What's new

TV can't handle S and coax video at the same time (1 Viewer)

Jorge Rod

Agent
I just upgraded my system with a Denon 2802 and Panasonic RP62 (thanks HTF and 6th AVE!). After completing my connections, I realized that my old JVC TV (1994) can not handle both S and coax video inputs (when I connect both, the TV does not acept the coax signal). Is there an adapter I can buy to solve this problem? I need an S + coax video mixer with an S-video output. The coax input is for my VCR.

Thanks!

Jorge

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Why not connect the coax from the wall to the VCR as normally done, then (if equipped) run the RCA video and audio out from the VCR to the receiver, then run the outputs from the receiver to the RCA inputs of the TV? Yeah you'll need to switch between TV inputs (Video 1 etc on TV) to see VCR vs. the s-video stuff, but at least you'll have everything you need.

Just a thought...

Lee Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Lee Bailey
Try this link. This may be what you are looking for. Also, I believe that Radio Shack carries a composite to S-Video adapter.
Terk S-video switcher
This problem is not uncommon. My Sony will do the same thing. It sounds like you only have 1 video input set.

Jorge Rod

Agent
I guess I should have said composite video instead of coax video. Sorry about that. My TV has the regular 3 cable RCA inputs (red, white and yellow), one S video and one input for regular coax (cable TV, for example). I am wondering if the Terk unit combines the composite and S video signals into the output you want, or if it keeps the S and composite combining separate (it has one S and one composite video outputs).

I'll also check Radio Shack, but I am not sure if their products are that good (I am using AR cables).

Thanks!

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Ok I see now ...no the switcher doesn't combine signals, each one is seperate. It does have 1 S-Video OUT and 1 RCA YELLOW OUT but you have to plug each one into the TV's corresponding inputs.

I was in the same boat, and I finally bought a cheap S-VHS VCR and now everything I have is S-Video (Directv, DVD,and VCR) all going thru audio receiver, and then 1 S-Video cable to TV. Works great.

Having RCA and S-Video makes for a bunch of switching between inputs w/ your current set-up.

Good luck!

RichN

Stunt Coordinator
On most TVs that I know of, the S-video overides other inputs (composite). You will have to use your receiver to switch between the S-video and composite inputs (using video1 & video2).
RichN

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Your TV really accepts only one thing besides the antenna.
It's time to think about a new TV with more inputs. You need at least Video 1 and Video 2 and Video 3 choices on the remote for composite, S-video,a nd component video.
An S-VHS VCR usually makes a good composite to S-video converter but you still need to evaluate the picture quality for freedom from dot crawl. For testing use news or sports broadcasts with red and blue stripes with the player or newscaster name at the bottom.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Jorge Rod

Agent
On that same token, I am a little puzzled by the lack of improvement when going from RCA to S-video on the Dish Network signal. The DVD looks so clear and with so much color, it almost hurts my eyes. On the other hand, the dish looks pretty much the same as with RCA cables.

I know the sources are different, and the signal is traveling thousand of miles thru the air and RF cables, but have you guys seen any improvement with S-video in your systems? I don't see much (again, I am using AR cables).

I want to get a new TV, but want to get new speakers first. 2003 is my target for both, so I'll probably get a refurbished S-video VCR this year (any suggestions on where to get one?). That will be good enough for my daugther's old videos.

Thanks!

There is a switch box available that has 4 a/v inputs, L-R audio,composite video and s-video with the same options on the output. This should solve your problem for less than $50.00

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I am a little puzzled by the lack of improvement when going from RCA to S-video on the Dish Network signal.
I have noticed the same thing. Staggering difference on a DVD, but not on a DSS.

You are limited by how good the source material is. People tell me that if I had used a premium channel like HBO, I may have seen a bigger difference between Composite & SVideo. (I used a local network station so I could compare cable with DSS-composite and DSS-SVideo).

You SHOULD see a improvement on the program guide. All those straight lines should show a reduction in dot-crawl.

Jorge Rod

Agent
I have HBO, so I'll check. I did not notice much difference with ESPN.

John, are you talking about the same Terk switch box reccomended earlier? That box does not mix S-video and RCA into the same S-video output, which is what I need. If you are talking about a different switch box, let me know.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks