TV Corner Discoloration

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jason Tracewell, Jul 14, 2003.

1. Jason Tracewell

Jason Tracewell Stunt Coordinator

I have a 32" Sharp TV set and recently I moved it out of the entertainment center it sits in so we could move it and when I put the set back, there was a green discoloration in the right hand corner of the screen when we turned everything back on... I figured it had to be the right speaker of the set since no other speakers or magnets got close to the set between the times I moved it.. We had the set on for about 10 minutes and since it was late, figured I'd worry about what to do in the morning..

When I got up in the morning, the set was fine again.. I had it on for a while and tried all the different inputs (Video 1, Video 2, etc..) and none of them seemed to be affected by the discoloration.. Which is good..

So my question is, do you think I have anything to worry about as far as any residual effects or the problem coming back? Or do you think it might have been a temporary problem that seemed to fix itself? I just want to know whether I should have it looked at or not, or if this might come back... Any help would be very great...

Thanks in advance,

-Jason

2. TylerN

TylerN Stunt Coordinator

Maybe it just needed to degauss itself? I had a similar problem but just turning the TV off and back on a couple of times cleared it up.

3. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

Agreed... you have no problem.

TV tubes are very sensitive to magnetic fields, and they "get used to" their environment. Often, when moved, the change in the local magnetic field will cause discoloration in the picture.

Virtually all modern sets by major manufacturers have built-in degaussers, which demagnetize the screen when power is applied (when you turn on the set). Occasionally, the set may need a couple of days and several cycles of power before the screen normalizes.

-Scott

4. Jason Tracewell

Jason Tracewell Stunt Coordinator

Cool, that's kinda what I thought, but it is always nice to get a second (or third) opinion... I just wanted to make sure...

Thanks again for the help!

-Jason

5. CharlesDLP

CharlesDLP Auditioning

Some direct view sets even have a "geomagnetic correction" option in the user menu such as Panasonic's HD direct view sets. This will further aid in ensuring the set is not affected by magnetically induced anomalies. By adjusting this setting you can make corrections for the set's placement in both the room, and in the grand magnetic scheme of the Earth as well. A simple degauss does not always do the trick if other factors are in play.