1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

TV contrast ratios?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Merimac Hamwich, Mar 7, 2004.

1. Merimac Hamwich

Merimac Hamwich Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone happen to have a link to a reliable source with TV contrast ratios?

I am trying to find them out becuase it will help alot in my decision for a new display device.

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

What is it that you're looking at, there are a LOT of display devices out there....

something like projectorcentral has lots of good digital projector info in one place, but it would be best to narrow down your options to a bunch of displays and researching them individually than just comparing various CR numbers, IMO.

Or are you asking in general in terms of display type and technology?

3. Merimac Hamwich

Thing is, I have already narrowed down my choices to a handful of projectors (which I know the contrast ratios for) and two TV's.

The TV's are both Samsung DLPs. The 46" Thin Bezel and the 50" Normal Bezel.

I just want the contrast ratios of the TV's to know if I am losing contrast and if so, how much, by moving to a Porjector.

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

CR can vary with projection all over the map of course. DLPs aren't going to have the best CR, but certainly better than a lot of LCDs. Moving to DLP projection, or another method of projection, it really varies on the model and generation. Older, and current entry level digitals still lack significantly, IMO, but the much more expensive ones are much much better. Projector central is a great source for some of this information on digital projectors. CRT projectors and TVs will have the best on/off CR if set up properly.

5. Merimac Hamwich

Thanks for the response but I already knew that. :b

I was wondering if I would be able to see specifics, haven't been able to find a webpage for TV contrast ratios myself, so I figured I'd ask here.