What's new

TV DVD Buyers: A Different Breed (1 Viewer)

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
From imdb.com today:

TV DVD Buyers: A Different Breed

The sudden explosion in sales of DVD collections of television shows has brought about a study of TV DVD buyers. The study by Home Media Research and VideoScan indicates that they are typically women who shop at mass merchants and are more affluent, younger, and have a bigger library of DVDs than average DVD buyers. The TV DVD buyer usually buys 25.4 DVDs per year, compared to 17.8 by the average DVD buyer. Of the 25.4 DVDs, four were TV DVDs. The average collection of a TV DVD consumer was 100.3 discs versus 71.9 discs for other DVD buyers.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps it's all those Barney and Wiggles DVD's that the rugrats are always bugging their moms to buy them when they're at Wal-Mart :D

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
So I guess I'm not "the typical" tv dvd shopper, in that I am not a younger affluent woman who buys about 4 tv dvds a year. What a stupid survey. TV dvd buyers, I think, -just by LOOKING at the people BUYING things in REAL SHOPS-- tend to be between the ages of 25-50, middle class or above, equally male or female, (sometimes couples shop for their favorite titles together), and they probably buy a good 10-15 SETS a year, not FOUR DISKS or whatever that stupid survey said.

So listen, Reuters, or IMDB, or the Rand Corporation, or Stanford University, or whoever ran this imbecilic quiz, next time you want to run a survey, employ the fine services of Richard Dawson, then maybe the results will reflect reality.

THE SURVEY SAID----!!!

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Since it stated: Of the 25.4 DVDs, four were TV DVDs. I would assume those 4 DVD's are an average. Unless you can show me how to buy 25.4 DVD's :D

In other words, if the average consumer bought 254 DVD's a year, 40 of them would be TV DVD's. Sounds more relatable to us here ;)

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I know, but the survey's kind of irrelevant. Because when you're talking TV dvds, you're generally talking about boxed sets which have anywhere between 2 and 10 dvds in each. So where they asking these typical housewives how many boxed sets they bought? Or how many actual, physical dvds they bought, individually within each set?

I don't get it; it's kind of a moot survey.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

Ditto :D I also buy many more than 4 a year and almost all purchases are from online stores.

As long as the TV/DVD sector keeps growing, "let 'em take all the surveys they want" :D

Sean.S

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a 20 year old male here, and 75% of the DVDs I buy are TV DVDs. The last movie I bought on DVD was...at least...two months ago. Since then, I've bought over 10 TV-on-DVD releases. It's just so more appealing to me to have a bunch of episodes from a favorite show than one movie. That's not to say I don't collect movies--but just my favorites--because I have about 60 movie DVDs. But, I have over 100 TV DVDs and more to come, for sure! Because, looking at the upcoming releases for the next 6 months--I have 4 movies and about 40 TV releases that I want.

Dan*T

Supporting Actor
32 yrs old male..married..stuck in the past.
The only DVD's I buy are TV. Mostly classic shows from the '70's & '80's.
Unless it's a really good movie, then I MIGHT buy it.
As long as they keep releasing my favorite shows, I'll keep on buyin' them!!

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Well, as long as we're giving out ages....the big 5-0 here and "stuck in the past" as well (well-put, DanT :D) Maybe one reason we're stuck in the past is that the present (TV series) just isn't the same caliber as the series in past decades. There probably are exceptions but I'm
"lost in the swirling maze" of the past (anyone guess where I borrowed that one from? Hint: This series DVD's are due out in Jan :D )

I ususlly buy only 1-2 movie DVD's per year...just bought the Star Wars III to complete the set, but by far my DVD buys are TV/DVD's for the same reason as "Sean.s". I don't watch any current TV series (none, really, since '96 or so). I'm just glad that there's an apparent market for the older "classic" series. "We 'Boomers ain't gone yet" :D

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

Gord, Dave, is that really the case? I'd have thought that this part of the DVD market was larger than a blip. At least, I'd hoped it was...

Bonnie*F

Stunt Coordinator

This is just too funny...
Let's see...I'm female, do shop at mass merchants (I'm a browser which is kinda difficult to do when making an on-line order - or at least, I haven't figured out how to do it:D ) Younger? got a couple of years before I can match Jim Willis but getting there. :b Affluent? I wouldn't say so. No kids so the animated stuff is for the big kid (me!)
So far this year I've bought 209 DVD's of which 42 are TV shows - not including TV specials and another 7 before the end of the year.

I have purchased more DVD's this year than the previous four years together. Part of it is due to being more aware of what is coming out and when - thank you HFT and TVShowsonDVD.com - so I have been able to focus on keeping out with releases as opposed to wandering through the store and spotting something I want.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

Jim's a great name but mine's "Jeff" :D Thanks anyway :D Liked your post. I'd have to count what I've bought so far in '05 but it's not 209! Impressive. I have 77 TV series sets, including a few miniseries sets. I have 137 DVD movies. The only reason that I have more DVD movies than TV DVD's at present is that, 1) TV/DVD's are relatively new to DVD, and 2) I'm mainly a "classic" TV/DVD collector of 60's thru mid-90's series. I'm sure happy that the studios are listening to someone out here and are continuing to release the older series. Some of the ones announced for '06 are surprises to me and include several that have been on my "list" for a few years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks