What's new

TV component stacking (1 Viewer)

Tim_George

Auditioning
I'm planning to buy a Hitachi 51s500, but am unsure what to do with all my components. Space will not permit a separate rack for them. The Hitachi is about 12" wide across the top. Is there any downside to putting my 20 pound receiver, vcr, dvd, cd, tape deck, & center channel speaker on top? Will the weight or magnetic fields or whatever affect the tv?

Thanks for any responses,

Tim

Luke_Lemmings

Stunt Coordinator
Don't think that's such a good idea.

First off, the weight of the components, especially the receiver, might cause possible dangers.
Furthermore, if some unfortunate accident should occur it would be disasterous.

I'm pretty sure placing a VCR or a DVD player on top wouldn't be that big of a deal but to put everything up there doesn't sound like a smart idea.

David Preston

Supporting Actor
If you build a stand like that and don't like to see wires you can put a backing on it. Then you can cut holes to run the wires through and behind the backing. As you can see Pat did a great job hiding all the wires he has. I was going to suggest a rack like that but Bob did better and gave you a pic. On my old RPTV I had a couple components on it. On my new one nothing but the center channel.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I would never put anything but a center-channel speaker on top of an RPTV. We've had members mention problems they've encountered putting receivers and other heavy components on top: mostly, bowing of the RPTV's chassis.

Tim_George

Auditioning
Thanks for the info--I just ordered the Hitachi 51s500 & when it arrives the only thing I'll put on top is the center speaker.

I have a spot which is about 6' to the left of the tv location where I can put a component rack---I was just concerned about the cost & efficiency of LONG cables. Does one need to buy Monster cables to achieve acceptable quality from dvds etc.

Tim

Bob Maged

Stunt Coordinator
Monster cables are very good but they are also overpriced. If you do not mind paying two-to-four times more for your cables, then get them. Much better values in store-bought cables are available from bluejeanscables, rhinocables, and others mentioned in this thread. I recently bought a 40-foot set of component cables from bluejeanscables. The exact cables came in two varieties -- as three separate cables or concealed in a sheath. I saved ~$80 by getting the separate cables and used twist-ties every two feet to keep them neat.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks