tv ntsc problem

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by chun, Aug 22, 2002.

1. chun

chun Auditioning

my prob:
    ive bought a marantz dvd player (dv4100) while i was overseas in hong kong last christmas, and since bringing it back to australia, all the playback of my R1 dvds are b&w..ok. i understand the dvds are NTSC formatted and australian systems are PAL. but thats not the problem..

i have a toshiba multisystem tv (toshiba BAZOOKA 29BS90) which was apparently imported from japan and made for use for japan ONLY. therefore the conclusion drawn from japan being a nation using nothing but NTSC, this dvd player shouldnt have any problems with R1 discs, but still b&w

ive taken the player to an australian hifi shop and had it tested on their tvs, and fine, they playbacked colour. wats worse is that the only instruction book for the tv is in damn japanese (cant read it) and the original remote didnt come with the tv. so if there was a button on the remote to flip between ntsc and pal it would answer my problem.

my previous dvd player (shinco dvd-180) had function on the remote to change systems, but marantz doesnt.. is there a way i can get around this without getting a new tv? say a ntsc to pal converter? ive heard they reduce the signal and isnt worth the trouble

there is a whole long story to this and i dont want to bore you, its taken me 8 months to try and figure this out and im about to rip every living and none living hair outta my skull if i dont resolve this..

thanks
    terry

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

How does the TV work for over the air telecasts?

3. chun

chun Auditioning

hi, over the air telecast are fine.. since in australia. everything shown is PAL... full color and sound

see me shinco dvd player, had button on the remote to choose the tv type. and evrything showed perfect..so i know the tv is currently set to PAL mode.. but there has to be a way to change it back, and since the remote is not orignial. im kinda stuck in the mud.. i dont even know if the original remote has the button to toggle ntsc to pal and viceversa

the marantz dvd player doesnt have that option..
    and i dont really want to buy a new tv just yet..

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

If it were me, I'd give up and get a multi-region DVD player in Oz. When I lived in Rozelle, I picked up a Samsung (can't remember the model anymore) and it played back NTSC DVDs on my PAL TV—I really did not have to make changes to either the TV or DVD player when switching back and forth between PAL and NTSC . Just take a R1 DVD to Bing Lee or someone and see which DVD player works.
    For a customer service oriented place, I recommend Audio Connection on Parramatta Road in Leichhardt. Almost for sure these guys will let you experiment. They may also be able to solve your problems.
    This link will provide you with more information. I found them to be both helpful and knowledgeable.

5. chun

chun Auditioning

hey les..

yeah i have taken it to a similar place where they allowed me to do some test with r1 disc.. i took it to appollo hifi in marrackville.. they are pretty good considering they have been around for over 30 years.. good reputation

and teh player works on the tv they have there.. so i know teh problem is in the tv..

see the dvd player is fine . i just wanted to know if tehre is anything i can do with the tv? do you know a toshiba site that can deal with problems related to tv problem.. cos ive searched the net and cant find one in english and and that can do tv help

thanks