What's new

TV Calibration Questions(Color) (1 Viewer)

Derek Duncan

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, I have been a lover of DVD and LD for a while, but have never tried to calibrate my TV, I am only 19, so these things don't concern you till you get a little older. I don't have Video Essentials, but I am planning on getting it, but for now I am using the THX optimode, the service menu from my tv(a Sony 27" Trinitron) and my own common sense. Everything looks great, sharpness, bightness and contrast, and the colors are very vivid. My question is, for people with calibrated tvs, do your reds lean more toward orange, or pink, are your yellows bright or dark, and kinda dull, like a cheese color. My biggest concern is flesh tones, witch these colors change a great bit. Does your flesh tones appear more red, yellow, or in between. Mine are in between, kind of a peechy color, but sometimes they are very yellow, and sometimes very red, and on animated cartoons, very brown, it depends on the movie. For example, if anyone has these movies, please compare. Almost Famous has yellow tones, Josie and the Pussycats vary from yellow, to pink, and The Patriot(Mel Gibson) has some yellow, but mainly pink, most films I have are yellow, like natural flesh tones, but sometimes they appear red, depending on the movie, and sometimes a films menu will have pictures from the film that appaer to have yellow flesh tone, but have more pinkish in the film, and also when I try to get the fleshtones more yellow, to match the pictures on the box art, the whites become more yellow, and the blues can sometimes get a green tint. Also, does the box art of films, and the pictures within, in any way reflect what a film should look like, because the film or menus never look simular, but different from the box art and books. That's about it. I guess I am a bit picky, but whant to get it right, any response will be appreciated.
Derek

Chauncey_G

Second Unit
The problem with trying to figure out what colors are what to a fine degree is pretty hard when comparing between different films. One DVD's version of blue might not exactly match another's. For example, in "The Matrix", when they are actually in The Matrix, you notice how all of the colors are slightly green. This was intentional on the part of the directors to convey a sense of something being a little wrong. Another example is "Seven". In that film, the colors are all somewhat muted, another example of intentional color manipulation.
This is why a disc like Video Essentials is so important. It will give you a constant, definable image for you to set your TV to. Once that image is correct, then you can be assured that the colors you're seeing on your DVD's are what the director of the film intended you to see.
Good luck!

Jason Blaydes

Stunt Coordinator
i'm selling my copy of video essentials... let me know if you're interested. it's in perfect condition and only been used once. just e-mail me, peace :)

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Derek, the best way to calibrate your color on your TV is with a blue filter. If you get Video Essentials, it comes with one in the DVD case. Im sure theres plenty other ways to get one, but the idea is when you look at your picture through the blue strip, white, cyan, and magenta should all look exactly the same.
Also, the THX Optimode is setup for the movie you are viewing it on. Some THX Optimode discs contain different tests than others. I just played around with it on Anchor Bay's Suspiria disc, and it contains a test Ive never seen on other THX discs, in that it had the words COLOR and TINT each written in white, cyan, and magenta colors, and if you look at the screen through a blue filter, you dont see any colors anymore.

Bill_M

Agent
Using a DVD to calibrate probably won't calibrate for HD- just an added thought.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks