TV geometry settings getting me angry

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Ryan Leemhuis, May 23, 2004.

1. Ryan Leemhuis

Ryan Leemhuis Second Unit

I have a basic question about setting the geometry of a CRT TV. I have a 24" Toshiba flat screen and I have entered the service menu to set it up better. However, the settings for the optimum image size appears different for DVD, TV, and any other inputs. Is this strue with all televisions or is there something I can do to fix this rather than increasing the screen size so that DVD's are clipped off on the sides but everyhting else is perfect

2. Chad B

Chad B Stunt Coordinator

Usually this is not the case. If the TV is an HD model, it will often have seperate geometry settings for HD as opposed to everything else. If it is a standard def model, it will only have one set of geometry settings. That is usually all that is needed. I've never seen a TV that needed seperate geometry settings for interlaced DVD, standard def TV, or other video inputs.
    Are you using a test DVD to set your geometry? If so, try to adjust your overscan for 4 or 5% on all sides.

3. Johnny_M

Johnny_M Second Unit

My tv (samsung), has 1 geometry adjustment, however, it also has an Offset adjust for each type of input, 480p, 1080i, etc. Mine were all different, so I simply set all the Offsets to 0 and that seems to keep the settings the same no matter what. This worked for me, but I am no expert by any means. I am however the smartest guy in the world!

Johnny

4. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

There may be slight variations in the way the picture material (waveform) is spread out over the time allotted in the scan line. This causes the picture to be slightly wider or slightly narrower from one DVD player to another or one TV station to another.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm