TV calibration question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith_R, Jul 11, 2002.

1. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    This is kind of a newbie question but I'm wondering about calibration. What is the point of calibrating your set with a disc like Avia or VE? does calibrating your set lower the risk of getting burn in from tlevision bugs, videogames etc.? Would calibration be nesscessary on a 20-27 inch set? thanks.

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Keith,
    Calibrating with AVIA or VE will bring your set closest to ntsc specs and thus make your dvds look as close as possible to the way the director intended.

It will also get rid of too high sharpness and contrast settings and allow you to adjust color for the most realistic picture.

While the damage to direct view sets from torch bright factory default settings isn't as fast as it is on an rptv, it will make your set last longer especially if you play a lot of video games.

The darker look takes a bit of getting used to, but once you're accustomed to it you will appreciate the more film-like look.

3. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

The discs help you to establish the optimal image conditions for your TV. These optimal baseline conditions are also there to increase the life of the set for the uneducated.

It is like telling you that you should not be driving your car at 7000 rpm ... but maybe 2500 to 3000 is better for the car. Your car will thank you too ... like your TV.

Regards

4. Michael Lomker

Michael Lomker Stunt Coordinator

I'd use Avia or VE on any set. It allows you to get the colors and brightness closer to accurate than you're likely to manage by eyeballing it. I've observed that most people's televisions are set too bright and the fleshtones are way off (generally too red). I can hardly look at it anymore.

The DVD's are quite cheap compared to a professional calibration so I don't see any reason not to do it.