TV Bland and Andy Griffith

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by StevenFC, Nov 12, 2003.

1. StevenFC

StevenFC Second Unit

Thumbs down to TV Land for cutting out one of the seminal scenes in all of Mayberry land. The scene is from "The Cow Thief" that aired in '62. It the one where the cow thief puts boots on the cows he steals. The scene I'm referring to is where Andy explains his theory to the Mayor and the special investigator. The Mayor in a huff leaves with the investigator and Barney goes with them. Then Barney comes back into the house and Andy says words to the effect that maybe his theory is a hair-brained idea. But TV Land cuts out Barney's reply that goes something like this:

"I remember when another mayor accused you of having a hair-brained idea. That's when you had the idea of making me your deputy"

That's one of the best scenes if not the best between the two characters.

So although I still like TV Land, they get a BIG thumbs down for not showing more respect for my favorite show. [​IMG]

Sorry, I just had to vent.

2. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

Nothing new, here...

Revisiting old TV shows on DVD is quite enlightening. As much of a fan of The Dick Van Dyke Show as I am, I don't think I'd ever seen an uncut episode until I got the DVDs.

Same with M*A*S*H, ST:TOS, and any other series more than 10 years old that we see in reruns. Remember, it's the commericals that make money for TVLand, et. al... not the shows. There are 7 or 8 more minutes per hour of commercials now than there used to be. They have to fit them in somehow...

Not that I enjoy edited shows, but it's been a common practice for a looonnng time.

-Scott

3. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

The whole Mayberry thing passed me by, or maybe was a bit before we had a TV, but I bought HOW TO FRAME A FIGG, and took quite a liking to Don Knotts, he seemed like the Pee Wee Herman of an earlier time.

As for editing, I wish they didn't reinvent every moment. Shades of Stalin doctoring the photos, or "club remixes" of boringly long songs. As for all the cutting for all the commercials they fit in nowadays, they'd have to pay ME to watch the crap. I'd rather buy the DVD instead.

4. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer