TV died, need HDTV recommendation, have 3 year old....

Discussion in 'Displays' started by crose, May 8, 2004.

1. crose

crose Auditioning

Hi,

Something I have been wanting and dreading at the same time happened today. 10 year old Sony just turned off and won't come back on. it is a KV27v10 or something like that.

So we need a new TV (unless we decide to get it fixed) Wife said something "on the wall would be nice" Hmmmm

While I would want a Plasma and really think I want at least 720P, the reality is that we (3 year old) watches thinks like Cailou and Dora. Not exactly good for the longevity of a plasma.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Are there any good prices yet on a 37" LCD?? We really have not gone out yet looking but we do know we want a 16x9 for those rare moments when we get to watch a movie. Really don't want to pay more then 3K Much less would be better.

A 42 would be about a big as we would want to go, I am thinking that a 34 in tube may be the best bet for now, even though they are huge.

Any recommendations or opinions would be appreciated.

Chris

2. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

If you're just worried about your three year old watching 4:3 stuff burning in your plasma, just make sure to mix it up with widescreen and calibrate the thing with Avia or DVE properly (out of torch mode), and you shouldn't have a problem. They aren't really as prone to burn in as the salepeople and many around here think - do some reading on AVSforum's plasma FAQ @
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=167397

Be careful with it during the first couple hundred hours (it is more susceptible to burn in when brand new - it's like a car, it needs a little break in). You should be nice to it at first. No leaving it on a 4:3 image while you're cleaning house or something. It's like a 4-yr old, it needs to be treated with care until it gets older [​IMG]

Of the few that have gotten burn-in, it seems that most of the time it was
    Uncalibrated (torch mode - brightness and contrast high out of the box)
    &
    Displaying normal 4:3 TV > 80% of time time, unstretched, with black (not gray) bars
    &
    In its first couple hundred hours of operation

You could always turn on stretch mode for your three year old - it's not like she will notice, probably, right?

If you watch mostly 4:3 (standard TV) than you shouldn't be going widescreen. You should go for whichever aspect ratio you watch most, unless it's closely divided (like 50/50 or 60/40). In which case you should probably go widescreen since the likelihood of more widescreen sources will only continue to increase as time goes on.

3. crose

crose Auditioning

Thanks for the reply.

That makes me feel better. I was just looking at the prices of the LCDs. Yikes (for me anyway). The 34 widescreen would just look like a monster where we have the TV currently so that takes me back to the plasma.

Any good (relatively inexpensive) plasmas (37 or 42) that you would recommend? I know I should head on over to AVS forum, but I have a few jobs to get done while she is napping....

I would look at the DLPs but I have a feeling my wife would see the rainbows. She always notices things like that.

Chris

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Even if you replace this Sony, try not to get rid of it yet. It may be a simple fix. You may want to start another thread specifically for that and I will chime in there.

5. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

The generally regarded best 42" plasma for a good deal would be the Panny ED model - it's display only, no speakers, there's some other things different with it (like the warranty is take-to-service center rather than in-house). You can get it for about $3k from very very reputable online dealers who will ship it to your door.
    Some reading on AVSforum is definitely recommended for a purchase of this price (at least to me, I'm poor!).

Panny plasmas have the best contrast ratios and best black details of the plasmas -especially the ED unit at 3000:1. If you want true HD, it's a bit more, and the contrast ratios are 2000:1 - I think the HD unit runs $4k+.
    Pioneer has some good pricing on their 42" and 50" units that are true HD and well-regarded, but their black levels aren't quite as good.

On the ED units, you will find that most people couldn't tell the difference between HD downscaled a bit to ED from the true HD past about 8 ft - you will hear this tossed around a lot when you're doing your research. You should compare yourself as best you can in person.

Don't get me wrong on the plasmas - they can burn in. But if you calibrate the display and be nice to it at first, making it clear to your family members not to leave the TV on for background noise, and continue to be moderately nice to it later, you shouldn't have a problem. Read on AVSforum for feedback - the plasma forum (albeit pro-plasma) has a lot of good firsthand feedback from owners.

The better plasmas with longer lifespans (like Panny rates theirs at 60,000 hours to half brightness) should be, a logical leap here, more burn in resistant than the cheaper ones with shorter lifespans.

Plus, one of the longterm AVSforum moderators (not a Joe-6-pack user by a long run) had his Sharp Aquos LCD burn-in his satellite radio screen saver. Theoretically LCD burn-in should go away given some days of leaving the unit unplugged/depowered, but it didn't go away. So LCD has a little bit of weakness too (albeit very resistant)!

6. GregHC

GregHC Agent

Well you can 42" Gateway Ultabright EDTV

There is a coupon code for 600 dollars off, which drops the price down to 2400$ + 159 for shipping. I think the code was something like save600tv

Another option may bee a LCD or DLP progection tv. Not small enough for the wall, but pretty darn narrow. Little chance for burn in, and not nearly as big as a big screen.

I think you can pick up a 42" Sony for 2700 or so at place like Best Buy, Circuit City, or HHGregg. If you can pick up a recent flier for hh, they have it them 200-300 off list. You can bring that into CC or BB and get a them to match + 10%.

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Why a plasma panel? For far, far less you can get a CRT-based RPTV that gives you deep blacks and a punchier, more-defined picture.

8. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

The Gateway plasma is generally regarded as one of the bottom of the barrel units, as is many of the ALiS based units.

9. Drue Elrick

Drue Elrick Stunt Coordinator

I'd echo Neil's sentiment. It may not be more than $50-$100 to fix the TV. And you may wish to still fix it and use it for your child or regular 4:3 material to supplement the new flat panel TV.

10. PerryD

PerryD Supporting Actor

Fix a 10 year old TV? That doesn't make much sense since the TV is near end of life anyway. I went through the same decision making last year when our 27" family room TV crapped out. I was contemplating replacing it with a 34" high def Sony XBR, but that would have required replacing the entertainment unit also. Again, since it was mostly the kids TV (I have a home theater in the basement), I went with the regular def 27" flat tube Sony for around $450. Nicer than the previous set, but still a stop-gap to the eventual high def set.

11. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

I've been an authorized Sony servicer since '73 and a good rule of thumb has been "don't do MAJOR repairs after 7-10 years". What constitutes major varies from set to set and person to person but $100-$110 is a resonable cutoff point. For the "V" series a power supply and horizontal output failure (usually from solder joints failing in drive circuits) will usually run $90 - $150 and be very reliable afterwards. Tuner , video processing , microprocessor , transformer , or CRT failures are generally "no go". So far this chassis hasn't developed chronic catastrophic problems , something which will happen at some time in the future, but hasn't yet on this model. If you have a servicer you can trust then it's probably worth fixing and should give several more years of use. The advisability of fixing a 10 year old set depends on the history of the chassis design , hence the "servicer you can trust" requirement.

12. crose

crose Auditioning

Update (this is sort of pathetic, especially on this forum...)

Well, I dropped the TV off at the service center. An hour later, he calls and speaks to my wife. I hear her say sure, fix it. My hopes and dreams are tumbling at this point...

So, we are spending about 150 to $175 on getting the power supply fixed and in the mean time, watching my wifes old TV from college -- a 13 inch. It is so sad.

The real sad part is we were in Circuit City and looking at the cheapest plasma. She was gung ho and I was thinking no, we need to do some research here.... I guess I snoozed and loozed (I know that is not a word). The only benefit here is that hopefully in a year or so, when plasmas come down in price, she will want one and it will be an authorized purchase. Those unauthorized ones get me in trouble.

Thanks for all the advice.

Chris

13. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Chris:

Next year you will see more models at cheaper prices that do what you want to them to do. One thing to look out for while be the Toshiba/Canon SCD units that will be really flat and very efficient. Also, expect to see more DLP RPTV units that are in the 6 inch in thickness size. So, fixing your Sony now may have saved you a bunch of money to get exactly what you are looking for next year.

Parker

14. crose

crose Auditioning

Thanks Parker and all,

That last thought is what I am hoping for.

I guess I have not been following the forum as closely as I though, what are the Toshiba/Canon SCD units, if anyone has a second to post a link.

Chris (Currently boycotting TV as it is only 13")

15. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Chris:

One of the links I found on the subject is here.

Also, you can Google Toshiba and Canon and come up with several other pages about this new technology.

Parker

16. KevinE

KevinE Auditioning

Prices do not become cheaper, products do. You can pick up a plasma for $2,000 and a DVD player for $25.00. Years ago you could not find a plasma under $5000 or a DVD player under $500. Plasma's are as cheap as you will find them today.