What's new

TV Movie Titles We'd Unlikely See on Blu-Ray or DVD for That Matter... (1 Viewer)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
The one TV movie I really really want is Smash Up On Interstate 5 (1976). The movie begins with the narrator telling us that a smash up of 39 cars will result in 14 deaths and over 60 injuries. Then we flash back to 48 hours before the deadly smash up and see the lives of a group of people leading up to their involvement in the crash, some of who won't survive the event. The large cast includes Tommy Lee Jones, Vera Miles, Robert Conrad, Sue Lyon, Buddy Ebsen, Harriet Nelson, Terry Moore, Donna Mills and David Nelson among others.

It was shown on ABC and was an MGM TV production so I assume Warners has the rights.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Here are a few I'd love to see:
LAST HOURS BEFORE MORNING - Ed Lauter
GOODNIGHT, MY LOVE - Richard Boone
GOLDEN GATE MURDERS - David Janssen
CURSE OF THE BLACK WIDOW - Tony Franciosa
THE DEAD DON'T DIE - George Hamilton
VAMPIRE - Richard Lynch
Add CITY IN FEAR -- David Janssen, Robert Vaughn, Mickey Rourke, Perry King, WIlliam Daniels, Susan Sullivan

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Here are 25 TVMs that, to my knowledge, aren't on DVD or Blu. Some I've seen, some I haven't; but I'd buy them all (and quite a few others) if they're ever made available.

Between Friends (1983) - Elizabeth Taylor, Carol Burnett
Brass (1985) - Carroll O'Connor, Lois Nettleton [only appears to have had a VHS release]
Curse of the Black Widow (1977) - Tony Franciosa, Patty Duke; produced & directed by Dan Curtis [only appears to have had a VHS release]
The Death of Ocean View Park (1979) - Mike Connors, Martin Landau
Dial Hot Line (1970) - Vince Edwards
Disaster on the Coastliner (1979) - Lloyd Bridges, William Shatner, E G Marshall, Raymond Burr
The Elevator (1974) – James Farentino, Roddy McDowall, Myrna Loy
Ghost of a Chance (1987) - Dick Van Dyke, Redd Foxx
The Great American Traffic Jam (1980) – John Beck, Noah Beery [only appears to have had a VHS release]
A Howling in the Woods (1971) – Barbara Eden, Larry Hagman
Isn't It Shocking? (1973) - Alan Alda, Louise Lasser
Just Me and You (1978) - Louise Lasser, Charles Grodin; script by Lasser
Killer Bees (1974) - Kate Jackson, Gloria Swanson
A Killing Affair (1977) - Elizabeth Montgomery, O.J. Simpson (Yeah, I know we'll never see this one.)
Let’s Switch (1975) – Barbara Eden, Barbara Feldon
The Missing Are Deadly (1975) – Ed Nelson, Leonard Nimoy
The Morning After (1974) - Dick Van Dyke; script by Richard Matheson
Murder at the World Series (1977) - Lynda Day George, Janet Leigh
Murder by Natural Causes (1979) - Hal Holbrook, Katharine Ross; script by Levinson & Link
Packin' It In (1983) - Richard Benjamin, Paula Prentiss [only appears to have had a VHS release]
See China and Die (1981) - Esther Rolle, Frank Converse; produced, written & directed by Larry Cohen
She Waits (1972) - Patty Duke, David McCallum
Sister, Sister (1982) - Diahann Carroll, Rosalind Cash, Irene Cara
Sky Heist (1975) - Don Meredith, Stefanie Powers
Two for the Money (1972) - Robert Hooks, Mercedes McCambridge

Jenny Peerey

Agent
Real Name
Jenny
Almost any t.v. movie from the 60's-80's is unlikely to get a Blu or a DVD release. The list would be much shorter if you were challenging us to come up with a list of likely releases. So much out there that I would instantly purchase, even before current movies like TENET. I am pleasantly surprised when one actually surfaces. But if it took this long for an Emmy-winner like BRIAN'S SONG to be given a Blu-ray release, what chance has any of these...?

THAT CERTAIN SUMMER (Early LGBTQ topic.)
SURVIVING (A family coping with the suicide of a child.)
THE CIRCLE OF CHILDREN & LOVEY (Jane Alexander. 'Nuff said.)
THE BURNING SEASON (Raul Julia as a doomed South American rainforest activist.) WAC?
A COLD NIGHT'S DEATH (We all know about and want this one.)
MARY JANE HARPER CRIED LAST NIGHT (Child abuse.)
THE PEOPLE (KIm Darby and William Shatner.)
HEARTSOUNDS (James Garner & Mary Tyler Moore. Downbeat but powerful.)
COUNTDOWN TO LOOKING GLASS (Nuclear thriller.)
RED ALERT (Ditto.)
SOMETHING EVIL (Spielberg supernatural thriller.)
COMMON GROUND (Three stories about gay struggles.)
THE DARK SECRET OF HARVEST HOME (Should have been an R-rated theatrical film.)
EXECUTION OF PRIVATE SLOVIK (Emmy-winner with Martin Sheen.)
TRAPPED (James Brolin locked into a store at night with several guard dogs.)
GO ASK ALICE (Teenage drug addiction.)
THE U.F.O. INCIDENT (with James Earl Jones & Estelle Parsons)
VAMPIRE (with Jason Miller and E.G. Marshall.)
WELCOME HOME, JOHNNY BRISTOL) (Martin Landau.)
SMALL SACRIFICES (with Farrah Fawcett and Ryan O'Neal)
and so, so many more...
I actually have a copy of a DVD of "Mary Jane Harper Cried Last Night." No idea how I got this copy of the movie. I know it's not a studio release but that is ok with me. I have a huge library of movies I copied on tape and put them on DVD. I didn't do this one though. But as least, I have it. Also, another one I have that's a bit strange is "You Lie So Deep, My Love." It stars 2 actors who were in the series "Ironside."

