TV Dilemma

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ron_L, Nov 27, 2002.

1. Ron_L

Ron_L Second Unit

hey guys, I just thought I'd ask you opinion on this...my friend recently upgraded to a 67" Toshiba TV and is wanting to sell off his old projection tv. It's a Pioneer unit about 50 - 52" display and had projection parts inside replaced about a year ago. He's asking $750 ( canadian funds that is be roughly $480 american ). The thing is that it's around 7-8 years old.

Is this a good buy?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

No used television is a good buy.

Though some people have had good luck buying refurbished front projectors, I'd stay away from any used monitor, especially an RPTV.

3. Ron_L

Ron_L Second Unit

thought so..thanks for the reply.

4. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Yeah, I'd agree.

If you could knock the price down considerably and are in no way in the market for a new projection set, you might get some fun out of it. I don't know what he's had replaced, but that set's near the end of its life cycle, and the new digital sets are a helluva lot better. Maybe as a "fun" set for playing games, the used set might have some function if you could get the price down, but otherwise, I'd pass.

Jan

5. Ron_L

Ron_L Second Unit

yeah I know the new sets are awesome...the set that replaced it is absolutely incredible.