TV Guide's Top 50: Seinfeld #1?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael*K, Apr 29, 2002.

1. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

TV Guide has put together another one of their "Top 50" lists and this time they feel that Seinfeld is the greatest television show that ever aired. Gimme a break...I can't think of a half-hour of TV that put me to sleep quicker than Seinfeld. Ugh.
    Click here to see the story and a link to their top 50.

2. Matt Pasant

Matt Pasant Second Unit

I myself disagree, years after and countless reruns seen and seen again, I still laugh my arse off when I watch Seinfeld.

3. Grant B

Grant B Producer

What!

No Space Ghost Coast to Coast???

It's the Spank Ray for TV Guide

4. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

I love Seinfeld also, and won't argue too much about it being in the top spot.... but the Simpsons at #8?!? It's high, but not high enough.

5. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

I think the most interesting part is that Letterman was ranked 7, Carson 12, and Leno didn't even make the top 50.

I agree with Seinfeld at 1, although I think Cheers should have been 1b and The Simpsons 1c.

6. Mike St.Louis

Mike St.Louis Supporting Actor

Rerun after rerun, Seinfeld is ALWAYS good for a laugh.

I never tire of it.

Will it ever come out on DVD?

7. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I honestly feel Seinfeld is one of the most overrated shows on television. TVGuide certainly overrrates it in my opinion. I've enjoyed Seinfeld episodes, and even laughed occasionally... but it is hardly the end-all and be-all of television comedy.

8. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

I haven't read the article, but I suppose factors that make it number one include: #1 in ratings (for at least a few years? or just for a comedy?); consistent "watercooler" material week after week; phrases "entering the national lexicon"; the "show about nothing" idea; lots of interesting guest stars (including those that became more famous later); great core cast (that hasn't done as well by themselves lately); and last but not least, some genuinely side-splitting bits, akin to Lucy's Vitameatavegemin.

The fact that you disagree and feel it is overrated just puts you outside the middle of the bell curve as far as Seinfeld goes -- not that there's anything wrong with that.

//Ken

9. Luc D

Luc D Second Unit

Michael, if you don't feel Seinfeld is #1 then why don't you tell us what you think is the best television show of all time so we can flame you properly. [​IMG]

10. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I also wonder if this list were constructed in another 25 or 50 years, if some of the recent shows (not necessarily Seinfeld) would even make the list. The ones that do would likely not place as high looking back on them from farther in the future. Not just because there will be more shows between now and then that make the list, but because looking back they aren't as perfect as they seem to be now. While I certainly like Friends better than Seinfeld, I wonder if it would place so high on the list (or even make it) if it were 10 years out of first run. I think a lot of these programs could have made the list for weekly familiarity.

Time will tell on that matter though. We all know how subjective these lists tend to be anyway.

11. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

Bah! I hate these lists. ( because they don't agree with my obviously superior tastes [​IMG] )
    Where's Northern Exposure? Some of the shows on the list are excrement compared to N.S. (My favorite but not necessarily my pick for #1 show of all time)
    Bah Bah Bah!

12. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Actually, to me it almost is. There is not one single show that I can enjoy in syndication over and over and over again like I can enjoy "Seinfeld". Certainly no sitcom today can match it (even though "Curb your enthusiasm" comes very close, and occasionally "Becker" does too).
    I would rank "Seinfeld" #1, with "Fawlty Towers", "Cheers", "The Secret Army" and "Dallas" in the other spots in the top 5, I think... [​IMG]
    /mike

13. phil-w

phil-w Stunt Coordinator

I agree with about half of the list although not the order. I think MASH should have been higher on the list, and what is the deal with putting Star Trek TNG on the list and not Star Trek the original series?

14. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

I have to agree with John. IMO Seinfeld was/is one of the most overrated shows in TV history. Was it funny? Yes, at times. But it was also extremely... "repetitive" comes to mind. Oh well, different strokes for different folks.

15. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

16. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Simpsons should be higher.

I don't like Leno or Seinfeld. Sorry.

Where is Space Ghost? That show rocks.

Where's Conan?

I think they should have done a list of the Top 50 without actually putting them in any order. People will always disagree with rankings, so they should just name the shows that would make up the Top 50.

And OPRAH?!?!?! At least she's at 49....ugh....

17. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

Too bad mini-series weren't eligible. Roots is by far the most important, and the best program ever presented on television...end of discussion.

18. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Why do they list stuff like "Today" on there? No matter the quality of it, it's not a real show, just some news and chit-chat. That would be like listing the front page of USA Today in a list of the best books.

/Mike

19. Jason Moreland

20. Chris

Chris Lead Actor