Jenny Peerey

Agent
Real Name
Jenny
I have "Surviving" taped off the CTV network in Canada, and "Small Sacrifices" taped off ABC when it originally aired.
I also have "Small Sacrifices." Another movie I thought was interesting and I have it as well, is a thriller starring Valarie Harper and it is "Night Terror."

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I actually have a copy of a DVD of "Mary Jane Harper Cried Last Night." No idea how I got this copy of the movie. I know it's not a studio release but that is ok with me. I have a huge library of movies I copied on tape and put them on DVD. I didn't do this one though. But as least, I have it. Also, another one I have that's a bit strange is "You Lie So Deep, My Love." It stars 2 actors who were in the series "Ironside."

Hi, Jenny, and welcome back to the forum!

One from my original list finally is coming out - THE U.F.O. INCIDENT. I imagine your copy of MARY JANE HAPRER looks like a bad VHS copy, right? I have a few of those. Almost better than nothing!

Last edited:

mp227us

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
Another one from the Universal vaults is The Other Man starring Joan Hackett and Roy Thinnes. This is a nifty little tale of adultery and murder mystery. There is also a twist ending. I believe it originally aired as a network TV movie in the 70’s but it also played in syndication for years.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Attack on Terror: The FBIvs. the Ku Klux Klan, the two-part tv movie that aired on CBS on 2/20/75 and 2/21/75. I saw this as a kid and loved it.

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
susie q stars amy jop johnson and justin whalin may have unlikly due to subject manner.
stepsister from planet weird stars khrystyne haje of head of the class fame may have seem unlikely due to mature themes.

Last edited:

ccrawford

Premium
Real Name
Cathy
Guilty Or Innocent: The Sam Shepherd Murder Case (1975), starring George Peppard. I saw this when it ran originally, an excellent film about the Cleveland Doctor accused of killing his wife, back in the 1950's.

I'd love to see a proper release of this, but seems very unlikely.

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
ricky nelson,original teen idol from vh1 in 1999 i like to see a release from shout factory but it seems unlikely

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Seeing this thread revived, I am a little bit surprised that I didn't chime in with some of the usual suspects that I fondly recall viewing on television many years ago. I was a big fan of the ABC Movie of the Week and watched it (almost) religiously. I have picked up some of the releases that made their way to official media, but surely would like to see more...

I have no idea if any of these will ever be released, but as time goes by it seems less and less likely.

Savages (1974) - I've always liked survival stories and it was enjoyable seeing Andy Griffith cast against type.

The Challenge (1970) - Another survival story with Darren McGavin and Mako in single combat on a jungle island with possession of a satellite at stake. Not sure how this would play now, but I was impressed with this film back in the day.

Tribes (1970) - Another 1970 film. I have an 'unofficial release' somewhere in my collection, but would happily purchase this title. Darren McGavin, Jan Michael Vincent, Earl Holliman in a terrific feature.

Haunts of the Very Rich (1972) - Very atmospheric title where things are not what they seem to be. Part of the attraction of this film is the cast which features a lot of prominent actors from that era.

I'll second The Love War previously mentioned in this thread. The SF angle is enough to get my attention.

These are some of the titles that readily come to mind.

- Walter.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
If I figure correctly, Spelling (both as an indie and for other companies like Columbia Pictures Television and ABC Films) and Universal Television made the most TV Movies in the history of TV Movies (and Universal had a half-decade start on Spelling...)

Paramount Television made a good number as well. 20th Didn't seem to make a lot, a handful each season if that, Columbia Pictures Television/Screen Gems made a few before, during and after Spelling did stuff for the studio.

Metromedia made a few, Warners made a good number.
ABC did a lot in house (Some of the "Wide World of Entertainment" late night quickies shot on Video Tape are "missing"!) and of course American International Pictures did a handful.

and I'm sure there are a bunch of indies who did some.

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
my son johnny from 1991 stars corin nemec ,rick schroder and michelle lee,about sibling violence with two brothers that was sent to the courtroom with one dead.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Still wanted on Blu-Ray or for Paramount Plus:
Seven in Darkness (1969)
The Silent Gun (1969)
Quarantined (1970)
Weekend of Terror (1970)
Assault on the Wayne (1971)
Dr. Cook's Garden (1971)
Escape (1971)
Terror in the Sky (1971)
Women in Chains (1972)
The New Healers (1972)
Night of Terror (1972)
The Heist (1972)
The Weekend Nun (1972)
The Devil's Daughter (1973)
Poor Devil (1973)
Call to Danger (1973)
A Time for Love (1973)
The Magician (TV movie) (1973)
Egan (1973)
Night Games (Petrocelli) (1974)
Delancey Street: The Crisis Within (1975)
Delta County, U.S.A. (1977)
Escape from Bogen County (1977)
Flesh and Blood (1979)
Act of Violence (1979)
Letters from Frank (1979)
The Gift (1979)
Top of the Hill (1980)
The Girl, Gold Watch and Everything (1980)
The Girl, Gold Watch and Dynamite (1981)
A Woman Called Golda (1982)
Space (1985)
Shooter (1988)

~Ben

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
the face in the milk carton,1995 made for tv movie,stars kellie martin,sharon lawrence and edward herrman,about a teenage woman,who was kidnapped by there parents.based on a best selling novel by caroline b.clooney.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks