What's new

TV Movies on DVD / Blu Ray (1 Viewer)

HubbaBubbaKid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Frankie
is there a list of pre -1980’s TV Movies on DVD or Blu Ray ?

I just watched The Blue Knight (fantastic character study) and will probably pick it up. I have Then Came Bronson and Operation Heartbeat ( Medical Center TV Movie) already and i know that warner archives has a lot more but i couldn’t find a list .

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Birds of Prey (David Janssen) and Detonator and Detonator 2 (both pre-Bond but post-Remington Steele Pierce Brosnan) were full releases now out of print. Add Babe (Susan Clark and Alex Karas in the biopic of Babe Didrickson Zaharias) and Smile Jenny, You're Dead (David Janssen in the second pilot for his Harry O series) via Warner Archive. SOS Titanic (David Janssen again) is newly out from Kino-Lorber, and included in a sale that ends soon.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Off the top of my head, this is what I can confirm (a B to indicate Blu-Ray):

Then Came Bronson (1969)
Operation Heartbeat (1969)
City Beneath The Sea (1971)
Earth II (1971)
The Night Stalker (1972) (B)
The Night Strangler (1973) (B)
Double Indemnity (1973)
The Blue Knight (1973) (B)
Genesis II (1973) (B)
Planet Earth (1974) (B)
Wonder Woman (1974)
(Cathy Lee Crosby version)
The Phantom Of Hollywood (1974)
The Missiles Of October (1974)
The Deadly Tower (1975)
Babe (1975)
Winter Kill (1975)
Trilogy Of Terror (1975) (B)
Mayday At 40,000 Feet (1976)
Time Travelers (1976)
Flood (1976)
Fire! (1977)
The Bermuda Depths (1978)
Superdome (1978) (B)
SOS Titanic (1979) (B)

And of course we have to also include miniseries like "Roots", "Jesus Of Nazareth" and "Backstairs At The White House". The PBS miniseries "Adams Chronicles" was also released.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
In addition to others already mentioned and also available from Kino-Lorber:

(A few are also on Blu-ray)

Target: Harry (filmed in 1968 as a TV pilot by Roger Corman, but not shown till 1980!) Vic Morrow, Suzanne Pleshette, Victor Buono, Cesar Romero, Charlotte Rampling.
Fear No Evil/Ritual of Evil double feature (1969, Louis Jourdan, Bradford Dillman, Lynda Day, Marsha Hunt, Carrol O'Connor / Louis Jourdan, Anne Baxter, Diana Hyland, Belinda Montgomery.
Wild Women (1970) Hugh O'Brien, Anne Francis, Marilyn Maxwell, Marie Windsor, Sherry Jackson.
The Trackers (1971) Sammy Davis Jr., Ernest Borgnine, Julie Adams.
Pursuit (1972) Ben Gazzara, E.G. Marshall, William Windom, Martin Sheen.
Bounty Man (1972) Clint Walker, Richard Baseheart, John Erickson, Margot Kidder.
Pray For the Wildcats (1974) Andy Griffith, William Shatner, Angie Dickinson, Robert Reed, Janet Margolin.
Killdozer (1974) Clint Walker, Neville Brand, Carl Betz.

I can't remember if KL has already announced The House That Wouldn't Die (1970) Barbara Stanwyck, Richard Egan.

From Warner Archive:
Don't be Afraid of the Dark (1973) Kim Darby, Jim Hutton, Barbara Anderson, William Demarest.

From Timeless/Shout:
Yuma (1970) Clint Walker, Barry Sullivan, Mark Richman, Kathryn Hays, Edgar Buchanan.

From Film Chest and others as it's P.D.
They Call it Murder (1971) Jim Hutton, Leslie Nielsen, Ed Asner, Lloyd Bochner, Jessica Walter, Jo Anne Pflug.

Last edited:

HubbaBubbaKid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Frankie
thx guys! i’ve run out of tv series i‘ve wanted to pick up in my preferred buying era (50’s - 70’s) and totally forgot about the TV movies & miniseries . Oh yea, i saw Night Chase ( David Janssen, Yaphet Kotto) and am thinking about picking that up as well. Speaking of Janssen , he seemed to be the king of the 70’s TV movie

Last edited:

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
TV movies back in the 70s were a perfect outlet for those who had been stars of their own shows or had film careers to have "star" vehicles whenever they didn't have their own series. This is why someone like a Janssen would do so many and never do the "guest star of the week" thing on someone else's show (save for his one shot thing on "Cannon"). Actors like Robert Stack would also go this route and you never saw him as the guest of the week on other shows either.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I love 1970s Made-for-TV Movies. Here's a few from my collection:

1604363144413.png

Last edited:

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
A lot of these TV movies were released on budget DVD labels, so they are not legit releases. I remember purchasing these at the Dollar Stores for a buck when the DVD craze first hit. They may have fallen in the public domain. Most were not restored and look like they've been transferred from videotape.

1604364803464.png

Last edited:

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
TV movies back in the 70s were a perfect outlet for those who had been stars of their own shows or had film careers to have "star" vehicles whenever they didn't have their own series. This is why someone like a Janssen would do so many and never do the "guest star of the week" thing on someone else's show (save for his one shot thing on "Cannon"). Actors like Robert Stack would also go this route and you never saw him as the guest of the week on other shows either.

Elizabeth Montgomery was another one. She was once dubbed "Queen of the TV movies."

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
A few more I have off the top of my head:
Impulse (1974) starring William Shatner as a serial killer of wealthy widows.
The Boy in the Plastic Bubble with John Travolta
Murder on Flight 502 (1975) Robert Stack, Sonny Bono and Farrah Fawcett-Majors
SST Death Flight (1977)
Get Christie Love (pilot TV movie)
Satan's Schools for Girls (1973)

Again, most of these movies were released by smaller DVD companies and wouldn't be considered legit releases.

HubbaBubbaKid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Frankie

yea , i guess it would be hard to go from being the star of a series then be relegated to doing guest shots . especially back then when tv was considered a step down to movies unlike today.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Bad Ronald (1974, Warner Archive Blu-ray)
The Norliss Tapes (1973, Anchor Bay DVD)
The Last Dinosaur (1977, Warner Archive DVD)
Dying Room Only (1973, Warner Archive DVD)
In This House of Brede (1975, VCI DVD)

Originally intended as made-for-TV, but released theatrically, instead:

The Killers (1964, Criterion, paired with the 1946 film)
Dark Intruder (1965, coming from Kino Lorber in Spring 2021)
Chamber of Horrors (1966, Warner DVD)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cescobianchi
Recent bookmarks