TV experts, Please advise me...

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Paul_Geld, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Paul_Geld

Paul_Geld Auditioning

OK, in about 2 or 3 months I plan to buy a new TV. My budget is about $3000. I want at least 40+ inches, hidef, and widescreen. The uses will mainly be regular broadcast TV, videogames and DVD movies. In general we don't really play videogames that much, maybe 3 or 4 times a week for 2 or 3 hours per session, so I don't know if burn-in would be a real concern in my case. For TV and movies, my family watches maybe 2 - 3 hours per day average. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

I'm confused as hell with all the options out there, and would truly appreciate recommendations on specific brands and models to buy for my situation.

Thanks!

2. Chad B

Chad B Stunt Coordinator

I am really impressed with the Sony KPD57WS550. Out of the box, it looks well above average. Skin tones are a little reddish, but most TV's are like that. A thorough calibration made this probably one of the very best TV's I've seen. I don't know the price on it.
    To lessen the risk of burn in from video games, turn the picture control down to about a third, or find the picture preset that has the picture control lowest.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

My two current top choices for about $2100 are the Hitachi T500 series and the Sony KP-57WS510. These are BIG sets, but RPTV are the best bang-for-your-buck.

Check out The Perfect Vision Nov/Dec 2003 issue and Home Theater Magazine ... January. Both of these magazines put 5-6 televisions together and did side-by-side comparisons. $2100 televisions went up against $6000 units in the mix.

4. Paul_Geld

Paul_Geld Auditioning

So rear projection is OK to play games on? Cool. I thought I'd have to choose something more expensive if I intended to use some videogames with it (XBox etc.).

I'll check out those magazines, and I'm looking up the models you both recommended right now. Thanks.

5. Paul_Geld

Paul_Geld Auditioning

How about this TV: KV-40XBR800

It's a 40" "direct view" whatever that means, but it looks like it's a standard CRT, so it shouldn't have any problems at all with videogames right?

Or would the rear projections you guys listed by just as good overall?

6. Danny Beck

Danny Beck Stunt Coordinator

I would personally recommend the 40" XBR over a projection tv. Unless you want the biggest tv possible, then I would go with a projection.

Of course if you could get yourself to spend a little over $2000 you could get a Sony Grand Wega LCD Projection. The 42" model retails for $2800 but can be talked down to less than $2500 easily. This is a nice sized tv and you have NO worries of burn-in when playing videogames. I think it's probably the best "gamers tv" out there.

dan