TV buying help

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Kevinkall, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Kevinkall

Kevinkall Second Unit

I'm in the market for a new TV. I have up to $1000 to spend on a new TV. I was wondering if it's wise to get a lower end HDTV model or should I stick with a higher end analog set? I watch 90% dvds/10% cable, while my girlfriend watches 80% cable/20% dvds. I currently have a 4 year old 27" Sony Wega that has been amazing. I'm asking because from what I've heard, regular cable(non HDTV) doesn't look TOO HOT on lower end HDTV sets. Is this true? Any help on this matter would be GREAT! THANKS!

2. John S

John S Producer

Hmm, I would not equate the fact that Standard Broadcast and Standard Cable look bad on any particular HDTV as being lower end at all.

The weaker the channel the worse it looks, even on the same station feed, one program to the next can be significant.

HDTV's just show the SD crud well is all.

I find on my new set, that most channels / programs look decent on the set. On the worst channels my SVHS VCR provides a better picture, on the strongest best channels / programs my HDTV's NTSC tuner is best.

It does vary greatly from set to set, and even worse, most of the Brick and Motor retailers, will NOT show you broadcast and or cable sources for demo.

3. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

When people ask me about HDTV my answer is that if your going to spend more than $500 on a set I really think you should go with an HDTV set. And as far as that "Some" analog programs might not look too good on an HDTV set I think there are plenty of analog sources that look really good on HDTV sets. It's almost like saying I'm not going to go with cable or sat because some of the channels don't look too good. Just my 2 cents.