What's new

TV on DVD/Blu Ray @ Big Lots: Anyone Confirm? (1 Viewer)

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I'm hearing all kinds of reports that Big Lots is now selling various season sets of TV Shows on DVD and Blu Ray for around $6 each. Some of the titles that I'm hearing about is Wonder Woman, Smallville and others.

Can anyone confirm that?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The only way to know is to check your local store. I think they all carry different items at different times. I was at my store on Sunday, and they didn't have any of the TV titles (tons of DVD's, but no TV sets), but I know my store has had other DVD titles in the past that others apparently have not.

Jeff Reis

Stunt Coordinator
The Wonder Woman complete series set can be found for $6, but quantities seem very limited. One of the better bargains I've grabbed recently, it's $75 on Amazon.
The only Blu I've seen is Smallville S7 for $6.
Also lots and lots of Dallas, Dukes of Hazzard, Knots Landing, Friends, ER and OC season sets (among others), and the Complete History of the LA Lakers, History of Rock and Roll, Roots 30th Anniv, Super Bowl box sets, Animaniacs, Pinky and The Brain-- all for $6 a piece. Tons of WB classics also for $3 each.
Best Big Lots assortment ever.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Checked my store on the way home today. They'd finally got a few sets:

Dukes of Hazzard (S4-6)
The O.C.
Sex & the City (S6.V1)
Dallas
E.R.
Friends (S1, 5-7)
Joey S1
Night Court S1
Nip/Tuck S3
The Drew Carey Show S1
The West Wing S2

$6 each, seasons vary...I've listed what I can recall, most were later seasons. No sign of any Blu's.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
75 bucks for Wonder Woman? What, did it go out of print or something? Man, I should unload my old copies!

Anyway, I checked the one near my house - aside from a smattering of anime and kids series, there was nothing TV show related.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Here are some I saw in Lexington, KY (Eastland) on 7/1 (looks like I was a bit too early):
Night Court S1
Dukes of Hazzard S6
The OC S2
Joey S1
The Scooby Doo Movies (LOTS of these sets)
Animaniacs (1 or 2 sets)*
Pinky and the Brain (1 or 2 sets)*
Roots: The Next Generation
Super Bowl sets 2 and 3

I stopped in Richmond that same day and the only set they had was one of the Animaniacs one, though they did have a flat of WB snapper feature films (picked up There Was a Crooked Man for $3.00). Richmond doesn't really have a great track record with good DVD finds (they don't seem to stock nearly as many as stores such as Lexington, Somerset, Danville)

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Stopped in Richmond again today (7/9) and they've finally put some of the TV sets out. titles include:

Knots Landing S1
Six Feet Under S3
Dukes of Hazzard S5, S6
Superfriends volume 2
Scooby Doo Collection
The OC (no idea which season)
Life Goes On S1
Animaniacs
Pinky and the Brain
Joey S1
History of Rock-n-Roll
Nightmares/Dreamscapes
LA Lakers
West Wing (no idea which season)
Nip/Tuck S4
Smallville (one season DVD, one season BR)
Wonder Woman S2, S3, Collection
Roots 30th

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
I've seen these at one of the locations here in Huntsville. I hope that the other one will be putting them out soon.

There's been an embarassment of riches in those BL bins of late.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The TV sets are featured in this week's ad, which begins on Sunday, July 12. So all locations should have something out by Sunday (per the ad: selection varies by store).

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
dropped by my nearest Big Lots, they only seemed to have three dozen copies of Dukes of Hazzard: The Coy and Vance season. Even at $6, it's too much.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
At $6, it's still a bargain. Bo and Luke return for the last few episodes and it has some of the last appearances of Denver Pyle. In my opinion, Denver Pyle was Dukes of Hazzard, not Bo and Luke.

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
Was able to get Smallville S7 Blu & Smallville S6 HD DVD(have a HD DVD player but might still trade in w/ red2blue offer).

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Was able find Super Bowl Highlights for Volume Games 21-30, and 30-40. Six dollars each. They also had Season 2 of Dukes, Season 2 of West Wing, and Season 2 of The OC. Also found Roots: The Next Generation miniseries for 6.00 as well.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Originally Posted by DeWilson

I wonder why all these sets are being 'dumped' onto BIG LOTS?
I think the studios are cutting expenses by liquidating merchandise, instead of paying the cost of warehousing DVDs.

IMO, while they may be saving money, they are devaluating the product. When you can get the new reissue of Brainstorm or the special edition of Ryan's Daughter for $3, or a season of a TV show on Blu-ray for $6, it becomes just that more difficult for the average consumer to even consider paying higher prices for a DVD.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Originally Posted by Corey3rd

dropped by my nearest Big Lots, they only seemed to have three dozen copies of Dukes of Hazzard: The Coy and Vance season. Even at $6, it's too much.
Yeah...I actually would have bought 5 & 6 had they had the complete series there for 6 bucks a pop. But...nope... I remember liking the new guys okay originally. BUt that was a loooooooooooooong time ago.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I've only visited one in my area so far and all they had was Dukes of Hazzard Season 6, which I bought. I ended up purchasing Dukes of Hazzard at FYE, close by, for $22. I hope to be able to stop by the other Big Lots in my area and I hope to be able to pick up some more Dukes of Hazzard sets to limit the number of season sets I need to finish my Dukes of Hazzard library.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
The second store in my area said they weren't getting anymore boxed sets but I'm going to keep checking the first store I got that DoH boxed set from. I just hope that this is a line of DVD products they'll keep in stock or rotate out with other titles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks