What's new

TV DVDs unavailable in Region 1 (1 Viewer)

Xphile620

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Blaker
I just bought my region-free Blu-Ray player and am looking at what TV series saw Region 2 releases but not a R1 release... I've been scouring for a more updated list , but haven't been able to find a good list. I plan on buying some seasons of Chicago Hope from the UK Amazon site, but wanted to know what other shows I could find in R2 that are not available in R1 format. What are some releases you know of?

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I just bought my region-free Blu-Ray player and am looking at what TV series saw Region 2 releases but not a R1 release... I've been scouring for a more updated list , but haven't been able to find a good list. I plan on buying some seasons of Chicago Hope from the UK Amazon site, but wanted to know what other shows I could find in R2 that are not available in R1 format. What are some releases you know of?

For one thing, I think the remaining seasons of L.A. Law are on DVD in R2; all we got here in R1 is the first three seasons (1986-89).

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Quite a few British series have never seen R1 releases or only received partial R1 releases. Off the top of my head there are these:

The Brittas Empire
Dad's Army
(R1 got a "best of" teaser release)
Man About the House
(only 2 series in R1 - all 6 in R2)
Butterflies (only 2 in R1 - all 4 in R2)
It Ain't Half Hot Mum
The Royle Family
(only 2 in R2 - all 3 plus specials in R2)
Steptoe and Son
The Champions
(1 in R1 - entire series in R2)

Plus many British series that *have* seen R1 releases are far less expensive in R2.

Last edited:

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
The Alfred Hitchcock Hour - all three individual seasons and the complete series are available in R2 but not in R1
Alfred Hitch Presents - all seven individual seasons and the complete series are available in R2 but only seasons 1 through 6 are available in R1 and season 6 was a MOD release.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Not sure if you are interested in a b+w series of this "vintage", Andrew, but the reason I finally went region free to have on R2 dvd from Fabulous Films and available from Amazon UK...

Alfred Hitchcock Presents seasons 1 - 7. (Universal gave us problematic R1 dvd-18 flippers of season 1, season 2 -5 properly but at a glacial pace, and season 6 on dvd-R...and thus far, no final season 7 of the 30 minute series).

Alfred Hitchcock Hour seasons 1 - 3. (no R1 thus far).

Sorry for the duplicate posts which I tried to remove but couldn't...I didn't see Sean/Darby's post in time.

Last edited:

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
IIRCC - Tour of Duty is available in both Region 1 and Region 2 DVD, but the original soundtrack is only available in Region 2, if that is important to you.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
While all three SOME MOTHERS DO 'AVE 'EM series (All 22 Episodes, including the 3 extended length Christmas Specials), starring the indomitable Michael Crawford (Yes, the one that starred in a certain Andrew Lloyd Webber "Phantom Of The Opera" Broadway adaptation!), have been released in its native UK on PAL Region 2 DVDs, to date Region 1 has only seen VHS and DVD "Best Of" issuings.

Sadly, due to overzealous political correctness, one excised bit (Less than 2 minutes) from the Series 3 episode "Moving House" now appears to only exist in audio form. At least, that's all I could find online! The above series is otherwise complete. so far as I know!

EDIT: I just found that there was a special sketch for Sports Relief that aired March 18. 2016!:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Some_Mothers_Do_'Ave_'Em#2016_Sport_Relief_sketch

CHEERS! :)

Last edited:

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
This is my very first post here on hometheaterforum. I've enjoyed lurking here for many many years. I feel as if I know many of you. I decided rather than begin a brand new thread for this topic I'd bump this one. Like most of you there isn't much to buy anymore in regards to classic tv on dvd. My Yamaha BluRay player stopped working a couple weeks ago and for obvious reasons I opted to purchase an LG region-free player from 220electronics just last week.

I have read the most recent threads about 'Dial 999' by Neil Brock and 'Stagecoach West' by Flashgear being released in the UK Region 2. I am looking forward to purchasing both of these and some of the others mentioned in this very thread. I thought it might be a good idea to continue announcing Classic TV on DVD or BluRay other region releases here in this thread.

Are there any other releases not mentioned here previously since 2016? Are there any websites that specialize in selling other region US classic tv series? Any other threads I have missed? Specifically I'm referring to series from the 1950's, the 1960's and the 1970's.

Thanks to all who reply!

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
This is my very first post here on hometheaterforum. I've enjoyed lurking here for many many years. I feel as if I know many of you.
Neal, welcome to HTF!

I'm not sure, but I think the original poster of this thread intended it to list vintage American TV series that for some Godawful reason, have only received an overseas region 2 or 4 DVD release...in addition to those already listed, I can mention the Irwin Allen SF series Land of the Giants in R2, The Fantastic Journey (1977-78 SF short-run series) released by Madman/Via Vision in Australia but region-free in playability...both of those can be ordered directly off of Amazon...Elephant Films in France has released the mid-sixties Western series The Iron Horse and the Matt Helm Anthony Franciosa short-run series in R2, and a couple others that I can't remember off the top of my head...Elephant is an Amazon Marketplace dealer, I've been thinking of ordering some of their stuff too...original English audio on these, although R2 locked...another American-Brit co-production is the ITC-Plautus (Reginald Rose) single season series from 1963, Espionage...available on Amazon UK...

For the upcoming Dial 999 (apparently originally an ITV-ZIV co-production, so at least partly American), it's best to order directly from Network...for the recently released (and an excellent quality DVD set of a superb Western series as you have seen from my thread) Stagecoach West, I got mine directly from Renown, who's customer service is great...other members have also posted that they got their Stagecoach West set in a week to ten days...

Last edited:

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Neal, welcome to HTF!

I'm not sure, but I think the original poster of this thread intended it to list vintage American TV series that for some Godawful reason, have only received an overseas region 2 or 4 DVD release...in addition to those already listed, I can mention the Irwin Allen SF series Land of the Giants in R2, The Fantastic Journey (1977-78 SF short-run series) released by Madman/Via Vision in Australia but region-free in playability...both of those can be ordered directly off of Amazon...Elephant Films in France has released the mid-sixties Western series The Iron Horse and the Matt Helm Anthony Franciosa short-run series in R2, and a couple others that I can't remember off the top of my head...Elephant is an Amazon Marketplace dealer, I've been thinking of ordering some of their stuff too...original English audio on these, although R2 locked...another American-Brit co-production is the ITC-Plautus (Reginald Rose) single season series from 1963, Espionage...available on Amazon UK...

For the upcoming Dial 999 (apparently originally an ITV-ZIV co-production, so at least partly American), it's best to order directly from Network...for the recently released (and an excellent quality DVD set of a superb Western series as you have seen from my thread) Stagecoach West, I got mine directly from Renown, who's customer service is great...other members have also posted that they got their Stagecoach West set in a week to ten days...
Thank you for the warm greeting Randall and for the additional titles I did not know about. I will check out Elephant on Amazon. I will definitely look into purchasing Iron Horse which I enjoyed very much when it ran on AntennaTV years ago. Matt Helm (1975-1976) sounds interesting too. Never knew it existed until now. Where have I been?

I hope more and more members will keep this thread alive. I believe you mentioned if these other region releases sell well it might lead to even more!

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
This is my very first post here on hometheaterforum. I've enjoyed lurking here for many many years. I feel as if I know many of you. I decided rather than begin a brand new thread for this topic I'd bump this one. Like most of you there isn't much to buy anymore in regards to classic tv on dvd. My Yamaha BluRay player stopped working a couple weeks ago and for obvious reasons I opted to purchase an LG region-free player from 220electronics just last week.

I have read the most recent threads about 'Dial 999' by Neil Brock and 'Stagecoach West' by Flashgear being released in the UK Region 2. I am looking forward to purchasing both of these and some of the others mentioned in this very thread. I thought it might be a good idea to continue announcing Classic TV on DVD or BluRay other region releases here in this thread.

Are there any other releases not mentioned here previously since 2016? Are there any websites that specialize in selling other region US classic tv series? Any other threads I have missed? Specifically I'm referring to series from the 1950's, the 1960's and the 1970's.

Thanks to all who reply!

Yes, nice first post, Neal...welcome! Good to hear from another lover of classic TV from the '50s through the '70s. I believe the two other series released by Elephant Films in France that Randall was referencing (in addition to Matt Helm and The Iron Horse) are The Quest (with Kurt Russell and Tim Matheson) and The Outcasts (with Don Murray and Otis Young). Please note, however, that neither are cheap (the complete The Outcasts will run you about 50 Euros at the moment).

71Kksf3v%2B8L._AC_SY445_.jpg

61bzN7zvlDL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_ML2_.jpg

As Randall also mentioned, Network in the UK (networkonair.com) is a great place to snag many a gem, both little-seen and more famous. They predominantly release British programs, but some of them are shows that had a brief run in the States, including many great ITC series, such as Strange Report, Gideon's Way (known as Gideon C.I.D. when it aired in the U.S.), and the aforementioned The Champions. They have also put out stunning (if bare-bones, in most cases) Blu-Ray releases of ITC shows like Randall & Hopkirk: Deceased (My Partner the Ghost in the U.S.), Department S, The Zoo Gang and Man in a Suitcase, among others (including several Gerry Anderson shows). Highly recommend both their products and service.

Last edited:

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Last Nov./Dec. I purchased Network's releases of From a Bird's Eye View (16 episodes) and Shirley's World (17 episodes) starring Shirley MacLaine. It seems they're out of print, but there are 3rd party sellers and mine were fine.

These shows were filmed in Britain, but produced by Sheldon Leonard and aired in the U.S. -- I know that From a Bird's Eye View was aired as a mid-season replacement in 1969 and aired on NBC right before Laugh-In on Monday nights. I remember watching it then and it holds up quite well. It is quite amusing. (I'm not sure, but I seem to recall it having a laugh track in the U.S., though I could be wrong. It does not on the DVD's.) I had never seen Shirley's World before, which was on ABC, starting in the fall of 1971. I'm a fan of Shirley MacLaine, and I like watching this because of that, but it's not really much of a show.
____

I should add that a company in Germany is now in the process of releasing three separate Volumes of 77 Sunset Strip -- BUT it seems there is no English language soundtrack option.

Last edited:

HubbaBubbaKid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Frankie
Madman / Via Vision released William Castle’s Ghost Story / Circle of Fear on blu ray earlier this year . Via Vision‘s set is R2 locked but i don’t know about Madman’s . I got the Via Vision set and the transfers look great . There is a CBS Mod set thats OOP but its going for about the same(or more) as the blu ray .

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Wow! Thank you Jeff, Neil, Martin and Frankie! I better start saving up my shekels. At first I thought am I wasting my money buying a region-free player as there's probably just a small list of things available? Now you guys have convinced me I was wrong.

I'm usually very good when it comes to searching for things on the internet, but I'm having a hard time locating some of these classic "other region" releases. For example Elephant on Amazon. I called Amazon and was told there is no way to search by seller. Plus nothing came up searching The Iron Horse or Matt Helm either.

Would it be possible if you guys could add a link along with the shows you've mentioned? Aside from networkonair.com I'm coming up empty.

I've also been searching for Fury as I read years ago it was released in it's entirety (116 episodes) in Germany in English. I see it on Amazon but it isn't the entire series and I already bought Fury - The Tribute Collection - 23 Episodes. What can I say, I'm sucker for these old corny tv shows and I've always liked Peter Graves.

Jeff, wasn't The Quest and The Outcasts aired on GetTV over the past few years? Neal, do you have any links for Mr. Terrific, The Rogues and Tammy? Martin, where can I find the 3rd party sellers offering From a Bird's Eye View and Shirley's World? Oh and thanks for the 77 Sunset Strip tease. Not planning on learning to speak German:)

One last question. Can any of you report on the picture and sound quality of the series you've mentioned? Are some remastered? Are they good quality though not remastered? ShoutFactory Peyton Place quality?:)

Thanks again to you all!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks