tv making a buzzing sound

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark_Su, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Mark_Su

Mark_Su Agent

My sony wega makes a very faint buzzing sound whenever it's plugged into an electrical outlet- i've tried unplugging everything that's plugged into it and the buzz still remains, even if the tv is turned off. i tried plugging it into a surge protector with a 40db noise filter and the buzz is still there. None of the other tvs in my house do this- anyone have any suggestions?

2. ChrisMcK

ChrisMcK Stunt Coordinator

I get the same thin with my Wega,starts out loud when the TV is first turned on but usually fades away after the tv "warms up". Don't know what causes it though

3. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    So the TV is turned off (with no cables attached) and it still makes a buzzing sound? This is likely the sound of the transformer rattling against the inside of the TV. Transformers (due to their magnetic nature) are capable of vibrating if they are not tightened down. Have your local service tech take a look at the set and repair the problem.

4. Mark_Su

Mark_Su Agent

Chris, now that I listen I think mine also quiets down after a few minutes. Weird. Thanks for the diagnosis Greg, and yes, no tv or AV cables are plugged in and the tv is off. Too bad that taking it to a repair center might cost as much as the tv itself. Sigh.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

How old is the set? Which model?

You're saying it buzzes even when unplugged? That's interesting.

You can probably have a tech come and pick the set up. Keep us posted.