TV Box sets (complete series) - Who????

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by MarkHastings, Dec 15, 2005.

1. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

This is more of a "fun / Jerry Seinfeld-ish" thread rather than an "in-depth analysis" thread.

Can anyone tell me who the studios are marketing with these sets? For example: Friends - The One with All Ten Seasons (Limited Edition) or Sex and the City - The Complete Series (Seasons 1-6). At approx. $200 a pop, who are these sets marketed toward?

Obivously only the hard core fans are going to buy these sets, but if you are a hard core fan, wouldn't you already own some of the previous seasons that were previously available?

Are they targeting the people who don't really care to have purchased the single seasons, but feel like they need to plop down $200 because they can own it ALL at once?

It reminds me of that old joke about the CD boxed sets. "You know, I don't own any Kenny Rogers music...perhaps I should buy EVERYTHING he's ever done!" [​IMG]

2. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I don't know. I've wanted to try out 24, but I never have. If all the seasons came out in one box at a savings over buying them individually, I'd probably go for it.

Edit: in fact, looking at Amazon, they have been packaged together.

3. Dheiner

Dheiner Gazoo

John Dhein
    Um, well, my guess would be recent first time purchasers of DVD players.

4. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

Had I not bought all of the Friends seasons as they were released I would have done it. It actually turns into a good deal, $20/season vs $30+ each. I can see late adopters to DVD or new to TV on DVD buying these. But they are a big bill in one chunk. I just got the first 3 seasons of 24 for $20 each thanks to Black Friday. It's amazing that Season 4 costs almost as much as those 3 combined did.

5. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    Due to Black Friday? Where and Why?

6. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

Well I would say if I'd bought the Buffy complete series box, I'd have saved a lot of money over buying the seasons individually. But no, I'm not going to "upgrade." That's a waste of money.

There are very few series that I want, that I haven't already started buying. Sopranos is one of them; if they did a complete series set I might be interested. But it'd have to be a hell of lot cheaper than the original season sets, which are outrageously priced and which I have always turned up my nose at because of the price.

7. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Best Buy had 24: Seasons One to Three for $20 each on Black Friday.

8. Bill>Moore

Bill>Moore Second Unit

I upgraded for the complete Buffy box set. I only had seasons 1-4 and hadn't gotten around to buying the last three seasons. Wasn't sure I was going to buy s6 and s7 at $45-50 each. When the complete set came out though (along with the Deep Discount DVD holiday sale), it became a good deal price-wise. I bought the complete collection for $111 and change from DDD for all seven seasons and sold my seasons 1-4 sets on ebay for $65.

So the difference for the additional three seasons ended up costing me only $15 per season, or three seasons for the price of one. Takes up a lot less space on my shelf, too. I don't know that I'd do it with shows that I've already completed, but it made it worth it to collect the rest of a show I only had partially collected.

9. Andy_Bu

Andy_Bu Supporting Actor

I bought the Buffy set (7 complete seasons for $113).

I always wanted to watch the series and at this price point it was a no brainer. It was perhaps the best value I have ever seen for 144 hour long episodes.

Andy

10. MishaLauenstein

MishaLauenstein Supporting Actor

Misha Lauenstein
    Quote: Can anyone tell me who the studios are marketing with these sets?

Those clever people :b who decided to save a couple of hundred bucks by waiting for the whole series to come out rather than buying them one at a time.

[​IMG]

11. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I never thought about that angle. That makes a lot of sense.

12. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Just think if the Star Trek full series sets were priced around the same as the Buffy set. I think people would impulse buy those like crazy. Maybe they aren't interested enough to rush to the store on the day and date of each season's release, but to see it all there on the shelf. . . .

Of course, they aren't exactly priced to move. I could almost see your point with the Star Trek sets. But, there are people like me who took a break after getting all of the TNG and DS9 sets who might be tempted to pick up all of TOS or even Voyager in one shot if there's a savings to be had.

13. Roger_S

Roger_S Stunt Coordinator

That is certainly a good point...only hardcore fans would buy the mega-sets...but then why should they when they already have every other season (with the possible exception of the most recent)? I have been buying Friends by season as they were released and I'm not buying 1-9 again just to get a nice box for them...

14. DwayneH

DwayneH Stunt Coordinator

I am a big fan of Star Trek but I have only bought the original series on dvd. The sets just cost too much and there are a lot of them. If they came out in season sets that were priced like Buffy or even $200 I would buy them. I will not pay $700 for a season of Star Trek. Sticking to my vhs for now.