TV/Cable Amp sound problems

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by DanKell, Jul 29, 2003.

1. DanKell

DanKell Auditioning

I have just made the jump and bought a 5.1 amp to add to my current setup. This makes my setup as follows:

TV - WS7675 28"
    DVD - Wharfedale DVD750
    VCR - JVC something or other
    Cable - TelewestDi4000
    Amp - Yamaha RXV430RDS
    Speakers - Wharfedale Moviestar 60+

Have now got the kit set up and the Amp works lovely with the DVD player - great sound - exactly what I wanted. The DVD is connected via co-ax to the amp and SCART straight to the AV-2 input in the TV.

The problem is the Cable (not too worried about the VCR - it's old and purely for recording off the TV if i'm not around)

The Cable box connects straight to the TV via SCART to AV-1. It also connects to the VCR by another SCART. The Aerial path is Cable-VCR-TV. Neither the VCR or the Cable Set-Top have any audio outs. The TV has audio outs linked to the DTV inputs on the amp.

When I purchased the system I mentioned this to the dealer and he said that I should be able switch to the DTV channel and everything would be routed through that channel.

Here lies the problem. When I switch to the Cable Channel (AV-1 on the TV; DTV on the amp) I get all the sound from whichever Terrestrial channel is selected, rather than the cable channel I am currently watching.

Any Solutions? I would rather like to use my shiny amp for more than just DVDs

Cheers

Dan

2. DanKell

DanKell Auditioning

Well, I've managed to get a kind of solution to this, but if anyone can suggest any further improvements I'd be happier...

The solution is this:

Retune the television so that AV-1 is also available as a standard channel (in my case 0). Switching to channel 0 then allows sound to be passed to the amp when the Cable channel is changed.

Here's the interesting thing though. If you now change the input across to AV-1, the sound still[/] follows the cable box. With the advantage that the TV detects the cable input as stereo.

Still a stage further than I would want to go, but better than it was...

Dan