What's new

TV for Standard Cable Signal (1 Viewer)

neilPariag

Auditioning
I have been reading here for days, my room size is 12 X 12, I wanted to get one of the following:

LCD
Samsung LNR328W
Sony KLVS32A10
Panasonic 32LX50

RP
Sony KDFE42A10
Samsung HLR4266W
Hitachi 42V710

But I will be using standard analog cable signal, am I better off with a CRT TV? The only one that seems close to being a bit thin is the Samsung Thinfit, but saw complains of distortion at the bottom?

Thanks,
Neil

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
IMO your approach is off. Why get a widescreen HD set for watching analog cable? (I didn't look up the model numbers but the screen sizes looked to be 16:9 aspect ratio.)

These sets are great for HD programming, gaming and progressive scan dvd watching. If you want a tv to watch analog cable, get a 4:3 SD set. They're at practically diposable prices now.

If you want a 16:9 HD set "for the future" don't get one based on how it performs with analog cable only. Yes, it can be a consideration if you still watch a lot of SD programming, but it shouldn't be the main consideration.

There is a ton of programming and viewing to be done aside from SD broadcast. DVDs look great on progressive scan players as cheap as $60. HD cable and satellite is pretty reasonable. If you live close to the towers, you can get great HD programming over the air with an antenna if you have a built in ATSC (HD) tuner or set top box tuner. You can even buy dvds of your favorite tv shows and watch them in widescreen progressive scan with much better picture quality than analog broadcast.

Don't mean to rain on your parade. But it makes no sense to pick an HDTV so that you can watch SDTV. It's like going to KFC and ordering a hamburger.

neilPariag

Auditioning
Charlie:

Thanks for your reply, actually I decide now I will go the HDTV route with cable.

How are my choices now? any pros or cons on the following LCD TVs?

Samsung LNR328W
Sony KLVS32A10
Panasonic 32LX50

Thanks,
Neil

Westly T

Second Unit
I have the Sony KLVS32A10, got it at Costco for the excellent return policy ($1687). It's not as good as the Sony XBR 32", but it is close and a lot cheaper. they have speakers on the bottom and will better fit in cabinets made for 4:3 TV's. The XBR's have the cable card HD tuner system so you don't have to rent a cable box from the cable company, but for me, I NEED a DVR so I'm gonna have a box anyway. I thought the Sony did the best job with the non-digital signals. I also feel the colors were more accurate on the Sony then the Panasonic. The Samsung is also nice, but I don't like it as much as the Sony, especially on SD content. I don't really like the cosmetics on the Samsung.

Westly T

Second Unit
Pretty much you can return it any time if you are not happy, so long as you are still a member. I know someone who returned their RPTV 5 years after he bought it for a full refund in cash. I doubt they can do this forever or is abused, but I think if mine has a failure they will take it back no questions. I did return my Dish HD PVR after 11 months due to continual bugs and issues. The gave me a full refund no questions.

neilPariag

Auditioning
Thanks Westly ...

I will be viewing analog cable, and because of space need a flat TV, I heard the Panasonic TH-42PD50U is good for this, any inputs?

Neil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks