocked down in price, but ends up out of print so you have to fork up a small fortune to get it from a semi-auction site.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
You definitely cannot guarantee that every DVD or TV set will show up at Big Lots or in the dump bin at Wal-Mart for a ridiculously low price. If you waited to try and find every title you want for $3 or $6, you'd never find most of them. Also, despite my Big Lots purchases, I have no problem paying a normal retail price for something I really want. I just paid $30 for "Petticoat Junction - Season 2" at Wal-Mart. Yeah, it'll be cheaper in a few months, and I probably could have saved a few more bucks buying online (I know it was $28 at Amazon), but it's something I wanted right now and the price seemed reasonable to me (less than $1 per episode).

The selection at Big Lots in recent months seems to simply be Warner, by and large, clearing out their warehouses. I mean, what's the sense in still trying to sell "Joey - Season 1" for MSRP? May as well get a few bucks per set instead of actually paying out to send them to the landfill. I've seen a few Universal and HBO titles, but it's mostly Warner, including a lot of titles still in old snapper cases which they stopped using a few years ago.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Joe and Malcom make good points about waiting for Big Lots or Walmart bins. I guess most of us here are the same; if it's one of our Holy Grail shows, we're going to get it at release or soon after that. For me, Combat! was a show that I wouldn't have waited for close-out bin prices. And as Joe said, I've enjoyed watching that series on DVD since '05 . Another example for me is waiting for an R1 release of a show when it's available in R2/4.

That said, I need to drop by my local Big Lots store since I'd probably find something there at those prices. I rarely buy DVD's offline so it would be a change or routine to stop by Big Lots. From what I've read here, there are several shows that I'd have bought at Big Lots if I hadn't already had them.

As most here probably have, I have a loose tier/category of shows....

"Holy Grails": Buy soon after release dates

Middle Tiers: Buy at DD sales or wait for "Santa"

Low Tiers: Buy 2-3 years after release at online sales or Big Lots/Walmart bins

Most of my TV/DVD sets are in the Middle-tier group. I rarely pre-order or buy at release since we all know that their prices will drop eventually.

As for my R2/4 sets, I wasn't going to wait years for both Rich Man-Poor Man sets (Bk 1's been available in R2 since '03) nor wait for R1's of the 70's Bionic shows, if that happens at some point.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I was just at a local Big Lots and saw most of the sets mentioned, including most seasons of Dukes of Hazzard for $6, Dallas seasons 1 & 2 TOGETHER for $6, West Wing season 2 for $6, Nip Tuck Season 4 on Blu-ray for $6, and Roots 30th Anniversary for $3. But my scores were mostly great feature DVDs for $3. This is definitely a browse situation instead of target buying. You can't go in there with something in mind. Just expect to spend a little time hunting through the racks. It still cost me more in the end, though, because my wife had a shopping cart and knew how to use it.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I hear you, Jeff W. The majority of new releases? I usually wait a few weeks because Best Buy and Target run even cheaper sales on new releases of boxed sets, with the exception of some releases. NCIS, Bewitched, Bones are a few I usually buy the week of release. Most of the others I'll pick up weeks later.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Don't know if it's a nationwide thing, or just locally, but Big Lots is having an across the board 20% off sale today only. A chance for even greater savings.

SuzanneB

Stunt Coordinator
Looks like they're continuing to restock these. I happened upon them at my local store a few hours after they had gotten in a new shipment and picked up the following:

Thundercats Season 1 Volume 2 - $6
Thundercats Season Two Volume 2 - $6
Flinstones Season 2 - $3
Flinstones Season 3 - $3
Flinstones Season 5 - $3
Super Friends Season 1 - $3
Lois & Clark Season 1 - $3
Animaniacs Vol 1 - $6
Scooby-Doo's Creepiest Capers/Scooby-Doo's Spookiest Tales - $6

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
The Flintstones? Are you serious? Looks like I'll be hitting that second Big Lots store in the next day or so. I just stopped into the first Big Lots this morning and picked up:

Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman Season 1,2,3
Popeye Volume 1

All for $3 each. I'm wanting to snag those Flintstones season sets. Hopefully I can find them. But, I did notice that the sets that Big Lots are selling are all Warner Brothers titles. Here's hoping that I can get my hands on The Flintstones sets.

toylegiondotcom

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
Wow, Thanks for this thread, I had NO idea. I've just messaged my wife and we'll be hitting our two Big Lots locations tonight. I'll report back with my finds.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
My store restocked as well, finally getting some of the animated sets. Surprised to see them all marked for $3/set:

Popeye the Sailor - Volume 1
Dastardly & Muttley in their Flying Machines - Complete Series
The Flintstones - Seasons 3-4-5
The War At Home
Batman: the Animated Series - Volume 3
Wacky Races

Also saw the "Pebbles & Bam-Bam Show" set, and some new Tom & Jerry double features. They'd also added more general movie titles to the selection.

This is like addiction. Good thing I bought another DVD shelving unit at the Big Lots 20% off sale on Sunday.

Some of the packaging is a little odd on these. Some sets are not wrapped/sealed (Flintstones 4 & 5). I've also picked up a couple Rogers & Astaire titles that are in unsealed slimpaks.

Edited by Malcolm R - 7/21/2009 at 11:30 pm GMT

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
I read these Big Lot threads with a mix of amusement and envy, because 9 times out of 10 when I hit them, the 'good' stock is nowhere to be found. I was therefore amazed to find at the first location I stopped at Wait Till Your Father Gets Home for $6, Pebbles And Bam Bam for $3, as well as some great classics that I never got around to picking up like Ninotchka, Born to Kill, and others.
I was so impressed I decided to hit the other two stores in the area.
Was amazed to actually find the Lois & Clark (all seasons- though they only had one or two of S3 and S4), The Flintstones (S2), Popeye Vol. 1, and The Superman Serials set...all at $3.
The third location had an even better assortment of the classics.
I grabbed just about everything I thought looked remotely interesting. I'll research them tonight and see if they sound like they'll be worth keeping. If not, I'll wait till Thursday when they get their new shipments in, to take them back.

It does suck seeing more than a couple titles I picked up last summer in the DD sale being blown out for a fraction of what I paid- even on sale.

toylegiondotcom

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
Ok, I checked out my local two and the selection was pretty low. Nothing new to report, but they had

Nightcourt S1
Flinstones - S2, S3
The OC
West Wing
Joey S1
War at Home S1 (good show, actually!)
Tracey Takes On S1

There is a new location opening in my town on Thursday (payday - yay!) and we'll be checking that out to see if a lot of the new stock has been shipping there!

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I didn't get a chance to check out the other Big Lots but I'm heading out tomorrow morning. I really want to get those Flintstones sets.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
My Big Lots also had some copies of the Stephen King Series "Nightmares and Dreamscapes" which I think ran on TNT.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Crap, only one of the Nig Lots in my area is getting the Boxed Sets. Apparently the titles vary by region and they also limit what stores get them. I really wanted those Flintstones sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks