What's new

TV DVD boxsets on sale at Walmart this week (Canada) (1 Viewer)

cherisland

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd
This week at Walmart (Canada):

There are great prices on these TV on DVD sets!!

Smallville - seasons 1, 6, 7 & 8 - $18.83
Gossip Girl - seasons 1 & 2 - $18.83
Big Bang Theory - seasons 1 & 2 - $18.83
One Tree Hill - seasons 4, 5 & 6 - $18.83
Fringe - $18.83
Rescue Me - season 3 - $18.88
My Name Is Earl - season 1 - $18.88
Gilmore Girls - seasons 2, 3 - $18.88
The OC - seasons 2, 3, 4 - $18.83
Prison Break - season 1 - $18.88
Sex In The City - seasons 1,2,3,4, & 5 - $18.88
Charmed - season 1 - $18.88
Two & A Half Men - season 1, 5 & 6 - $18.88
Third Watch - seasons 1 & 2 -$17.83
Chuck - seasons 1 & 2 - $18.83
Mentalist -season 1 - $18.83
Supernatural - season 3, 4 - $18.83

Married With Children - seasons 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 - $13.88 or $14.83
Dawson's Creek - seasons 3, 4 - $13.88

Dallas - Seasons 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11 & 12 - $12.83

Stephen Wight

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen
I've seen alot of those titles at my local Walmarts. With the exception of Married With Children and Dallas,they're all very recent shows. Would it kill Walmart(and the studios) to have sales on shows that are older and initially didn't sell all that well? The idea being that people who didn't buy show X when it was first released at $40 would buy it at $12 - 18,thus giving a spike in sales.Perhaps the studios like having lots of copies of older shows sitting in their warehouses,or they're trying their damnest to adhere to the notion that older shows don't sell as well. Gee,I wonder why.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Perhaps the studios like having lots of copies of older shows sitting in their warehouses
What makes you think they have copies "sitting in their warehouse"? Normal procedure suggests that they cleared out those warehouses years ago by either dumping the contents at fire sale prices or simply throwing the stuff away. It is precisely because they don't want to end up with stacks of unsellable discs on their hands that they stopped producing the shows that didn't sell, and why they aren't there to feed the bargain bins today.

or they're trying their damnest to adhere to the notion that older shows don't sell as well.

I don't even understand what this is supposed to mean. The studios are in the business of making money by selling product. They are not in the business of defending or promoting "notions" or "theories" because notions and theories don't pay the bills. If there were millions of people lined up to buy The Life of Riley or The Bob Cummings Show on DVD, you may depend on it, whichever studio owns the shows would be cranking the discs out 24/7. The fact is that many old shows don't sell very well. When even shows that formerly did sell (like Married with Children) have seen sales drop to the point where they end up in the bargain bin, where do you think the shows that sold even worse end up? That's right, the garbage bin. Because it isn't worth the cost of shipping them to Walmart given the expected return.

Your post seems to suggest that the idea that older shows don't sell as well is fiction. It isn't. The studios, unlike some us TV and film fans, are constrained by reality. Any given DVD or BD disc will sell more copies during its initial release than during later weeks and months. Newer films and TV shows tend to sell better than older ones because of population trends and demographics. A lot of younger people won't even watch a black and white film and have never heard of many of the shows that you and I want most to see on DVD because they were made a decade or more before they were even born. And there are more of them than there are of the ret of us. That's just what we have to deal with and ascribing the situation to some deep studio conspiracy or erroneous belief (on the part of people who spend millions on market research) is just self-deluding.

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks