What's new

TV on DVD Bargains & Rip-Offs (1 Viewer)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
You guys who are bitching about the original poster's use of MSRP are missing the point - the "Quantum Leap" & "Northen Exposure" sets are horribly overpriced.

Yeah, NE S1 was readily available for $35-$40. That's 8 1-hour episodes. You know what else is readily available for about the same price?? FULL seasons (22+ 1-hour episodes) of "The Waltons", "ER", "The West Wing", "Buffy", "Angel", etc., etc.

Universal is overpricing their sets. Plain & simple.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
You guys who are bitching about the original poster's use of MSRP are missing the point - the "Quantum Leap" & "Northen Exposure" sets are horribly overpriced.

Yeah, NE S1 was readily available for $35-$40. That's 8 1-hour episodes. You know what else is readily available for about the same price?? FULL seasons (22+ 1-hour episodes) of "The Waltons", "ER", "The West Wing", "Buffy", "Angel", etc., etc.

Universal is overpricing their sets. Plain & simple.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
For season sets, and I think that is all we're talking about so far, Star Trek at $140.00 takes the cake for me.

Are they out of their minds?

Glenn

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
For season sets, and I think that is all we're talking about so far, Star Trek at $140.00 takes the cake for me.

Are they out of their minds?

Glenn

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Here we go again....

Star Trek's MSRP is not $140. There is no MSRP.

Some other product from other studios won't have an MSRP, either.

Some retailers inflate the "List" price so they can give you what sounds like a good deal. They will frequently call this the MSRP.

Star Trek is cheaper, per episode, than a lot of shows (most A&E product, BBC shows, and the original prices for X-files, for example).

The studios are businesses, and they will charge what the market will bear. If you don't like the price, you have the option not to buy, or to buy in a secondary market.

Compare DVD season sets to prior releases on VHS and LD... it's a world of difference.

It's only a rip-off if you don't get what was promised for the money you spent. If you know going in that the product has value for you, and you agree to pay the price for that value, how are you ripped off?

-Scott

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Here we go again....

Star Trek's MSRP is not $140. There is no MSRP.

Some other product from other studios won't have an MSRP, either.

Some retailers inflate the "List" price so they can give you what sounds like a good deal. They will frequently call this the MSRP.

Star Trek is cheaper, per episode, than a lot of shows (most A&E product, BBC shows, and the original prices for X-files, for example).

The studios are businesses, and they will charge what the market will bear. If you don't like the price, you have the option not to buy, or to buy in a secondary market.

Compare DVD season sets to prior releases on VHS and LD... it's a world of difference.

It's only a rip-off if you don't get what was promised for the money you spent. If you know going in that the product has value for you, and you agree to pay the price for that value, how are you ripped off?

-Scott

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

Hey, if Universal gave you zero extras other than ads for all their other stuff, and replaced all the music in the set with something generic, horribly over-compressed the episodes to fit way too many on a single disc...so much so that the video looked like shit, and put the discs into some cheap-ass packaging that fell apart on your shelf, and then sold the sets at an ultra-low price, why then they wouldn't be "Universal". They would be "Columbia TriStar".

Edit: I'll amend this by saying that Columbia's made progress, and from projects in-the-works I think there will be more progress witnessed yet. However, other things prove that they still have a ways to go yet. :)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

Hey, if Universal gave you zero extras other than ads for all their other stuff, and replaced all the music in the set with something generic, horribly over-compressed the episodes to fit way too many on a single disc...so much so that the video looked like shit, and put the discs into some cheap-ass packaging that fell apart on your shelf, and then sold the sets at an ultra-low price, why then they wouldn't be "Universal". They would be "Columbia TriStar".

Edit: I'll amend this by saying that Columbia's made progress, and from projects in-the-works I think there will be more progress witnessed yet. However, other things prove that they still have a ways to go yet. :)

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen

Doesn't it just drive you buggy Scott? :)

I still see threads with people bitching that they think TNG/DS9 sets are a rip off because they are 120 bucks (US) or more, due to some BS "MSRP" that someone that is NOT Paramount set, so that it looks like a GREAT deal when you buy it. I bought all the sets for around 79 bucks (US) each. At a B&M no less.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen

Doesn't it just drive you buggy Scott? :)

I still see threads with people bitching that they think TNG/DS9 sets are a rip off because they are 120 bucks (US) or more, due to some BS "MSRP" that someone that is NOT Paramount set, so that it looks like a GREAT deal when you buy it. I bought all the sets for around 79 bucks (US) each. At a B&M no less.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I think that the HBO stuff is still overpriced. I think I paid $50+ for Oz Season 3 (8 episodes) and the Sopranos are up around 90 bucks each. These are all great discs, but way more expensive than I'd like them to be (especially since I'm sure they each sell a truckload of copies).

Actually, that's the main reason I passed on 6FU-too much for the season sets.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I think that the HBO stuff is still overpriced. I think I paid $50+ for Oz Season 3 (8 episodes) and the Sopranos are up around 90 bucks each. These are all great discs, but way more expensive than I'd like them to be (especially since I'm sure they each sell a truckload of copies).

Actually, that's the main reason I passed on 6FU-too much for the season sets.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Gee guys, pay attention! I'm so very sorry that I included a series that doesn't have an actual MSRP, so since this thread is about MSRP's, I can't talk about it then?

I don't give a rat's arse what any site or store put down as the MSRP - because it doesn't matter. What does matter is the end result. There are a lot of people out there that paid around a hundred bucks for each set.

Still way too high in my book - and they didn't even have to deal with any music rights. When you get a chance, ask yourself why Lucas isn't pricing this year's trilogy at $100. Would the market bear that?

"Your market" sells a lot of movies at around $20. Would it bear $22? What about the new releases that are at $15? How stupid can thy be not to price it at $20? They can put the 'extra' money into anothr release that cost more to put out.

Oh, you can't justify doing that (if you were a studio exec). Ok then, that's fine with me. Write out your explanation and I'll send it off to K-Mart and others that sell a few items at a loss just to get the customer in their doors.

Glenn

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Gee guys, pay attention! I'm so very sorry that I included a series that doesn't have an actual MSRP, so since this thread is about MSRP's, I can't talk about it then?

I don't give a rat's arse what any site or store put down as the MSRP - because it doesn't matter. What does matter is the end result. There are a lot of people out there that paid around a hundred bucks for each set.

Still way too high in my book - and they didn't even have to deal with any music rights. When you get a chance, ask yourself why Lucas isn't pricing this year's trilogy at $100. Would the market bear that?

"Your market" sells a lot of movies at around $20. Would it bear $22? What about the new releases that are at $15? How stupid can thy be not to price it at $20? They can put the 'extra' money into anothr release that cost more to put out.

Oh, you can't justify doing that (if you were a studio exec). Ok then, that's fine with me. Write out your explanation and I'll send it off to K-Mart and others that sell a few items at a loss just to get the customer in their doors.

Glenn

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

No they're not. Lets look at what 40 bucks will get you:

01) Quantum Leap = 9 hours of TV shows, and about half an hour of interviews.

02) Two (maybe three) normal movies on DVD = 6 hours give or take.

03) Four movies from the MGM Midnight Movie series = about 8 hours of entertainment, plus trailers and liner notes.

Seems to me that QL is the winner as far as the hours of entertainment to dollar ratio goes.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

No they're not. Lets look at what 40 bucks will get you:

01) Quantum Leap = 9 hours of TV shows, and about half an hour of interviews.

02) Two (maybe three) normal movies on DVD = 6 hours give or take.

03) Four movies from the MGM Midnight Movie series = about 8 hours of entertainment, plus trailers and liner notes.

Seems to me that QL is the winner as far as the hours of entertainment to dollar ratio goes.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
[CROCHETY OLD MAN]All you young whippersnappers are spoiled! Back in 1980, (in addition to having to walk uphill to school in ten feet of snow) Star Trek episodes cost $79 per two episodes. Taking inflation into account, that's $187.96 in 2002 dollars! The entire series cost over $7,500 in 2002 dollars. The DVD reissues will cost only $300, and that's the SUNCOAST price. Less, if you shop at Costco. And we didn't have Costco back in the olden days either. And there was no Internet either, so if we thought a price was too high, we had no one to complain to! So take a little cheese with your whine and help me find my hearing aid.[/CROCHETY OLD MAN] :)

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
[CROCHETY OLD MAN]All you young whippersnappers are spoiled! Back in 1980, (in addition to having to walk uphill to school in ten feet of snow) Star Trek episodes cost $79 per two episodes. Taking inflation into account, that's $187.96 in 2002 dollars! The entire series cost over $7,500 in 2002 dollars. The DVD reissues will cost only $300, and that's the SUNCOAST price. Less, if you shop at Costco. And we didn't have Costco back in the olden days either. And there was no Internet either, so if we thought a price was too high, we had no one to complain to! So take a little cheese with your whine and help me find my hearing aid.[/CROCHETY OLD MAN] :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks