What's new

TV guys, I need Ideas on HDTV set no wider than 36". (1 Viewer)

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
HI,
I am looking for a new TV to put in my new ent. center(I currently have a 27" regular sony. The spot is only 36" wide(height is no prob) so a 36"XBR is out. I'm looking for all the goodies the XBR's have (3:2 pulldown, Progressive/line doubler, Flat, HDTV ready at least, etc...
I'm fairly new to the TV technology and industry so I don't know much about all the new TV's but I'm learning quick.
I have looked at the Pani CT-34WX50 16X9 TV and liked what I saw. It will also fit perfectly(maybe out of my budget though @ $2700). I also looked at 32" Tau and XBR but that's about all I looked at so far. I need suggestions please. I don't have a budget right now due to a sale pending on ebay but it could be around $3000 and I would like to stay there or less. Less would be best but not if it's a huge sacrifice. How are the Toshiba, JVC, etc. HDTV's?
Thanks for the help!

David West

Auditioning
In a similar thread I suggested the new Toshiba flat screens...
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/008761.html
The 36" is too wide for your cabinet, but the 34" 16:9 set will fit. The only 36" TV that I know about that is less than 36" wide is the Hitachi 36UDX10S (and previous years' models). It does inverse 3-2 pulldown, but it is not a purely flat screen. It is well regarded by those who have bought it -- search for this model number and last year's 32UDX01S model and you will find a number of posts on this and similar forums. It only has one set of HD component inputs, though. Do you have any depth limitations with your cabinet? I had to modify mine somewhat as it is only 21" deep.
[Edited last by David West on November 07, 2001 at 08:41 PM]

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Do you see the price of HDTV's dropping anytime within the next year or 2? Maybe I should just wait considering I won't have an HDTV tuner or Progressive DVD player yet.

David West

Auditioning
Jeff,
I think that without a doubt prices of HDTV/HDTV-ready sets will drop over the next year or two. How significantly, I wouldn't guess. Here's what I think will drive prices down, though:
1. Greater demand (due to more HD content and lower progressive scan DVD player prices) will allow larger production runs and lower costs of manufacturing.
2. Japanese manufacturers have been suffering due to the poor Japanese economy, really never having come out of a recession yet. This should keep the value of the yen down and encourage greater price competition amongst Japanese CE manufacturers.
3. China. Increased global trade from China and their emerging CE industry (Konka, etc.) will mean greater price competiton in the DTV industry.
However, the question is whether the money one saves by waiting for price drops is worth the lost enjoyment of using the new technology in the meantime. I waited about a year-and-a-half until last month, when I finally pulled the trigger on a new digital set. Lower prices, a new TV model that has the spec's I was looking for, and more HD content made it worth it to me to go digital now.
Some DTV trend info from the CEA can be found here... http://www.ce.org/pdf/dtv_guide_current_issue.pdf
It lists some upcoming HDTV sets with *expected* MSRP price points, which may give you an idea of whether prices will change very much for what you are looking for.
David

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
I was thinking, would it really be worth buying now since I don't even have a progressive DVD player, Direct TV or digital cable? I only have the normal low end sony DVD and regular cable. I think I will wait, but now the question is: Should I get a bigger analog TV for my new entertainment center for now until I am ready for the DTV/HDTV updrade? My 27" in killing me. My seating area is about 12' away. Any 2.35:1 formats and I'm struggling to see text on the screen.

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
From 12' away, I don't know if 32" will help much... or even 36".
I have analog cable and was pleasantly surprised at how much better my picture was on the digital set (Hitachi 32UDX10S). I ran the digital set alongside an analog 32" set for a week to compare both cable and DVD.
I also have a progressive scan DVD player (RP91), but frankly, have seen little improvement in PQ with this TV. I think it (the TV) has a pretty good line doubler built in.. negating the need for a PS player. But I still leave PS enabled on the player.
wink.gif

I had a similar size constraint (35 1/4") which made me regret buying the armoire in the first place. But I bought it before developing HT fever, and my wife likes the option of closing the pocket doors to hide the TV when not in use.
If your analog cable is pretty good, you'll likely be happy with your PQ on the digital set.
And if you can find last year's Hitachi 36SDX01S, you should be able to get it for ~$1400 or less. Both it and the current 36" Hitachi model will fit your cabinet.
However, if money is no object, get the 34" 16:9 set (Toshiba or Panasonic) which should fit fine in your available space.
Buy a digital set from some place that gives a reasonable return window. Run it side by side with your current set. I bet you'll keep the HDTV.
wink.gif

------------------
--RR

Users who are viewing this thread