What's new

TV Movie Titles We'd Unlikely See on Blu-Ray or DVD for That Matter... (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Tyson
The old Prism label released a number of TV movies back in the day. Kino and Shout Factory have released some TV movies on DVD / blu ray. I have on Prism VHS "Little Ladies of the Night" 1977 teen prostitution, "No place to hide" Kathleen Beller 1981 thriller. Another Kathleen Beller thriller "Deadly Messages" 1984 was never released on VHS in North America, only Australia. Would love to see these on DVD or blu ray. Shout Factory released "Are you in the house alone" 1978, again with Kathleen Beller. I suggested to them "No place to hide" and "Deadly Messages" but they did not respond. There were a lot of good made for television movies back in the 70s - 90s.

Scamp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
Murder Can Hurt You, which was a TV detective parody with Don Adams narrating.

A Howling in the Woods with Barbara Eden and Larry Hagman. There were some pretty good tv movies. At the very least, they captured my imagination.

--james
Have thought of "Murder Can Hurt You" many times in wishing for it to be released on physical media. Not familiar with "A Howling in the Woods", but the title is interesting and can't go wrong with both Hagman and Eden in it.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
There is still hope - Warner Archives released this one on blu:

1610480333622.png

jayembee

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jerry
Yup, I'd think any TV movie with sci-fi or horror aspect has the best chance of release (& selling well), like, A Cold Night's Death on your list.

Or (also on his list) The People, which I have on VHS (a friend came across a copy, and gave to me for my birthday one year).

A couple of other TV movies I've thought of...related in that they use the same trope of pretending to be a "Breaking News" type deal:

Special Bulletin (1983). An astonishing movie from the Marshall Herskovitz & Edward Zwick team, about terrorists threatening to set off a nuclear bomb in Charleston, South Carolina. Ed Flanders and Kathryn Walker played the news anchors covering it. It was a comment about the way the news media handles threats of this gravity as much as it was about the threat itself. It was, at least at one point, the only TV movie that Leonard Maltin's movie guide rated "way above average". It was released on VHS (I have a copy) by Warner, and later on DVD-R (which I don't have, but I should look into that) by WAC. I'd love to see WAC release it on Blu-ray, but I doubt that'll ever happen, since (as far as I know) it was completely shot and post-processed on SD video.

Special Report: Journey to Mars (1996). Similar deal, about media coverage of the first manned mission to Mars. Starred Keith Carradine and Alfre Woodard. Not nearly as good as the previous, but it has its own pluses. Owned by CBS, I believe.

jayembee

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jerry
Plus Willliams is sitting on TOM CORBETT: SPACE CADET and SPACE PATROL... Supposedly a complete run of All 210 ABC Half hour Space Patrols (UCLA is sitting on over 300 of the daily 15 minute local version!) and alot of unseen Tom Corbett shows from across the entire 4-Network 5 year run! (Nobody is really sure how many of The Corbett episodes, but it's alleged to be substantial - both the 15 and 30 minute versions - runs of story arcs for the 15s.)
Williams is also sitting on all of whatever episodes still exist of Tales of Tomorrow. I've got the three DVDs he released through Image/Corinth, but I'm not sure whether that's all of the extant episodes. I do recall taping a bunch of (edited) episodes off of The Sci Fi Channel back in the late 90s/early 00s.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Something Evil is available on DVD in Germany. Not the greatest picture quality, but watchable.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Or (also on his list) The People, which I have on VHS (a friend came across a copy, and gave to me for my birthday one year).

A couple of other TV movies I've thought of...related in that they use the same trope of pretending to be a "Breaking News" type deal:

Special Bulletin (1983). An astonishing movie from the Marshall Herskovitz & Edward Zwick team, about terrorists threatening to set off a nuclear bomb in Charleston, South Carolina. Ed Flanders and Kathryn Walker played the news anchors covering it. It was a comment about the way the news media handles threats of this gravity as much as it was about the threat itself. It was, at least at one point, the only TV movie that Leonard Maltin's movie guide rated "way above average". It was released on VHS (I have a copy) by Warner, and later on DVD-R (which I don't have, but I should look into that) by WAC. I'd love to see WAC release it on Blu-ray, but I doubt that'll ever happen, since (as far as I know) it was completely shot and post-processed on SD video.

Special Report: Journey to Mars (1996). Similar deal, about media coverage of the first manned mission to Mars. Starred Keith Carradine and Alfre Woodard. Not nearly as good as the previous, but it has its own pluses. Owned by CBS, I believe.

SPECIAL BULLETIN is a scary, suspenseful nuclear terrorism film that doesn't end well for anyone (i.e. it pulls no punches). The DVD is pretty good, I think. I do not believe it would benefit much from a Blu-ray upgrade.

maxfabien

Agent
Real Name
Walter
Bette Davis made several excellent movies for television. "Strangers", "White Mama", "A Piano for Mrs. Cimino", "Little Gloria...Happy at Last", "Right of Way", "The Disappearance of Aimee", and of course, "The Dark Secret of Harvest Home, along with several others. Some of these would be excellent choices for Blu-ray consideration.

FriendlyGhost

Auditioning
Real Name
Allen
Here are a few I'd love to see:
LAST HOURS BEFORE MORNING - Ed Lauter
GOODNIGHT, MY LOVE - Richard Boone
GOLDEN GATE MURDERS - David Janssen
CURSE OF THE BLACK WIDOW - Tony Franciosa
THE DEAD DON'T DIE - George Hamilton
VAMPIRE - Richard Lynch

randyoh

Auditioning
Real Name
Randy Michael
I’d like to see A Death In Canaan (1978) with Stefanie Powers & Paul Clemens. It aired on CBS and even got an Emmy nomination. TCM has it listed on their site so it may be under Warner or Lorimar control. Just another film lost to time.

Desdinova

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
I was dropping in to mention Daughter of the Mind but SIBIE beat me to it! :)

While I'm heppy to have the two MFTV movies of the Night Stalker on blu-ray, I'd love to have the series on blu, also.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Any of the great ABC Movie of the Weeks would be great. A couple of 'em got DVD releases - The Girl Most Likely to and Isn't It Shocking? but they don't look so hot. My personal want is Incident in San Francisco, with Richard Kiley, David Opatashu, and a lot of other terrific actors, including Christopher Connelly - this was actually a back door pilot for a series for the Connelly character. Great score by Pat Williams, too. I had a wonderful LPP 16mm print that I wish I still had. I think many of these movies were not properly copyrighted, which is part of the problem.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The Girl Most Likely To... did get a Blu-ray release from Kino. I reviewed it here. I'd love to see many others that have been mentioned here get the Blu-ray treatment.

JamesSmith

Screenwriter
How many of these tv movies were owned by WB? If they were made by Warner's, there is a greater chance that the Archives might put them out? Anybody guess a percentage?

--jthree

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
How many of these tv movies were owned by WB? If they were made by Warner's, there is a greater chance that the Archives might put them out? Anybody guess a percentage?

--jthree
Hard to guess -
Here is a list from wikipedia

This list is only Warner Television -other entities (HBO, Hanna-Barbera, Lorimar) are listed below this list at the link above -​

Television films and specials​

Warner Bros. Television​

I have added the following notes:

* Released on Blu-Ray (Wonder Woman in WW Blu-ray set)
** Released as part of some Gone With The Wind blu-rays
+ Released on DVD may be out of print

Feel free to update if needed

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samuel698