TV Dvds

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean_J, Apr 23, 2002.

1. Sean_J

Sean_J Agent

Hello,

I was am hoping the Critic, The Simpsons which is actually out - BUT TAKES FOR EVER TO HAVE SEASON RELEASED, News Radio, Tom Green, Andy Dick, Big Brother.

I would brather see whole TV Seasons on dvd rather than edited best of stuff.

I want your opinion.

2. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Hi Sean,
    I think you'll find that everyone here agrees with you that full-season sets are the way to go when it comes to releasing TV shows on DVD. Looks like the studios are beginning to catch on with the release of season box sets for "The Simpsons," "Buffy the Vampire Slayer," "Star Trek the Next Generation," "Friends," "M*A*S*H," "Twin Peaks," All in the Family," "Queer as Folk," "Sex in the City," "The Sopranos," "OZ," "The Larry Sanders Show" and "The X-Files."
    As far as timing, sometimes it is pure demand. If the studios think a show will sell on DVD, you can be sure they'll put it out eventually. Other times it's dependent upon the syndication cycle. The more popular shows often go though the cycle of network -> repeats -> syndication -> cable syndication before they eventually find their way onto DVD. This is one reason why we're just now getting sets of "The Simpsons," "Friends," and "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" even though they've been on the air for many years.
    Search the Forum for several other threads about TV on DVD including thoughts on which shows are most wanted, reviews, and rumored releases. You can also visit TV Shows on DVD for lots of info about TV on DVD. Our resident expert in this area, David Lambert, may be able to offer more input than I.
    Cheers [​IMG]

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

The impression I've gotten, at least from Paramount is that even the Survivor best-ofs of "reality" shows didn't sell well, so forget it for Big Brother.

Columbia is just getting started on TV, I expect to see Married: WIth Children and The Critic soon enough. Tom Green and Andy Dick, see Reality shows.

4. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Malcolm: Thank you, but Gord Lacey, who runs the http://www.tvshowsondvd.com
    Sean: As you say, The Simpsons is already out for Season 1. Noone, and certainly not me or Gord, know exactly what's slowing down the subsequent season releases. I'm waiting with baited breathe for these.
    As for Tom Greene, there are several releases out from both his shows (click on pictures for details):
    http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/releaseinfo.cfm?ReleaseID=308 http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/releaseinfo.cfm?ReleaseID=307 http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/releaseinfo.cfm?ReleaseID=306
    To the others, there are sadly no releases known yet. But, hey! Swing by the site and vote for them. Your voice may yet be heard by each studio involved, and it doesn't hurt and certainly doesn't cost you anything.
    There are TONS of TV shows out there that are cool, and it will be a looooong time before they all get released. But informing the studios which ones you want the most will help them sort out their priorities, right?
    In the meantime, here's a link to an encouraging article, posted in today's NY Daily News. Gord is quoted in there, as is another HTF member: Fox VP Peter Staddon.
    {click on this link to the article}

5. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    From the NYDN article linked in Dave's post above:
    Probably because they were "best-of" sets. See Kate Winn's comment, above. [​IMG]

6. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

Just to correct some information in Dave's post...
    He's not a monkey-boy, and if he is, he's not my monkey-boy [​IMG]
    I also just did an interview with USA Today (it'll be out next week - Tuesday). It should be great because we concentrated on the "what makes a season set good and 'best of' bad?" I loved it! I mentioned the "South Park" fiasco, how fans want SEASON SETS and how I was going to buy the first 6 discs and then didn't once I realized I couldn't get the entire show because Warner started with the "best of" discs.
    Anyway, it should be good so keep your eyes peeled next week.
    Gord

7. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor
    From the article David linked:

8. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Look for an article in USA TODAY next
    Tuesday. Gord and I will be quoted in there.

9. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

Wow, not only do I get to be quoted in a USA Today article, I share the honor with Ron!

Gord

10. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    I would love to see Sliders and Quantum Leap
    on DVD. Plus the standard Seinfeld
    I'm also glad they recently announced Are You Being Served?

11. David Lambert

So...did you go to Gord's site and vote for those shows? [​IMG]
    PS - you DID know that the QL pilot has been out on DVD, didn't you? It's now OOP, but I still see some at Borders now and then.

12. Spero D

Spero D Second Unit

13. David Lambert

As I just said elsewhere: Don't jump the gun yet. The information is from distributer WB, not from producer BBC, and is *very* preliminary. I hope that the e-mail sent to BBCAmerica by an HTF member, described in this post, turns up more positive results.

14. JenaroM

JenaroM Stunt Coordinator

I would like to see "Everybody Loves Raymond", at least on a "best of" release.

15. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I'm very pleased to see the A&E quote. I wish they'd go ahead with Northern Exposure (though perhaps in less unweildy packaging than Avengers or Prisoner or Monty).

Maybe A&E could explain this concept to WB or others?

16. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

I want Homcide , Seinfeld , and Rocko's Modern Life in season sets and I want them now, damnit!

17. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

I would love to have season sets of The Practice!

18. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    I want the West Wing in season box sets!
    oh, hang on, they're available (albeit at half-season per box) in UK R2, the first half of season one is already out [​IMG]

19. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Screenwriter

Obviously I want Seinfeld big time and I would also like The Cosby Show in season box sets, Tour Of Duty, and China Beach.
    I also want Friends and The Simpsons ALL episodes out on Region 1 today!

20. Henry Colonna

Henry Colonna Stunt Coordinator

What is absolutely breaking my heart right now in the world of TV DVDs is the stalled nature of La Femme Nikita on DVD. This show is a truly fantastic show that was poorly marketed and did not find as good and proper audience as it could have. It was truly ahead of its time, looking past 9/11. I'm so disappointed that this show is stalled after Columbia House changed their minds. I'm really hoping that someone with enough money and foresite will break through the logjam.

Or that someone with enough intelligence will buy the whole property and begin filming new shows (though it would be quite a different show if this were to happen.)