TV DVI Input not Compatible w/ Computer DVI??

Discussion in 'Computers' started by DannH, Jun 17, 2004.

1. DannH

DannH Auditioning

I recently purchased a Samsung HCN4226W.. a nice 42" widescreen HDTV.. it doesn't support 720p, but I figured for the price (900$) it was worth it for now, plus it fits in our apartment without really taking over the entire place (which makes the girlfriend happy)

One of the selling features for me on this set was the fact that is has DVI input.. However, once I got the set home and started paging through the manual, I noticed on the DVI page that there was a notice that said:

"The dvi input jack is not compatible with the picture signal of a personal computer"

Now, I was wondering if this was just because Samsung did not want to deal with the customer support of having people call in to set up a computer with the TV, or if there is a way it could actually not support a computer input..

I've searched around for information on this, but couldn't find anything. I figured that with a nice Radeon 9000+ series card, a DVI cable, Powerstrip and several hours ( [​IMG] ) of work tweaking the output, I could set up my HTPC (which runs S-Video out right now) to a high-quality, all-digital connection.

Please let me know if I'm right, or if I'm going to be horribly disappointed in this TV's ability to deal w/ DVI (I know I can get a component dongle, but I would love to just have the connection be straight DVI)...

Thanks [​IMG]

2. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    That is odd. It really might just be the support angle, so just connect it and see whether it works or not. I am not aware of any technical issue that your TV would flat out refuse to work with ANY signal from a computer's DVI output.

-Christian

3. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I looked into doing just that a while back, and decided against it. I don't remember everything that I read, but the socket on your TV is NOT the same as the one on your video card. There are apparently 3 different configerations of them, and you can mix, but you might not like the results.

Maybe times have changed, though. I'd go looking for the correct cable to get. The sockets are slightly different on one end. (When I was doing that, I found a page that discouraged me against doing it). If you do find something favorable, please let me know!

Glenn

4. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

The warning is there to prevent consumers from causing "burn-in" that could happen if a windows desktop was consistantly displayed on it for long periods of time. Just like with the little station logos. You can have analog or digital DVI or a mix. The difference in pin orientation is that analog will have four pins around the "blade", digital doesn't. You most likely have a digital only, but even if it's analog capable, you'll want to use digital. You can buy a DVI-D(digital only) cable and it'll work with any DVI port. Then you have single and dual-link. Get dual-link, as it's supports the higher(est) resolutions.

Check this out:

http://www.pacificcable.com/DVI_Tutorial.htm

5. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

The warning is there to prevent consumers from causing "burn-in" that could happen if a windows desktop was consistantly displayed on it for long periods of time. Just like with the little station logos. You can have analog or digital DVI or a mix. The difference in pin orientation is that analog will have four pins around the "blade", digital doesn't. You most likely have a digital only, but even if it's analog capable, you'll want to use digital. You can buy a DVI-D(digital only) cable and it'll work with any DVI port. Then you have single and dual-link. Get dual-link, as it's supports the higher(est) resolutions.

Check this out:

http://www.pacificcable.com/DVI_Tutorial.htm