TV built into wall?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SamN, Jan 16, 2002.

1. SamN

SamN Agent

I have a Pioneer 532HD5 and am thinking about building in into the wall in my living room. I have a large unused closet directly behind where the TV is. What I wanted some help with was some pictures of something similiar if anyone knows of any, or any ideas how I should go about this. I know the basics, but I want it to look good. So, any input for this HTF newbie would be great!

Thanks,

Sam

2. Brett_V

Brett_V Extra

You'll need to first, make sure that the wall your recessing into isnt a load bearing wall. If it is, you'll need to install some jack studs above the TV to support the displaced load.

And what are you planning to do about sound? If you are using stereo speakers, are you planning on recessing those as well? It might look strange to have the TV recessed but not the speakers. And if you do recess the speakers you are making future upgrading a little more complicated and cost prohibitive.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, just making sure youve thought it through, and are certain you want to recess the TV. If your sure about the idea, then go for it! Adding jack studs when you open up the wall is no big deal, and if your handy with a spackling knife and some trim work, I'm sure you can make the job very appealing to the wife.

good luck, Brett

3. Brett_V

Brett_V Extra

Oh yeah, Ive seen a couple of these type installations in the photo gallery on audioreview.com

You might want to look thru their archives if you really want to see what the end result might look like.

4. DougRuss

DougRuss Stunt Coordinator

I did something similar. After my son moved out , I converted his bedroom into a Small HT Room( 10' x 12'). Removed the Closet door and Enlarged the opening to accept my 46" Sony. Decided what height I wanted it (personal preference) and built a Riser out of 2x6's to set it up on.
    Then I filled in the lower opening with plywood and Carpeted the whole wall. In fact, the whole room is carpeted, walls and floor [​IMG] !
    Went ahead while I had the Sawsall out, cut a opening in the wall to the left to put my Lovan Component rack into . Everything is accessable from the room behind the wall.
    =======================
    [​IMG]

5. SamN

SamN Agent

Hi, thanks for the replies. Also I like what you did in your room, it looks clean and high tech. The more I think about this, the more I don't want to do it. If I had a dedicated room, I would probably go for it, but with this being a living room it just doesn't seem like that great of an idea. I may just build a large cabinet to enclose everything instead, but thanks for all the feedback!

Sam

6. MarkMaestas

MarkMaestas Agent

You may want to reconsider. If it were a dedicated theater, I would leave the TV out. People expect to see a TV in a home theater area. But, since it is a living room, most people would like to make it less intrusive and more "built in". I would recess it, trim it out to match the existing trim in the room and then possibly put some cabinet grade doors over the opening. I've seen this done in many new homes. You might want to check out some of the Home Theater interiors magazines for ideas.

Good luck

Mark

7. aaron campbell

aaron campbell Second Unit

DougRuss, Very nice [​IMG]
    Aaron

8. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I Built the wall out with a cabinet, see the link below