TV headphone question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott_AH, Dec 4, 2002.

1. Scott_AH

Scott_AH Stunt Coordinator

I'm not sure where to put this post so if this is wrong, someone please let me know...

I'm trying to hook a basic set of headphones to a TV with no headphone jack. Can I put an "RCA-to-headphone jack" Y-cable on the TV's audio out and plug the headphones into it or would there be some issue with this I'm not aware of?

Scott

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

The output is very low (line level)- the headphones will likely need some slight amplification.

They make small headphone amps which will take RCA inputs from the TV set and amplify it for headphones.

-Vince

3. Scott_AH

Thanks Vince. Do you know where I can find one of these amps? Radio Shack perhaps?

Scott

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Scott,

All you need to do is send the TV’s audio jacks to a vacant input on your receiver. Then you can select that input and hear the TV through the ‘phones.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. Scott_AH

I know but it's for my grandpa and he doesn't even know what a receiver is, much less own one. Thanks though.

Scott

6. Chris Chang

Chris Chang Stunt Coordinator

I also wanted to get something similar for my dad. When he exercises, he can't hear the tv and has nowhere to plug in his headphones (this particular tv isn't hooked up to a reciever). I've been looking at some headphone amps, but they're all really expensive! Usually >$200. I just want to get something cheap that gets the job done. Anyone have any suggestions?