TV Hookup

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Norm Por, Jan 5, 2003.

1. Norm Por

Norm Por Auditioning

I have just purchased an Onkyo HTS 650. I am very happy with this system and am slowly "learning the ropes". Right now I have an S-video cord between the DVD player and TV. The DVD audio goes to the Onkyo receiver. I would like to play broastcast TV through the Onkyo speakers. What is the proper hook up. Currently the TV/Video switch is set to TV for watching the TV and then Video for the DVD player.
    Thank You.

2. James Brown

James Brown Stunt Coordinator

If your TV has a MONITOR OUT jack, you can take cables from there and hook up to a spare input on the Onkyo. You would then switch the TV's audio to Fixed or Variable.

hope this helps.

3. Mark_Su

Mark_Su Agent

i have the same system and am trying to do the same thing, however when i hook up the audio cables from my tv's output into the receivers input, all i get is a hum and barely audible sound. any suggestions?

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Mark, there are a couple of things you can check. Most of these jacks are variable, meaning their level is controlled by the TV’s volume control. So make sure the volume is turned up. If there is a “Speakers Off” option, be sure and use it.
    Also, check the menu to see if there is an option to turn the audio output jacks on or off.
    Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

another way to think of it norm.
    you want the sound to travel out from the tv into the receiver. so:
    tv audio out (left/right) --> onkyo aux input (left/right)
    that way, the sound will "travel" to the receiver so you can play it through your speakers.